mtbr member
    Oct 2007

07 Epic Headset Size

Has anyone tried replacing the stock headset on an 07 Epic with an off-the-shelf Chris King?

I've read and heard online that Specialized started manufacturing all their new Stumpys with 34.0 mm bore instead of 33.9 mm and this required a custom CK headset.

Is this the case with the newer Epics too?

mtbr member
    I am not 100% sure but it may only be on the Stumpy.
    I will ask my LBS this week if the Epic is different. I also will be putting the King headset on my 07 Epic in the next few days.

mtbr member
    Unfortunately many bike shops don't know about the change either. So, it might be beneficial to contact Specialized directly on this.
    1997 Specialized Stumpy Pro
    1998 Specialized Allez Epic
    2007 Specialized Stumpy FSR Elite
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Just got off the phone with Specialized and still don't have a good feeling about this... According to the tech on the phone, he said that ALL new Specialized bikes have gone to the 34.0 mm standard.

BUT, he said that I should still measure my headtube since manufacturing tolerances may mean that I can still use an off-the-shelf Chris King just fine.

I'd like to get a good feel for how likely it is that I'll be able to fit a Chris King. I've got a good offer for a new CK that I'd hate to pass up because of this.

mtbr member
    Well, I would recommend measuring it anyway just to be sure. However, since the OEM headset was likely 34.0 then I would replace it with the same measurement. Even if the headset were free it wouldn't be worth damaging my frame.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I'd measure, but then I'd have to pay to get my stock headset removed first. Catch 22?

mtbr member
    OK, so in summary:

"I found a Chris King headset cheap and want to be told I can get it. I see that there is mounting evidence that it will not work properly with my frame, but I still desperately want to get it. While it would be advisable to measure my frame for the headset, I don't want to spend the money to get the cups removed in order for this to happen. So somebody, please give me a shred of hope so I can fly in the face of history on these threads, and the vendor itself, and have this super-blingy headset that will probably destroy my frame anyway!"

As you can see, this doesn't really make sense. Don't do it. There is no reason to. Even the vendor told you what the standard is and to measure it for verification. There is no Catch-22 unless you are making it one.

Oh, and if your new CK headset ovalizes the head tube you can probably kiss the warranty goodbye if you later have problems with the cups creaking and can't get any headset to work with it. Of course this assumes that you are the original owner and/or the warranty is of value to you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Student Driver
    OK, so in summary:

"I found a Chris King headset cheap and want to be told I can get it. I see that there is mounting evidence that it will not work properly with my frame, but I still desperately want to get it. While it would be advisable to measure my frame for the headset, I don't want to spend the money to get the cups removed in order for this to happen. So somebody, please give me a shred of hope so I can fly in the face of history on these threads, and the vendor itself, and have this super-blingy headset that will probably destroy my frame anyway!"

As you can see, this doesn't really make sense. Don't do it. There is no reason to. Even the vendor told you what the standard is and to measure it for verification. There is no Catch-22 unless you are making it one.

Oh, and if your new CK headset ovalizes the head tube you can probably kiss the warranty goodbye if you later have problems with the cups creaking and can't get any headset to work with it. Of course this assumes that you are the original owner and/or the warranty is of value to you.
    That's why I love this forum, I knew someone would eventually talk some sense into me.

The things we even consider doing for BLING!!

Members who have read this thread: 0