Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

06 StumpJumper PRO

DAMN... that girl is sweet

Mtc
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by knobularlife
    DAMN... that girl is sweet
    I can't quit looking at it. I noticed they came available from Specialized. Mmmmm

mtbr member

picture please

Please take a picture and post it so I can druel too!

mtbr member

SJ 120 Pro

I went into my LBS at lunch today and was able to test ride in the parking lot a 06 Stumpy 120 Pro & the S-Works 120. Both are very nice rides, a soild feel with seemingly more travel. For kicks they let me put both XL frames on the scale and the SJ120Pro was a mere 28.3lbs, S-Works was 26.5. These are out of the box ready to ride bikes.
    I cant wait to see a carbon frame.
    I like, I like.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Mmm, yes the Pro sure is a lovely looking bike. Question is: is it worth the extra money over the base model Comp??? I'm very interested in the Brain Fade, but not convinced about it. I just can't help think the Comp is really great value for money.

For the record, according to specialized, 2006 FSR 120 Pro weighs 26.89lb, Expert 27.22lb and Comp 27.57lb (all medium frames).
    Last edited by browny; 09-23-2005 at 04:13 AM.

K n e e m o i
    Quote Originally Posted by browny
    Mmm, yes the Pro sure is a lovely looking bike. Question is: is it worth the extra money over the base model Comp??? I'm very interested in the Brain Fade, but not convinced about it. I just can't help think the Comp is really great value for money.

For the record, according to specialized, 2006 FSR 120 Pro weighs 28.89lb, Expert 27.22lb and Comp 27.57lb (all medium frames).

It makes sense that the PRO is heavier due to the brain.

Mtc
    mtbr member
    Looks like he edited the post to 26.89, not 28.89. Didn't think the brain weighed that much.
    Attached Images Attached Images

K n e e m o i
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtc
    Looks like he edited the post to 26.89, not 28.89. Didn't think the brain weighed that much.
    so the PRO is 0.23 lb, or 110g lighter, I guess lighter components to make up for the brain weight would do it. I seriously doubt that the brain shock is ligher than the other shock that comes on the expert though. Oh what the hell, 110g is nothing, a good dump would take care of that.

Mtc
    mtbr member
    Yeah they had to throw some sweet parts to get it that light. It is a beauty.
    The Triad would have to be lighter, but we did have a 10 day old SJ Expert come back with a blown shock hopefully it was a fluke. Haven't seen any other Triad issues before.

mtbr member
    DAMIT...Thats it .....Im selling the 05....Im gonna buy me some 06 love

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I've examined both the '06 Expert and Comp Models at my LBS, and am trying to decide between either one to replace my '04 Stumpy Comp Disc HT, which is wreaking havoc on my lower back. My question is this: if I didn't care so much about the other differences in components (brakes and crankset), does the Talas fork on the Expert justify the $600 premium over the Float fork on the Comp? Could someone familiar with the Talas tell me if I would I eventually end up missing the travel adjustment feature?
    Last edited by Bulldozer27; 09-23-2005 at 10:53 PM.

mtbr member
    I would certainly miss it. I use it all the time when climbing up something bigger... The bike is so much better when climbing when the fork is at 90mm.

I also like the xc-ish geometry that the 90mm setting gives and use it for or riding longer distances on gravel roads. The 90mm setting also shifts your weight forward a little bit which helps in reducing pedal bobbing to a minimum.

Go for the TALAS, you won't regret it...

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    whats the price on that 06 stumpjumper?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Damn, I guess I gotta go for the Expert. Thanks for the detailed reply regarding the Talas.

Here are the prices of the 06 Stumpy FSRs at my LBS:

Stumpy FSR: $2000
    Stumpy FSR Comp: $2200
    Stumpy FSR Expert: $2800

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Sorry to mix and match threads, but I have a brain fade question I was wondering if someone who had ridden a Stumpy Pro could help me with.

I've had my Stumpy for a bit over a week now and the brain fade is not quite what I expected. The shock has about 3mm of play where there doesn't seem to be much damping and it makes a sucking sqwelchy sort of noise over that first 3mm. With the brain fade on 'firm' the compression dampening is definitely firmer, but I can still push it through a fair whack of travel just pressing down on the seat.

I've had an Epic and the brain on the stumpy just doesn't seem to give any real benefit for pedalling efficiency because it stll bobs around a fair bit. Do you think my shock has issues, or is this the way the stumpy you've ridden is?

Hope someone can help - mine is the only one in the state at the moment so I'm a bit limited for caomparisons!

K n e e m o i
    Quote Originally Posted by J Specialized P
    Sorry to mix and match threads, but I have a brain fade question I was wondering if someone who had ridden a Stumpy Pro could help me with.

I've had my Stumpy for a bit over a week now and the brain fade is not quite what I expected. The shock has about 3mm of play where there doesn't seem to be much damping and it makes a sucking sqwelchy sort of noise over that first 3mm. With the brain fade on 'firm' the compression dampening is definitely firmer, but I can still push it through a fair whack of travel just pressing down on the seat.

I've had an Epic and the brain on the stumpy just doesn't seem to give any real benefit for pedalling efficiency because it stll bobs around a fair bit. Do you think my shock has issues, or is this the way the stumpy you've ridden is?

Hope someone can help - mine is the only one in the state at the moment so I'm a bit limited for caomparisons!

I by no means have a clear answer to your question, but I seriously hope that you didn't buy the Stumpjumper Pro with the brain being brainwashed that it will be a successor for the Epic. Because if you bought it thinking that the bike will have the hardtail-like performance of the Epic, with the shock opening when it hits a bump, and yet still retain the plushness of the Stumpjumper, then I think you totally missed the hole on this one. Would Specialized do something so stupid to destroy the niche for the Epic? I for one, think that if you can feel the difference between the brain settings, then it is probably working as it should. If it was meant to replace the epic, then Specialized wouldn't be selling those anymore. Logical? Yes I think so.
    Last edited by Daffunda; 09-25-2005 at 06:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Sorry to hijack this hijacking, but . . .

Is there an online source for specs on the 06 Stumpjumper? The Specialized website still has 05's as of right now.

Antagonist
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeldog
    Is there an online source for specs on the 06 Stumpjumper? The Specialized website still has 05's as of right now.
    I've been playing with my '06 FSR for a few weeks now. From what I understand, there are no "120's" anymore, since that's the baseline now. Pro may have 130mm.

Mine came with Fox Triad/Float suspension, 317 Mavics with Avid discs, Deore shifters with XT derailers. Mine was 29lbs on the scale at my LBS where i picked it up here in Austin.

pics at http://spill.erf.net/bike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spill
    I've been playing with my '06 FSR for a few weeks now. From what I understand, there are no "120's" anymore, since that's the baseline now. Pro may have 130mm.

Mine came with Fox Triad/Float suspension, 317 Mavics with Avid discs, Deore shifters with XT derailers. Mine was 29lbs on the scale at my LBS where i picked it up here in Austin.

pics at http://spill.erf.net/bike

Sweet ...have fun with that!!!

Antagonist
    Quote Originally Posted by knobularlife
    Sweet ...have fun with that!!!

Heh.... thanks. That's the plan. Getting back into riding again after giving it up several years ago (BMX/Freestyle stuff on a Kuwahara KT-Bravo back in the day). Was a self indulgent reward for quitting smoking cold turkey after 16 years. |: Having a blast, though. Been riding at least every other day for the past 3 weeks now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spill
    Heh.... thanks. That's the plan. Getting back into riding again after giving it up several years ago (BMX/Freestyle stuff on a Kuwahara KT-Bravo back in the day). Was a self indulgent reward for quitting smoking cold turkey after 16 years. |: Having a blast, though. Been riding at least every other day for the past 3 weeks now.
    PROPS on the NO SMOKING
    Last edited by knobularlife; 09-25-2005 at 09:55 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldozer27
    Damn, I guess I gotta go for the Expert. Thanks for the detailed reply regarding the Talas.

Here are the prices of the 06 Stumpy FSRs at my LBS:

Stumpy FSR: $2000
    Stumpy FSR Comp: $2200
    Stumpy FSR Expert: $2800
    Is the Talas fork the only thing you really covet on the Expert, as opposed to the Comp? Depending on what other parts upgrades are including on the Expert, it might be worth it to buy a Comp, sell the fork while it is still brand new, and buy a Talas. That would cost less than $600.

Having said that, there may be other parts included in the Expert package that make it worth the additional $600. It's usually the case that parts are much cheaper when purchased as part of complete bike as opposed to buying them separately.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Daffunda
    I by no means have a clear answer to your question, but I seriously hope that you didn't buy the Stumpjumper Pro with the brain being brainwashed that it will be a successor for the Epic. Because if you bought it thinking that the bike will have the hardtail-like performance of the Epic, with the shock opening when it hits a bump, and yet still retain the plushness of the Stumpjumper, then I think you totally missed the hole on this one. Would Specialized do something so stupid to destroy the niche for the Epic? I for one, think that if you can feel the difference between the brain settings, then it is probably working as it should. If it was meant to replace the epic, then Specialized wouldn't be selling those anymore. Logical? Yes I think so.
    No, I didn't expect it to be as firm as an Epic - I've had one of those and I wanted something plusher. However, I just don't see the point of the brain fade if the best you can do is get firm compression that still bobs around! You might as well have a triad shock on there which gives you propedal and a proper lockout compression circuit - at the means of a switch maybe, but at least you have the option of fully locked. It just seems like a bit of an in-between with no real point. I am thinking I'll get the brain tuned to be more like an epic, which in the Fox manual is supposed to go from fully locked to soft trail tune as opposed to firm trail tune to soft trail tune. If they can do it with an Epic why not on the Stumpy? I know, I know, the whole nich market thing, but it seems as though the Epic is invading Stumpy territory if it covers a wider range of bump sensitivity. And it's only 20mm less travel for '06. Maybe I bought the wrong bike...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I don't think the Expert is worth the extra cash over the Comp. Ok it would be nice to have the adjustable travel forks as opposed to the fixed 120mm, but I don't think I'd adjust them very often. I know everyone has their preferences, but in my (very) limited experience (a 4 day test ride) I found myself playing around with them to begin with, but then just left them at the full 130mm setting. The upgrade in the brakes (Avid Juicy 7 over Juicy 5) and the cranks (XT over Truvativ) don't do it for me either, so the Comp has to be the better buy than the Expert in my eyes. I'm sure others may disagree.

As for the Brain Fade, the comments here are very interesting. Unfortunately I haven't tried it for myself as I can't find a Pro to get a ride on. The Brain Fade is the reason I'm considering buying a Pro (and of course the SRAM X0), so if you guys with the Pro's could do it all over again, would you buy a Pro or a Comp (or an Expert)???

Thing is, I can get a 2005 S-works for the same price as the Pro, so I'm in a bit of a dilemma. Based on what has been said here, I just don't know if the Brain Fade is worth paying for. Of course, the 05 bike has the Septune, but that's another story isn't it?

Keep the comments coming guys!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Let me clarify a few things - I don't want to be responsible for turning people off the Brain fade and Stumpy Pro. It is a fantastic bike - out of the box the only thing I changed was the fairly tacky silver stem and seatpost (and I'm building some new wheels but that's just because I can), and on the trail it rides very nicely indeed. My previous bike was an '03 Epic and if you've ever ridden one of those they are rock hard until you hit a substantial bump - a good step up for a dually virgin. My only qualm with the Stumpy Brain is that it is softer than an Epic brain - perhaps not much different to the newer Epic brain fade on a medium setting. My shock has some strange play and sqwelchy noise for the first bit of travel and I'm wondering if there is some air stuck above the dampening rod which may be giving me some excessive bob.

Really, if you have ridden your average dually without lockout then the Stumpy is a hell of a lot better on the flat and uphill - it just moves around a little which is a bit disconcerting for me because I'm used to nothing moving at all. Standing up for a hill you can't really notice any huge movement but the rear end definately sticks to the ground. I haven't ridden propedal but I imagine the 'firm' brain fade is similar to this but the benefit is that you get full compliance when you run over something. It climbs really well when you get the rebound right, seated or standing. It just won't be fully locked on the flat stuff.

Regards to the Talas upgrade for the Expert - I would get them one way or the other. They rock. I have found myself frequently playing with the levels and dropping it down for a climb is just so darn handy. Not to mention the fun to be had winding them out from 95 and watching them spring out to a trail bike-esk 130mm! SRAM X.0 is also amazingly good. So crisp and immediate - I don't miss my dual-controls as much as I thought I would!

So there you go - hope that sways you back towards the Pro - it is a very cool bike.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast