mtbr member
    Mar 2006

06 Stumy Expert TRIAD HELP

hey all, just got my 06 stumpy expert about two weeks ago, i'm 240+ currently, and running the triad and fox talas at factory recommended pressures 255psi/125psi, i'm not really complaining about anything, i think the setup is running pretty nice, (i'm coming from a 2000' rockhopper so i think anything would feel like butter) but i figured i'd put some feelers out there to anyone that has some experience with this set up and see if you have recommendations as to how to set up the triad and or talas RL i have both rebounds set as fast as possible, travel set at 120mm front, and the triad is 120mm

thanks all,

-gh

SXtreem now
    The triad should have a 1/4" of sag, The pressure in your fork sounds about right. You should slow down the rebound in the rear shock, turn it to your likings, i like mine slow. you do not want to run the rebound all the way out because it will buck you on bigger hits and possibly send you over the bars. Slow the fork also, makes for a much nicer ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    thanks for the help on the triad, i'm currently measuring in at 1" of sag, and i couldn't find a reference in the manual to save my life. i'll pump some more psi in there.. as for the rebound, maybe it's because my sag is off.. but i haven't been getting bucked at all.. 242 lbs is a lot to buck off a bike.. ?? i'll mess around with the talas, like i said i'm coming from a 2000' rockhopper with a manitou magnum R up front so this whole set up is feeling real nice.

thanks again

-gh

mtbr member
    I am 198lbs and run my Triad at 230psi. Any more and the bike hard and stiff. Any less and it feels soft and mushy. I run both rebound adjustments right in the middle.

Originally I setup by Triad according to the manual. 200lbs = 200psi. This is wrong. Small bump compliance is great but the bike squats on everything else and medium sized hits (6" to a foot) use every mm of travel. I continued to add air to the shock to the point of deminishing returns in a trail bike environment.

Using my ratio, the recommended pressure would be 281psi (almost the limit of the shock).

BTW, measure your eye to eye. Mine is currently stuck down (I am still riding it) and I have noticed some loss in bump absorption.

Got Ventana
    I have a 06 Syumpy Expert. Im about 190 lbs and run my shock at about 220psi, good bump compliance and also handles 2-3 foot drops, wouldn't want to do too much more though. My fork is set a little bit back from max rebound and my shock is set a little (2-3 clicks on the triad) foward of the slowest setting. Pretty good overall setup

Mediocrity at its best
    Aug 2004
    Just got my '06 Expert, so I haven't played with the shock and fork much. Sorry can't give any good recommendations on the air. But, I do think you should back off the rebound and see how it feels. I'm running my Triad in the middle and the Talas is five clicks from the slowest rebound.
    Imagination is more important than intelligence. - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy84
    I have a 06 Syumpy Expert. Im about 190 lbs and run my shock at about 220psi, good bump compliance and also handles 2-3 foot drops, wouldn't want to do too much more though. My fork is set a little bit back from max rebound and my shock is set a little (2-3 clicks on the triad) foward of the slowest setting. Pretty good overall setup
    How much you get sag with that pressure? I'm 180lbs and found nice setup with 200psi and ~1cm sag.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    hey all just posting an update.. once again i'm 242, i'm running 270 psi in the triad and rebound 6 clicks from fastest, and running the talas RL at 120 psi and rebound 6 clicks from the slowest and also bumped it up to full travel (was running it at 120mm the setup feels a lot nicer than i had it..

thanks all for your help

-gh

mtbr member
    Just thought I'd chime in with my two cents. I have the same bike and originally I had the Triad set at 195 lbs and the fork at 95 lbs. I'm 6' and about 195 lbs. I went for a ride with a buddy of mine and we found a little downhill drop off. Not much of a drop, maybe 1 1/2 feet but you can get get some pretty good speed coming down. I flipped to full open on the Triad and went for it. The bottom of the seatpost hit the mudflap I have installed and broke the top zip-tie. It made quite a loud noise, I thought that I just broke my new bike!! Anyway, I took the the bike back to my LBS and they had me put more air in the shock and they cut my seat post about 2". If you have a mudflap, be aware this could happen. When I bought the bike the right height for the seat was with the seatpost was all the way down to the weld stop on the frame. I couldn't lower it at all. Now I can move it down if I wanted to. My LBS said to make adjustments to the shock 5lbs at a time, and you can actually feel the difference. Now I ride with 205 lbs. in the Triad, 95 lbs in the Talas and both rebounds set in the middle. Now it is an awesome ride! I think you have to play around with all these settings for a while to get get them right. Maybe even take a small shock pump out with you for a couple of rides. This was a learning curve for me coming from a HT Stumpy with V-brakes. Now if it will just stop raining!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Great info!! Just got my expert. I am 220 and the chart is saying to run at 145 on the triad. Feels spongy. I am going to add some air.

mtbr member

Good job!

69Cruizer, I think you may have read the chart wrong. Your triad should be set at 215 lbs at least. The chart says 210 - 220 (rider weight) should be 215 - 225 PSI and 220 -230 (rider weight) should be 225 - 235 PSI. You will bottom it out for sure set at 145 PSI. I have it set pretty close to my weight (w/all my gear, camelback etc...) Watch that o-ring on the shock to see how much travel you're getting. Mine is maxing out about 1/2 from the end, and I leave it in the pro-pedal position all the time. Good luck cruizer, and good choice of bikes!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks for all the info!!! I have the rear at 250 now and its much better!! The chart the bike shop has must be wrong. The manual I have if for DHX, FLOAT, VANILLA. Does not say triad on it. Wrong manual??? or is the triad the same as a float??? How much should I run in my Talas?? I have the rebound set in the middle, seems pretty good. I just got on the scale..... a petite 225!!!

Mediocrity at its best
    Aug 2004
    69cruizer,

It sounds like you are confusing the manual for the front fork with the manual for the rear shock. If I remember correctly, the cover of the manuals look identical.

Float, Talas, etc are front forks. The air pressures are generally on the order of half your weight. It sounds like you are referring to the fork manual.

I believe the Triad is an OEM version of an RP3. Someone here will correct this if I'm wrong. The air pressure approximately your body weight plus 5%.

Good Luck,

Jim
    Imagination is more important than intelligence. - Albert Einstein

mtbr member

How much is too much in the Triad?

G'day.

Just got my Stumpy Expert. Absolutely love it. Put in about six hours on it since I picked it up on Friday and cant wipe the smile off my face.

I'm still experimenting with the shock and fork pressures.

I weigh 250 pounds and am running 275 pounds in the Traid. I'm thinking i'd like it a bit firmer. I have played with the rebound, but have been having to much fun to figure out what the right setting for me is with that.

Anyway, can anyone tell me what the maximum pressure is that I can pump into the shock?

From memory I think the manual says 285, but doesn't actually state what is the maximum pressure.

I thought that was strange, as I guess pumping it up to much would void the warranty.

Could you blow the seals out (or whatever else might happen) if it was over pressurized?

Cheers.
    Mark.
    ride your bike, ride, ride, ride...