mtbr member
    Aug 2005

06 stumpy? specs

right now I'm looking at the specialized expert 120. I was at one of the lbs by me, and they had the 120, but they also had some 06 stumpys. They were priced at $2200 and the color was blue. I asked the guy there if that was the 06 100 or 120. The answer he gave me wasn't quite clear because he said the 06 had more travel than the 05, and that the 06 had 6" of travel, but I know thats not true. So whats the diff? From what I could see the specs were similiar. O and on the 06 blue frame it said comp, but the specs were way to good for just a comp. (it had a fox float 130 on the front, fox triad on the rear, avid juicy sevens, xtr rear, etc). So I'd like to find out how much travel the 06 has and more complete specs because if the 06 has 5" as well I might lean towards the 06. Sorry if this sounds a little confusing, but I'm confused myself. If anybody can help that would be great, thanks.
    I'm part of PETA....[SIZE=3][SIZE=2]People Eating Tasty Animals[/SIZE][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    No more 100's for '06, they're all 120 or 130 if I remember correctly.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    correct, the epic is made to be a little more active to take over the 4 inch trailbike category.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    So if the comp has 5'' also now, then which do you think is a better buy? Thanks.
    I'm part of PETA....[SIZE=3][SIZE=2]People Eating Tasty Animals[/SIZE][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    So the 06's are already in stores?

Two wheels are best
    I stopped by my LBS last Friday and was told that the base SJ still was 100mm...I didn't have time to actually look at the book, however.

The rear travel was increased from 120mm to 130mm on the '06's.
    Never be afraid to try something new.

Remember amateurs built the Ark.
    Professionals built the Titanic.

smw
    pedal pusher
    I am having my 06 built up today. It has 120mm of travel or just shy(5mm) of 5inches. Its cheaper than the 05 due to a change from the Talas in front. My lbs has them on sale for $2000. I dont much care for the color of blue, but I am sure it will grow on me. It definately does not have 6 inches. The cheaper($200) version has mech. disc brakes instead of hyd. For some reason I believe I remember the expert coming with Juicy 5's but I could be wrong.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by smw
    I am having my 06 built up today. It has 120mm of travel or just shy(5mm) of 5inches. Its cheaper than the 05 due to a change from the Talas in front. My lbs has them on sale for $2000. I dont much care for the color of blue, but I am sure it will grow on me. It definately does not have 6 inches. The cheaper($200) version has mech. disc brakes instead of hyd. For some reason I believe I remember the expert coming with Juicy 5's but I could be wrong.
    What fork does it have instead of the Talas?

mechmann_mtb
    only the Sworks has 130mm from what i have read.

the higher end bikes have 120 still. the lower end bikes have 100.

i was at IE bikes the other day and they have the same two '06's on the floor. nice bikes, but i don't care for the colors.

smw
    pedal pusher
    I bellive its a Float, the travel is not adjustable otherwise its the same fork.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperChicken
    So if the comp has 5'' also now, then which do you think is a better buy? Thanks.
    I have an 2005 SJ120 and it is a Comp model! Oh yeah, I live in Canada so we had that model here this year, but no SJ100.

The only differences between mine and the Expert are:
    Fork: Manitou Black Super RTWD (no lockout) instead of Fox Talas
    Brakes: Deore Hydro instead of XT
    Shifters: Deore instead of LX
    Tires: Adrenaline 60 TPI (dual compound) instead of 120 TPI (dual compound)

The difference in price was $270 CDN.

I think that it's great, especially now that I've starting playing with my rear suspension settings, depending on the terrain.

mechmann_mtb
    RE: talas shocks

today the wife and i were riding Daley Ranch, it was my first ride with my brand new 05 Enduro. i must say that the Talas feature on my 36R rules. i totally underestimated the advantage of dialing down the front end. on the first climb i had the talas set to full travel and wound up having to walk the climb. after that i dialed it down to min. travel and the improvement in climbing was HUGE.

now all i have to do is figure out how to keep up with the wife on the climbs. she has only ridden MTB three times now and she is dropping my butt on every climb!!!! i am gonna have to make her carry her own gear to slow her down (i currently have 1 liter more water, her camera, the pumps, the spare tubes and patch kits, and the trail tools, that and my bike weighs 2lbs more and i weigh 70lbs more)

mtbr member
    How much time does it take to dial down the suspension on the Talas?
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    About seven seconds on my Talas RL...

mechmann_mtb
    i didn't time how long it takes to dial it up or down (there is no resistance so it isn't hard to do), but it doesn't take long. just reach down with the left hand while riding and turn the knob.

"Fox 36R to flight control, the transformation to DH mode is complete, commencing bombing run"

mtbr member
    Thanks, I was just wondering if this was something I need to consider in regards to this post:

'05 Enduro Expert vs. '06 Enduro Elite?

We don't have a lot of really long climbs where I live, it's more glacial moraines and kettles. So while the ups and downs aren't long, there are many of them. Just wondering if the travel adjustment is something I'd want to be doing for only a 30-45 second climb.
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarekith
    Thanks, I was just wondering if this was something I need to consider in regards to this post:

'05 Enduro Expert vs. '06 Enduro Elite?

We don't have a lot of really long climbs where I live, it's more glacial moraines and kettles. So while the ups and downs aren't long, there are many of them. Just wondering if the travel adjustment is something I'd want to be doing for only a 30-45 second climb.
    I ride in similar up/down conditions like you, so I hardly use the travel adjustment on mine. That being said, on the occasional longer climbs (5+ minutes), I've tried it and I still don't know if I like it or not (about 40 hrs on the bike). I was on the fence between Medium and Large, opted for Medium, and feel like the bike is too small when I have the travel reduced to 90 mm, it could be a perception thing though. Maybe if I was on a Large it would be different.

Just my 2 cents!

smw
    pedal pusher
    Quote Originally Posted by smw

Well I changed my mind! I brought home a new Enduro Comp instead of the Stumpy( I already have a bike like a Stumpy), so I decided to go with a differant style. I call it my beater, for blasting downhill and riding stunts and drops. It seems to plow over and through obstacles with ease( head tube angle slacker). The comp has 130mm of travel. When I do shuttle and chairlift riding this is the ride Ill choose.

mtbr member
    Any chance you could weigh that Comp if you have the means? I'd love to know exactly what the Comp weighs.
    Tarekith.com