merc22nyc
    Mar 2006

'06 SX Trail vs. '06 Enduro (base edition)

Hey all I need a little help deciding which of these two bikes is best for me. I ride North East lift runs (Hunter, Killington, Plattekill), but just started last year (I am a newbie) and I am not a thrill junky or overly aggressive. I don't plan on taking any crazy hits, but any dirt kickers on the way down are all game for me right now. I expect I may get more confident with a quality bike and more experience. Basically, I just like going downhill 'cause it is real fast and much easier than going up (I am lazy and out of shape).

I am torn between the SX Trail and the base line Enduro. I test rode both and they are real sweet. The SX is certainly heavier, but the component setup is way more beefy. The Enduro is super light and super fast and a lot cheaper too (I'll be buying the complete bike set up). The SX Trail = $2700, the Enduro = $1900.

I will be doing some XC/light local trail riding when not on the lifts, so having a somewhat efficient climber is a great plus. I was a little worried about the weight of the SX Trail. I am a big guy 6'1" 225lbs. Would the base line Enduro be able to handle the 10+ times I take it on the lift runs this season or am I too heavy for that bike? I will be riding a large size. I fear I might be bottoming out off any little jumps or even worse blowing out the shock 'cause I am a big guy. And for that reason I am thinking I should stick with the SX Trail.

Those I have asked so far have told me that in a year or two I will outgrow the base line Enduro and that is why I should grab the SX Trail. I guess they assume I will really get involved in this sport and start taking some decent hits and jumps with the bike. Like I said I am real new to this and this would be my first freeride type of bike.

Thanks for any feedback.

mtbr member
    Spring for the SX, it is a great all around bike, it will last, and will treat you great. It is the best all around i have ever ridden. Huck it or not.

merc22nyc
    Mar 2006
    ok thanks for the vote of confidence. I heard the SX Trail was sick but I could only demo it on pavement. Even the Enduro was sweet too. If I knew for sure it could take my weight and size I would consider picking that bike up. It was fast and light and would be a great all around bike.