Mtc
    mtbr member

'06 XT cranks issues

Anyone having issues with thier cranks on Expert/Pro model SJ's? Skipping, chain popping off anything stange.

Weapon of Choice
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtc
    Anyone having issues with thier cranks on Expert/Pro model SJ's? Skipping, chain popping off anything stange.
    I was in fact , when my lbs installed my new 06 XT crankset on my 05 fsr, they didnt put "spacers" on each side of crankset, I found this out when I upgraded my front LX derailer to XTR. Now my bike shifts flawlessly without problems, chainrubbing, etc. etc.. Im not 100% certain that it was the lack of these spacers missing upon installation that was the culprit, but the drivetrain is now smooth as can be. Mike

mtbr member
    May 2004

me too.....

I have a 06 Stumpjumper Expert and I have been having the same problems with the bike "ghost shifting". I think the problem might be the full length cable routing under the bottom bracket. When the suspension works it flexes the cable causing it to shift(at least thats my theory) Also, how many spacers do you have on the driveline and non-drive side? I have 2 driveline,1 non-drive.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbk66
    Also, how many spacers do you have on the driveline and non-drive side? I have 2 driveline,1 non-drive.
    Well I haven't had any problems with that... Two at the chainrings side and one other. I just installed LX Hollowtech II to my ht bike and Shimano's manual advices to do exactly that way..

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Hi. I have an 06 epic marathon - XT Hollowtech II cranks - purchased Jan 06. To date I have not had any problem with chain slipping etc and have given it a fair beating off and on road.