Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

06 StumpJumper PRO

DAMN... that girl is sweet

Mtc
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by knobularlife
    DAMN... that girl is sweet
    I can't quit looking at it. I noticed they came available from Specialized. Mmmmm

mtbr member

picture please

Please take a picture and post it so I can druel too!

mtbr member

SJ 120 Pro

I went into my LBS at lunch today and was able to test ride in the parking lot a 06 Stumpy 120 Pro & the S-Works 120. Both are very nice rides, a soild feel with seemingly more travel. For kicks they let me put both XL frames on the scale and the SJ120Pro was a mere 28.3lbs, S-Works was 26.5. These are out of the box ready to ride bikes.
    I cant wait to see a carbon frame.
    I like, I like.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Mmm, yes the Pro sure is a lovely looking bike. Question is: is it worth the extra money over the base model Comp??? I'm very interested in the Brain Fade, but not convinced about it. I just can't help think the Comp is really great value for money.

For the record, according to specialized, 2006 FSR 120 Pro weighs 26.89lb, Expert 27.22lb and Comp 27.57lb (all medium frames).
    Last edited by browny; 09-23-2005 at 05:13 AM.

K n e e m o i
    Quote Originally Posted by browny
    Mmm, yes the Pro sure is a lovely looking bike. Question is: is it worth the extra money over the base model Comp??? I'm very interested in the Brain Fade, but not convinced about it. I just can't help think the Comp is really great value for money.

For the record, according to specialized, 2006 FSR 120 Pro weighs 28.89lb, Expert 27.22lb and Comp 27.57lb (all medium frames).

It makes sense that the PRO is heavier due to the brain.

Mtc
    mtbr member
    Looks like he edited the post to 26.89, not 28.89. Didn't think the brain weighed that much.
    Attached Images Attached Images

K n e e m o i
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtc
    Looks like he edited the post to 26.89, not 28.89. Didn't think the brain weighed that much.
    so the PRO is 0.23 lb, or 110g lighter, I guess lighter components to make up for the brain weight would do it. I seriously doubt that the brain shock is ligher than the other shock that comes on the expert though. Oh what the hell, 110g is nothing, a good dump would take care of that.

Mtc
    mtbr member
    Yeah they had to throw some sweet parts to get it that light. It is a beauty.
    The Triad would have to be lighter, but we did have a 10 day old SJ Expert come back with a blown shock hopefully it was a fluke. Haven't seen any other Triad issues before.

mtbr member
    DAMIT...Thats it .....Im selling the 05....Im gonna buy me some 06 love

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I've examined both the '06 Expert and Comp Models at my LBS, and am trying to decide between either one to replace my '04 Stumpy Comp Disc HT, which is wreaking havoc on my lower back. My question is this: if I didn't care so much about the other differences in components (brakes and crankset), does the Talas fork on the Expert justify the $600 premium over the Float fork on the Comp? Could someone familiar with the Talas tell me if I would I eventually end up missing the travel adjustment feature?
    Last edited by Bulldozer27; 09-23-2005 at 11:53 PM.

mtbr member
    I would certainly miss it. I use it all the time when climbing up something bigger... The bike is so much better when climbing when the fork is at 90mm.

I also like the xc-ish geometry that the 90mm setting gives and use it for or riding longer distances on gravel roads. The 90mm setting also shifts your weight forward a little bit which helps in reducing pedal bobbing to a minimum.

Go for the TALAS, you won't regret it...

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    whats the price on that 06 stumpjumper?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Damn, I guess I gotta go for the Expert. Thanks for the detailed reply regarding the Talas.

Here are the prices of the 06 Stumpy FSRs at my LBS:

Stumpy FSR: $2000
    Stumpy FSR Comp: $2200
    Stumpy FSR Expert: $2800

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Sorry to mix and match threads, but I have a brain fade question I was wondering if someone who had ridden a Stumpy Pro could help me with.

I've had my Stumpy for a bit over a week now and the brain fade is not quite what I expected. The shock has about 3mm of play where there doesn't seem to be much damping and it makes a sucking sqwelchy sort of noise over that first 3mm. With the brain fade on 'firm' the compression dampening is definitely firmer, but I can still push it through a fair whack of travel just pressing down on the seat.

I've had an Epic and the brain on the stumpy just doesn't seem to give any real benefit for pedalling efficiency because it stll bobs around a fair bit. Do you think my shock has issues, or is this the way the stumpy you've ridden is?

Hope someone can help - mine is the only one in the state at the moment so I'm a bit limited for caomparisons!

K n e e m o i
    Quote Originally Posted by J Specialized P
    Sorry to mix and match threads, but I have a brain fade question I was wondering if someone who had ridden a Stumpy Pro could help me with.

I've had my Stumpy for a bit over a week now and the brain fade is not quite what I expected. The shock has about 3mm of play where there doesn't seem to be much damping and it makes a sucking sqwelchy sort of noise over that first 3mm. With the brain fade on 'firm' the compression dampening is definitely firmer, but I can still push it through a fair whack of travel just pressing down on the seat.

I've had an Epic and the brain on the stumpy just doesn't seem to give any real benefit for pedalling efficiency because it stll bobs around a fair bit. Do you think my shock has issues, or is this the way the stumpy you've ridden is?

Hope someone can help - mine is the only one in the state at the moment so I'm a bit limited for caomparisons!

I by no means have a clear answer to your question, but I seriously hope that you didn't buy the Stumpjumper Pro with the brain being brainwashed that it will be a successor for the Epic. Because if you bought it thinking that the bike will have the hardtail-like performance of the Epic, with the shock opening when it hits a bump, and yet still retain the plushness of the Stumpjumper, then I think you totally missed the hole on this one. Would Specialized do something so stupid to destroy the niche for the Epic? I for one, think that if you can feel the difference between the brain settings, then it is probably working as it should. If it was meant to replace the epic, then Specialized wouldn't be selling those anymore. Logical? Yes I think so.
    Last edited by Daffunda; 09-25-2005 at 07:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Sorry to hijack this hijacking, but . . .

Is there an online source for specs on the 06 Stumpjumper? The Specialized website still has 05's as of right now.

Antagonist
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeldog
    Is there an online source for specs on the 06 Stumpjumper? The Specialized website still has 05's as of right now.
    I've been playing with my '06 FSR for a few weeks now. From what I understand, there are no "120's" anymore, since that's the baseline now. Pro may have 130mm.

Mine came with Fox Triad/Float suspension, 317 Mavics with Avid discs, Deore shifters with XT derailers. Mine was 29lbs on the scale at my LBS where i picked it up here in Austin.

pics at http://spill.erf.net/bike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spill
    I've been playing with my '06 FSR for a few weeks now. From what I understand, there are no "120's" anymore, since that's the baseline now. Pro may have 130mm.

Mine came with Fox Triad/Float suspension, 317 Mavics with Avid discs, Deore shifters with XT derailers. Mine was 29lbs on the scale at my LBS where i picked it up here in Austin.

pics at http://spill.erf.net/bike

Sweet ...have fun with that!!!

Antagonist
    Quote Originally Posted by knobularlife
    Sweet ...have fun with that!!!

Heh.... thanks. That's the plan. Getting back into riding again after giving it up several years ago (BMX/Freestyle stuff on a Kuwahara KT-Bravo back in the day). Was a self indulgent reward for quitting smoking cold turkey after 16 years. |: Having a blast, though. Been riding at least every other day for the past 3 weeks now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spill
    Heh.... thanks. That's the plan. Getting back into riding again after giving it up several years ago (BMX/Freestyle stuff on a Kuwahara KT-Bravo back in the day). Was a self indulgent reward for quitting smoking cold turkey after 16 years. |: Having a blast, though. Been riding at least every other day for the past 3 weeks now.
    PROPS on the NO SMOKING
    Last edited by knobularlife; 09-25-2005 at 10:55 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldozer27
    Damn, I guess I gotta go for the Expert. Thanks for the detailed reply regarding the Talas.

Here are the prices of the 06 Stumpy FSRs at my LBS:

Stumpy FSR: $2000
    Stumpy FSR Comp: $2200
    Stumpy FSR Expert: $2800
    Is the Talas fork the only thing you really covet on the Expert, as opposed to the Comp? Depending on what other parts upgrades are including on the Expert, it might be worth it to buy a Comp, sell the fork while it is still brand new, and buy a Talas. That would cost less than $600.

Having said that, there may be other parts included in the Expert package that make it worth the additional $600. It's usually the case that parts are much cheaper when purchased as part of complete bike as opposed to buying them separately.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Daffunda
    I by no means have a clear answer to your question, but I seriously hope that you didn't buy the Stumpjumper Pro with the brain being brainwashed that it will be a successor for the Epic. Because if you bought it thinking that the bike will have the hardtail-like performance of the Epic, with the shock opening when it hits a bump, and yet still retain the plushness of the Stumpjumper, then I think you totally missed the hole on this one. Would Specialized do something so stupid to destroy the niche for the Epic? I for one, think that if you can feel the difference between the brain settings, then it is probably working as it should. If it was meant to replace the epic, then Specialized wouldn't be selling those anymore. Logical? Yes I think so.
    No, I didn't expect it to be as firm as an Epic - I've had one of those and I wanted something plusher. However, I just don't see the point of the brain fade if the best you can do is get firm compression that still bobs around! You might as well have a triad shock on there which gives you propedal and a proper lockout compression circuit - at the means of a switch maybe, but at least you have the option of fully locked. It just seems like a bit of an in-between with no real point. I am thinking I'll get the brain tuned to be more like an epic, which in the Fox manual is supposed to go from fully locked to soft trail tune as opposed to firm trail tune to soft trail tune. If they can do it with an Epic why not on the Stumpy? I know, I know, the whole nich market thing, but it seems as though the Epic is invading Stumpy territory if it covers a wider range of bump sensitivity. And it's only 20mm less travel for '06. Maybe I bought the wrong bike...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I don't think the Expert is worth the extra cash over the Comp. Ok it would be nice to have the adjustable travel forks as opposed to the fixed 120mm, but I don't think I'd adjust them very often. I know everyone has their preferences, but in my (very) limited experience (a 4 day test ride) I found myself playing around with them to begin with, but then just left them at the full 130mm setting. The upgrade in the brakes (Avid Juicy 7 over Juicy 5) and the cranks (XT over Truvativ) don't do it for me either, so the Comp has to be the better buy than the Expert in my eyes. I'm sure others may disagree.

As for the Brain Fade, the comments here are very interesting. Unfortunately I haven't tried it for myself as I can't find a Pro to get a ride on. The Brain Fade is the reason I'm considering buying a Pro (and of course the SRAM X0), so if you guys with the Pro's could do it all over again, would you buy a Pro or a Comp (or an Expert)???

Thing is, I can get a 2005 S-works for the same price as the Pro, so I'm in a bit of a dilemma. Based on what has been said here, I just don't know if the Brain Fade is worth paying for. Of course, the 05 bike has the Septune, but that's another story isn't it?

Keep the comments coming guys!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Let me clarify a few things - I don't want to be responsible for turning people off the Brain fade and Stumpy Pro. It is a fantastic bike - out of the box the only thing I changed was the fairly tacky silver stem and seatpost (and I'm building some new wheels but that's just because I can), and on the trail it rides very nicely indeed. My previous bike was an '03 Epic and if you've ever ridden one of those they are rock hard until you hit a substantial bump - a good step up for a dually virgin. My only qualm with the Stumpy Brain is that it is softer than an Epic brain - perhaps not much different to the newer Epic brain fade on a medium setting. My shock has some strange play and sqwelchy noise for the first bit of travel and I'm wondering if there is some air stuck above the dampening rod which may be giving me some excessive bob.

Really, if you have ridden your average dually without lockout then the Stumpy is a hell of a lot better on the flat and uphill - it just moves around a little which is a bit disconcerting for me because I'm used to nothing moving at all. Standing up for a hill you can't really notice any huge movement but the rear end definately sticks to the ground. I haven't ridden propedal but I imagine the 'firm' brain fade is similar to this but the benefit is that you get full compliance when you run over something. It climbs really well when you get the rebound right, seated or standing. It just won't be fully locked on the flat stuff.

Regards to the Talas upgrade for the Expert - I would get them one way or the other. They rock. I have found myself frequently playing with the levels and dropping it down for a climb is just so darn handy. Not to mention the fun to be had winding them out from 95 and watching them spring out to a trail bike-esk 130mm! SRAM X.0 is also amazingly good. So crisp and immediate - I don't miss my dual-controls as much as I thought I would!

So there you go - hope that sways you back towards the Pro - it is a very cool bike.

K n e e m o i
    Quote Originally Posted by J Specialized P
    Let me clarify a few things - I don't want to be responsible for turning people off the Brain fade and Stumpy Pro. It is a fantastic bike - out of the box the only thing I changed was the fairly tacky silver stem and seatpost (and I'm building some new wheels but that's just because I can), and on the trail it rides very nicely indeed. My previous bike was an '03 Epic and if you've ever ridden one of those they are rock hard until you hit a substantial bump - a good step up for a dually virgin. My only qualm with the Stumpy Brain is that it is softer than an Epic brain - perhaps not much different to the newer Epic brain fade on a medium setting. My shock has some strange play and sqwelchy noise for the first bit of travel and I'm wondering if there is some air stuck above the dampening rod which may be giving me some excessive bob.

Really, if you have ridden your average dually without lockout then the Stumpy is a hell of a lot better on the flat and uphill - it just moves around a little which is a bit disconcerting for me because I'm used to nothing moving at all. Standing up for a hill you can't really notice any huge movement but the rear end definately sticks to the ground. I haven't ridden propedal but I imagine the 'firm' brain fade is similar to this but the benefit is that you get full compliance when you run over something. It climbs really well when you get the rebound right, seated or standing. It just won't be fully locked on the flat stuff.

Regards to the Talas upgrade for the Expert - I would get them one way or the other. They rock. I have found myself frequently playing with the levels and dropping it down for a climb is just so darn handy. Not to mention the fun to be had winding them out from 95 and watching them spring out to a trail bike-esk 130mm! SRAM X.0 is also amazingly good. So crisp and immediate - I don't miss my dual-controls as much as I thought I would!

So there you go - hope that sways you back towards the Pro - it is a very cool bike.
    Thanks for clearing that up. You know, after reading and thinking about this issue for a while, I came to a conclusion.

1. Mountain bike technology I think is plateauing. It really doesn't seem like it would be much better in the future, as most of the high end bikes are awesome already.

2. As for the Epic comment, I think that Brain Fade technology which enables the shock to be fully turned off on an Epic is a gimmick. "Brain Fade!!! It's the new era of shocks!!! If you don't have one, get one!!" Seems like a marketing scheme to me. Turning off the rear shock on an Epic seems like a pointless idea. I think I'm more fond of the threshold adjustment shock. It will just be a hardtail with an extra weight on the back.On a Stumpjumper, it makes sense, as turning it off would yield bob-free ride. It almost seems like the technology is so up there, that they decided to add on a few bells and whistles to make it look better. Just my two cents.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It would seem to me that as far as the 2006 line up is concerned, if you purchased a 2004 or 05 you might as well wait a while. Other then some new graphics, some sram here or there and triad being brought back there is not a whole lot of difference. I would suspect that if you can get a deal on an 05 that you should go for it. As far as the plateau of mountain biking technology is concerned you must remember this is a sport of trends. Remember when suspension forks first came out and the big choice you had to make was to get one or to get some clipless pedals? That being said the 2006 stumpy's look sweet.

K n e e m o i
    Quote Originally Posted by CHSAD
    It would seem to me that as far as the 2006 line up is concerned, if you purchased a 2004 or 05 you might as well wait a while. Other then some new graphics, some sram here or there and triad being brought back there is not a whole lot of difference. I would suspect that if you can get a deal on an 05 that you should go for it. As far as the plateau of mountain biking technology is concerned you must remember this is a sport of trends. Remember when suspension forks first came out and the big choice you had to make was to get one or to get some clipless pedals? That being said the 2006 stumpy's look sweet.
    Good point indeed. This is a sport of trends, I didn't think like that. I still remember back in the day when mountain bikes didn't come with front suspension, and that was an sweet mountain bike that everyone dreamed about.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Daffunda
    Thanks for clearing that up. You know, after reading and thinking about this issue for a while, I came to a conclusion.

1. Mountain bike technology I think is plateauing. It really doesn't seem like it would be much better in the future, as most of the high end bikes are awesome already.

2. As for the Epic comment, I think that Brain Fade technology which enables the shock to be fully turned off on an Epic is a gimmick. "Brain Fade!!! It's the new era of shocks!!! If you don't have one, get one!!" Seems like a marketing scheme to me. Turning off the rear shock on an Epic seems like a pointless idea. I think I'm more fond of the threshold adjustment shock. It will just be a hardtail with an extra weight on the back.On a Stumpjumper, it makes sense, as turning it off would yield bob-free ride. It almost seems like the technology is so up there, that they decided to add on a few bells and whistles to make it look better. Just my two cents.
    To build off your epic comment, maybe the right word instead of "gimmick" is unescesary! For me at least the epic brain works soo well I wouldnt need to turn it off

just like a speeder-bike
    Forgive the gratuitous drooling over your bike porn. But did Spesh just nail it with the looks on your SJ or what? I love that rich red color. Sigh.

K n e e m o i
    Quote Originally Posted by bhsavery
    To build off your epic comment, maybe the right word instead of "gimmick" is unescesary! For me at least the epic brain works soo well I wouldnt need to turn it off
    I used the word "gimmick" to describe the ability to fully turn the brain off. (Trail Tune, not the 05 and earlier ones) I think the current epic brain works so darn well also. Adding the "trail tune" to fully turn the brain off is just an unnecessary "bells and whistles" if you ask me, that's why I called it a "gimmick." It's almost as silly as buying a Hummer H1 and not going off road.

MDJ
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005

There are some differences

Quote Originally Posted by CHSAD
    It would seem to me that as far as the 2006 line up is concerned, if you purchased a 2004 or 05 you might as well wait a while. Other then some new graphics, some sram here or there and triad being brought back there is not a whole lot of difference.
    From my understanding, the bottom bracket has been raised in 2006 (after many complaints) and the head tube angle is slacker, making it more of a trail bike. These two changes, if true, are mainly what are causing me to wait for the '06s and not look for a steal on an '05.

mtbr member

Little things

One of the little things I noticed on the Stumpy 120pro was the SRAM and full housing on the cables. Just one less way dirt can get in to the cables. It would explain way they went with SRAM this year to keep the cable bends close.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

06 Pro looks like 05 Expert

Here is a pic of my 05 Expert 120. So far I've added Crossmax SLs, XT cassette, Eggbeaters. Next are carbon bars and a yet to be determined external bearing crankset
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MDJ
    From my understanding, the bottom bracket has been raised in 2006 (after many complaints) and the head tube angle is slacker, making it more of a trail bike. These two changes, if true, are mainly what are causing me to wait for the '06s and not look for a steal on an '05.

Looking at the 06 geometries on the specialized website, only the Carbon S-Works appears to have the raised BB height and different head angle over the 2005 models.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

2006 SJ Pro BB Height Question

Looking at the 06 geometries on the specialized website, only the Carbon S-Works appears to have the raised BB height and different head angle over the 2005 models.
    I noticed the same and was a little disappointed. However, I'm wondering if the brain on the PRO will make it ride higher in its travel, as well as allowing the suspension to stay balanced while using the tallest possible fork setting. I figure the combination of the two would boost the BB height a little bit -- at least until you hit the big bumps that compress it right when you need the extra height most.

Can anyone who's ridden an 05 and the 06 Pro attest to whether the new one is less likely to donk a pedal in a rock garden?

Adobo Lover

For the record, according to specialized, 2006 FSR 120 Pro weighs 26.89lb, Expert 27.22lb and Comp 27.57lb (all medium frames).

I hear yah. The Pro is the only color I like out of the lowest priced FSR's. At that price, I think I would rather spend the extra money and go for a custom bike(SC Blt or Nomad) where most of the parts are hand picked by me.

Mtc
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 95Stumpy
    I hear yah. The Pro is the only color I like out of the lowest priced FSR's. At that price, I think I would rather spend the extra money and go for a custom bike(SC Blt or Nomad) where most of the parts are hand picked by me.
    How long do you keep your bikes? Because in two years when(not if) it breaks that will be a nice peice of recycle ben art. I work at a Specialized and SC dealer and nothing makes a customer madder than bringing in thier cracked Heckler(JRA of course) and getting told"Sorry that will be X# of $$$". Thats really my only knock on SC though. We built a sweet looking Nomad yesterday.
    What part of the SJ Pro build don't you like? Just curious, I personally am not a SRAM guy, but and extra 2K for one M5 tubed S-Works is a joke.
    Have you looked at the Expert? The grey and black looks nice.

Adobo Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtc
    How long do you keep your bikes? Because in two years when(not if) it breaks that will be a nice peice of recycle ben art. I work at a Specialized and SC dealer and nothing makes a customer madder than bringing in thier cracked Heckler(JRA of course) and getting told"Sorry that will be X# of $$$". Thats really my only knock on SC though. We built a sweet looking Nomad yesterday.
    What part of the SJ Pro build don't you like? Just curious, I personally am not a SRAM guy, but and extra 2K for one M5 tubed S-Works is a joke.
    Have you looked at the Expert? The grey and black looks nice.
    I keep my bikes pretty long. 95 Stumpy Comp FS. Drivetrain is still original and yup I still have the Gripshift SR-700 X-rays. My friend that is a wrench said it's still going strong. So, I'm not hard on my bike. Actually, looking at the S website again, I was confused. I thought the Pro was the Expert. Looking at the Pro specs, yes it's a pretty sweet ride out of the box. Only thing I would change would be the shifters(sorry triggers got to go old school). As I have gotten older, I had to change my riding position. At 3800 dollars that bike should fit me like a dream. Yeah, I might have to spend more for the Nomad but 3800 is around where a higher end component BLT would be I'm not worried about overall weight of the bike anymore, just looking for pure comfort. I can pick out the color. I can play with the riding position a little bit by swapping out parts to get that perfect fit. I'm 5'6" with a 28 inch inseam. Most people at my height on this forum are in between sizes. Besides, my wife asked me when I was looking at a Yeti 575(just trying to get my bike addiction quenched early, it was very comfortable) that was on sale at REI whether or not I would be satisfied with the bike. I said, yeah but I would like to swap out some parts. She told me wait and buy my dream bike. Buy the bike how I want it. Yeah, the Nomad is a sweet ride, especially in ano blue.

BigDridesBigS
    Oct 2005

Stumpjumper Comp the way to go

If you are value minded like me, the Comp is the way to go. I had been researching my puchase and saving $$$ for over a year. When the 06 line came out, I jumped on the Comp because it has all the same quality parts as the Pro without the big price tag. I felt like the differences between the Juicy 5 and 7, Fox Float and TALAS, and Septune to Triad were not big enough to warrant the extra $$$. I am someone who likes to get out on the trail and ride, I do all my tuning and adjustments before the ride. The red knob on the Juicy 7s, the seven adjustments on the Septune, and the TALAS height adjustments seemed like bells and whistles I didn't need. The Comp is simple, easy and for under $2K its a quality bike on a budget. My 2 cents...

Adobo Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDridesBigS
    If you are value minded like me, the Comp is the way to go. I had been researching my puchase and saving $$$ for over a year. When the 06 line came out, I jumped on the Comp because it has all the same quality parts as the Pro without the big price tag. I felt like the differences between the Juicy 5 and 7, Fox Float and TALAS, and Septune to Triad were not big enough to warrant the extra $$$. I am someone who likes to get out on the trail and ride, I do all my tuning and adjustments before the ride. The red knob on the Juicy 7s, the seven adjustments on the Septune, and the TALAS height adjustments seemed like bells and whistles I didn't need. The Comp is simple, easy and for under $2K its a quality bike on a budget. My 2 cents...

I think the comp is way to go too if I'm going to go with the Stumpy. It's either I'm going big time with the BLT or be sensible. I still have a few months to decide.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDridesBigS
    I think you are comparing the Expert with the Comp, not the Pro. And as far as I'm aware the Septune is no-longer, with everything below the Pro getting a triad. You are probably right - there doesn't seem to be a lot of difference between the Comp and Expert, although the TALAS is an excellent fork and you'd be surprised how handy and easy the travel adjustment is. The XT cranks would also be good, but apart from that and the brakes there's not a lot in it. Good buy for those on a budget I agree.

mtbr member
    Soooooooo.......Anybody got some sadle time on one of these girls I would like to here some feedback on the new rear suspension setup.......C'mon tell it like it is

Emu's Taste Like Chicken
    Jan 2004
    I've gotten 3 rides so far. Coming of an SJ Pro Hardtail w/ SID fork. I've got most of the settigns adjusted to make the bike as hardtail like as possible. I plan on working from there to find the ideal set up. This thing is sweet. Climbs hardtail like until I get out of the saddle, then it does bob a little, but I think it is more me not being used to 130mm of VERY plush travel in the forks than the rear end moving up and down. I've yet to ride with anyone to see if the back end moves around. The shifting is superb, brakes are great (first time on discs, so anything may be great ?).

I'd like to get a ride on a non-brain FSR just to see a difference, but pushing hard in the saddle, the rear end does NOT bob at all, yet still has the ability to soak up roots, water bars and rocks with ease.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatHurt
    I'd like to get a ride on a non-brain FSR just to see a difference, but pushing hard in the saddle, the rear end does NOT bob at all, yet still has the ability to soak up roots, water bars and rocks with ease.
    I've had mine for a while now, and I've spent probably 15hrs riding with various settings on the shock. Climbing is very good; downhill is excellent; it loves singletrack. However, it is not a hardtail and it is not an Epic and for ThatHurt to say there is no bob at all then the shock must be pumped up pretty hard. The Stumpy shock is meant to have a little movement before the brain kicks in - it's what makes it more responsive and supple than its race-oriented brother. That said, on anything except sealed roads you would be hard pressed to notice any rear end movement unless you paid close attention to the rear brake cable movement in relation to the frame.

Out of the saddle there is a little more movement, but the shock 'beds down' into the sag after the first hard pedal stroke and then moves minimally unless you run it into something. I've found that it climbs really well up rocky trails, with the 120mm really floating you up.

I run my shock at 170psi for my 167lbs weight, and keep the brainfade on 'Firm' pretty much all the time. You can make the bike fully active by ramping the brainfade down to 'Soft' if you so desire.

In regards to the bike spec - the TALAS are great, X.0 is fantastic, and XT is its usual durable and well-performing self. I love the bike and think it is great fun to ride.

mtbr member
    Thx very much for both your post!!! It really sounds like you guys are enjoying the bikes Don't be afraid to test out the brain fade from time to time How do you guys like the Sram gear?
    Love too hear more as time goes.....Enjoy those SWEET steeds!!!!!!
    Thx again for the post.

~boat

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    interesting reviews, I really wish there was one around here to try, but none of the local shops are stocking the Pro (too expensive).

So the real question i have is this, is it a big or worthy upgrade over a septune "propedal" shock?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bhsavery
    interesting reviews, I really wish there was one around here to try, but none of the local shops are stocking the Pro (too expensive).

So the real question i have is this, is it a big or worthy upgrade over a septune "propedal" shock?
    Well, I couldn't have afforded it if I didn't work at a dealer. As for the brain being a worthy upgrade over a Septune shock, it is a hard call. Personally I love the brain, but others here have praised the performance of a Septune shock just as highly. I think you should look at the whole bike as well, because the TALAS RLC forks are fantastic, SRAM x.0 is really really good and all the other bits are pretty high-end. As a package I think it is a very good bike, but granted it is fairly expensive. I like not having to switch anything on the fly, but the option of fully active rear suspension is still there if you want it.

Surely a local dealer would get one in, or at least ask their Specialized rep to bring one with him next time he visits and let you know. I'm sure Spec would be more than happy to let you try one.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    There are some good deals in the UK now on 05 s-works SJ's. They can be had for £699 including the seatpost (thomson one).

One thing to note over in the UK, is that 1999-2005 specialized bikes had a 5 year warranty and the 2006 onwards ones have lifetime of first owner ....

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldozer27
    I've examined both the '06 Expert and Comp Models at my LBS, and am trying to decide between either one to replace my '04 Stumpy Comp Disc HT, which is wreaking havoc on my lower back. My question is this: if I didn't care so much about the other differences in components (brakes and crankset), does the Talas fork on the Expert justify the $600 premium over the Float fork on the Comp? Could someone familiar with the Talas tell me if I would I eventually end up missing the travel adjustment feature?
    I have a Talas and I like that I can change travel, but I don't know if that justify the extra 600. I think that the Talas R is not that much expensive outside, so if you want to change later you can spend the 600 later.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast