no-one

06 SX trail shock - 9.5" x 3" will it fit & work?

Hi,

I just bought a SX trail frame. And I would like to try to increase the rear travel. So i was wondeirng if a 9.00" x 3" will fit the frame?
    Without any parts hitting frame/links when bottoming?

I already did an "upgrade" like this on my 06 Enduro by mounting a Fox Van R - 2.75" x 2.75". This increased the travel from 140mm to 165mm. Every little bit helps!

So if someone has tried this before, please let me know if it works. by the way it's a SX TRAIL - MEDIUM - 2006 model!

So same question but with a 9.5 x 3" shock. My mistake 9" x 3" doesn't exist..... oops

thanks
    Last edited by no-one; 08-11-2008 at 03:38 AM. Reason: other shock size question

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Yes, it will increase the travel slightly, but it will raise the BB and steepen the head tube. I wouldn't recommend it. It depends on the shock, whether it will fit or not. I believe it voids the warranty as well. I don't mean to be a killjoy here...

dirt visionary
    a 3" stroke will cause frame contact. I don't recommend it.

no-one
    Quote Originally Posted by JustFuzzIt
    Yes, it will increase the travel slightly, but it will raise the BB and steepen the head tube. I wouldn't recommend it. It depends on the shock, whether it will fit or not. I believe it voids the warranty as well. I don't mean to be a killjoy here...
    If the shock length is the same the BB & geometry will stay the same (just like on the Enduro). And the shock length will be the same, it's just a Fox Van R with more stroke (3.00") but same length as original (9.00"). So geometry changes won't be an issue here.

Clockwork: You say it will cause frame contact. Is that contact in the back where the link will hit the frame? Even with the "high" bottom braket shuttle?
    Has anyone tried this (by mounting the shock without a spring, or in the field off course )?

thanks

dirt visionary
    Yes the link will hit the frame. On full compression my medium almost touches with the stock shock . With the high mount it gives me a little bit more room but not much and not enough for and extra 1/4 stroke which would be almost an extra 1/2" of rear travel.

no-one
    Okay, Thanks for the answer.
    That's too bad. It would have been nice to end up with at least 7" of travel. I might give it a try with some spacers. But first I'll have to find a shock....
    Thanks for the answers. So nobody actually tried this before?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Doh, just assumed that you were putting a longer shock on there (w/o reading)

I would give it a try with some spacers to get it a bit closer.

no-one
    Well you're not the only one with a reading problem... me to.
    I thought it was 9.00 shock but apparently it's 9.50"..

So new question.... 9.5" x 3" rear shock. Low shuttle.... would that work? Will the geometry be about the same as with a 9.0" shock and the high shuttle? And the most important... link-frame contact???

I know I could buy a 7 to 7'5 inch rear travel frame. But I'm just looking into the options to "pimp" this one, like I did with my Enduro.
    Last edited by no-one; 08-11-2008 at 03:35 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 1