mtbr member

from 07 to 08 stumpy shock question

Hello, I just sold my 07 Stumpy FSR comp and upgraded to an 08 Expert with the brain. I just rode it for the second time and it seemed better, but the 08 rear does not seem as plush. I lowered the air out of the back and little and that helped. I am assuming the rear shock just needs a little break in time. I also had the brain set to pretty much wide open, so dont' think that was it.

Are the 08 models meant to ride a little stiffer or does the shock need a little more break in?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    i bought an 08 sw stumpy early in the year brand new and noticed that the rear shock was relatively stiff compared to my wifes 09. i found out later that it was all stiction as the lube has dried out considering its an older model(even though brand new) sitting in storage. watch out for black streaks on the stanchion. as that is a sure sign of badly lubed seals. i used the bike (unknowingly) like that for a while and was pretty disappointed. once lubed, it was super plush and smooth. . night and day after the service. if not that, then it is just your suspension settings.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Fresh grease after extended periods of time even if unridden will improve performance. Seals also need to be replaced after extended periods of time as well, rubber dries out and cracks over time. This is why the service recommendation is at least annually regardless of ride hours. If you ride a lot within a year the service recommendation is every 50 ride hours a basic maintenance service and every 150 ride hours a full service or at least annually for both afr shock and futureshick fork components.
    Visit my profile for Links to:

Performance Guarantee, Service, Setup, E150 Maintenance....

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by buggyman
    Hello, I just sold my 07 Stumpy FSR comp and upgraded to an 08 Expert with the brain. I just rode it for the second time and it seemed better, but the 08 rear does not seem as plush. I lowered the air out of the back and little and that helped. I am assuming the rear shock just needs a little break in time. I also had the brain set to pretty much wide open, so dont' think that was it.

Are the 08 models meant to ride a little stiffer or does the shock need a little more break in?
    As was stated in this thread , it really helps to lube up the air sleeve with slick honey , they are alittle dry when new, also really check the upper shock eye bushing , when new they are really tight and do not slide well and cause alot of stiction and harshness.

I have had to press out many of the upper bushings and re-polish them down or make new bushings out of oil light bronz to get the sliding movement in the upper pivot, getting the bushing to move freely make one huge difference in plushness and feel .

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by buggyman

I would listen to Speci tech on this one. Your bushings are fine

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by shift96
    I would listen to Speci tech on this one. Your bushings are fine
    It would be advisable for buggyman to take the lower shock bolt off and actually see if the upper mount it tight and does not move freely .( real simple to do )
    He is going to do this to service the air sleeve anyway.
    There is no way you can say 'Your bushings are fine' whithout checking them .

Most of these upper bushings on the fox and the afr shocks are all very tight and cause stiction .( I repair many of these )

Don't you think he should be the one to actually check and see , rather than you giving assumed inaccurate information from your computer ?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kelstr
    It would be advisable for buggyman to take the lower shock bolt off and actually see if the upper mount it tight and does not move freely .( real simple to do )
    He is going to do this to service the air sleeve anyway.
    There is no way you can say 'Your bushings are fine' whithout checking them .

Most of these upper bushings on the fox and the afr shocks are all very tight and cause stiction .( I repair many of these )

Don't you think he should be the one to actually check and see , rather than you giving assumed inaccurate information from your computer ?
    Sure. Maybe he can machine up new ones with his lathe too. My point is he does not have to machine new ones like you suggest. I'll bet the farm on it.
    These bikes do not need all the "Mods" you always tell everyone they "Need to do" Listening to you, people think that their Specialized bikes were engineered by crack heads who have no clue how to design a bike.

Also, what is the name of this shop you have that repairs and mods all these bikes and the bikes of National MX caliber machines? Just curious what teams you wrench for. Maybe the OP can have you make him the parts you say he may need from your computer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kelstr

What I meant is that he does not need new custom machined bushings.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by shift96
    What I meant is that he does not need new custom machined bushings.
    He needs to find out if his upper bushing is tight and does not move freely, ( which most of them are ).
    He can buff the stock bushing down to allow it to move freely if he needs to , this is not a big deal .

He can buy a lathe if he want's to but it can be done in a drill press .

I do not see why you get all worked up , every man needs a lathe

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Who's worked up?

mtbr member
    thanks for the replies. It has loosened up after a ride or two. Still stiffer, but during the first tune up will ask for the shock to be checked.

Deere Rider
    Shock Needle Bearings

Just ebayed an '09 Stumpy frame w/ the Triad. Original setup had a ridiculous amount of binding in both the upper and lower shock mounts creating an insane amount of stiction. Installed the above shock needle bearings in an RP23--needed to grind down the axles to fit and used some plastic washers for spacers--and now both ends of the shock rotate amazingly smooth. No stiction at all except the compression of the plastic spacer washers as you tighten down the clamping bolt...and I thinned those down with some sandpaper to suit my preference. Pressed the original bushings out and the bearings in using sockets and a small press. These will go in all my future bikes if at all possible.

mtbr member
    Those look like they would work good.