Oz
    mtbr member

07 Epic vs. 08 Epic

I know this is probably a question that has been asked before so forgive me if this is not new. I am getting back into mountain biking after a very long layoff, I have a 95 Cannondale F700, and was wonder if there is any difference between the frames of the 08 Epic and the 07 model? If not, when was the last time the frame was changed? How far back can I go without a change in the frame design, suspension, etc.? I am considering buying an Epic and would be fine with last years, or older, model if there is no significant difference. Thanks for any input you can give.

DV

mtbr member
    all the 08s come stock with the afr shock, as for quality, I couldn't say which was better. You had to buy the pro/marathon< to get that last year. Also, they went up in price. try to support your lbs, but if you find one pretty new for a good deal, try to swoop it up.

mtbr member
    In addition to what Stumpy Steve stated, there seems to be some additional slight changes in the head and seat angles. The headtube for a medium frame lengthened 10mm also, as did the wheelbase. I'm sure the bb raised a bit also. I'd love to hear from Specialized why, so I can see what the significance is. You can check all the specifics on the website: http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkM...007&spid=22022. I just bought an '07 Expert frame from which I will add my current bike's components.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    In my opinion 08 version is not so racing as previous versions because of changes in headtube.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    The route of the rear brake line is also different.
    The brake line is routed on the top tube and the seat stays for 07. For 08 it is routed on the down tube, below the bb shell, and the chain stay. This seems totally stupid for me, hopefully I bought a 07 marathon frame in time