mtbr member
    Jan 2006

06 Stump shock play

Hi All, excess me if i get the terminology wrong but I’ve noticed that there is about 3mm of play in the rear shock were the pivot bolt goes through the bottem end of the rear shock ( lower shock eyelet i think). If i hold the rear wheel on the ground and pull upwards on the seat post i get about 25mm of play.

Now the bike has done about 15 hours from new ridden in the muddy UK winter and washed dried and oiled ready for the next ride out after every ride but my question to you all is this expected, has anyone else out there got an 06 stump pro with any play in the rear shock. The bike has got to go back for its first check-up /service in a week or two and I’m going to point it out to the shop but as i come from HT i don’t know if this is expected play from the rear suspension.

mtbr member
    Sounds like the shcok eye reducer bushings are worn out. They are pretty cheap to buy and quick to change. There is also a possibility that the shock mount bolts may be loose too adding to the amout of play. 15 hours of riding is a little premature for any kind of play developing.

It is not normal to have that much play and you should get it fixed immediately. Do you run a mud guard to protect the shock at all?
    There is no added value to my participation - in fact, just more confusion.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    It is not normal to have that much play and you should get it fixed immediately. Do you run a mud guard to protect the shock at all?[/QUOTE]

Yes I’ve got the little stumpy mud guard for what good it dose, think i will get me one of those neoprene shock covers they do, i had them on my KTM crosser forks to stop the dirt getting under the seals and blowing them, it was the best 20 quid i ever spent saved a fortune in fork rebuilds.

thanks for the reply

mtbr member
    If you want some shock eye reducer bushings which will actually last more than a few rides in the UK mud, buy the replacement ones form BETD. Do a search on MTBR and you will find lots of info on them. https://www.betd.co.uk/product_list.asp?CategoryID=92

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

25mm??

Thats more than an inch. If you hold the tire on the ground and can lift 25mm before the tire lifts something has come lose or broke. You are certain to damage something further if you ride it like that. Maybe you are overestimating the amount of play. In my experience with these reducers a slight .5mm play is not unusual. To keep mine perfectly tight required almost monthy replacement. So I learned to live with the play until it started makin noise then I changed them .. 25mm Holy ****

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfaraway
    Thats more than an inch. If you hold the tire on the ground and can lift 25mm before the tire lifts something has come lose or broke. You are certain to damage something further if you ride it like that. Maybe you are overestimating the amount of play. In my experience with these reducers a slight .5mm play is not unusual. To keep mine perfectly tight required almost monthy replacement. So I learned to live with the play until it started makin noise then I changed them .. 25mm Holy ****
    25.4mm = 1inch

I had the same play on my new 06 Stumpy. When I took it to the LBS and mentioned it to the mech, he knew exactly what the problem was. He used a 8mm Allen to tighten the rear pivot bolt. The suspension should be completely silent when active. Mine was making pops and clicks. It was literally a 30 second fix.

mtbr member

Shock Play

I have the exact same issue with my '06 Epic. My question is does this need to be replaced immediately? If so, do I need any special tools to do this?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hourican
    I have the exact same issue with my '06 Epic. My question is does this need to be replaced immediately? If so, do I need any special tools to do this?
    Yes this should be fix immediately. If you have that much play, whenever you hit a bump the shock load will be transfered into pivot points instead of the shock due to the excess play. This is going to cause the suspension pivot holes on the frame to ovalize. This of course will be more affected by where you ride the bike. I have seen a lot of damaged bike frames from this.

You need to figure out excatly what is wrecked before tools and/or repairs can be recommended.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    25mm Holy ****[/QUOTE]

Its about 3mm at the shock but by the time it transfers to movement in the seat its about 25mm - sorry for the poor explanation, had the shock lizard skin turn up today and only £4 with postaged well worth it.

SALLGUD

Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by Lumbee1
    I had the same play on my new 06 Stumpy. When I took it to the LBS and mentioned it to the mech, he knew exactly what the problem was. He used a 8mm Allen to tighten the rear pivot bolt. The suspension should be completely silent when active. Mine was making pops and clicks. It was literally a 30 second fix.
    Exactly the same thing here with my '06. Squeaks, clicks, pops, etc. almost from the first ride.

The first time I simply tightened it with a torque wrench. The noises came back within a week, and I removed the bolt, cleaned it thoroughly, applied fresh blue Loctite, and torqued the bolt in place. No problems since, and the rear suspension is silent.

Michael

mtbr member

06 Stump Shock Play

I picked up an 06 Stumpy FSR about 2 weeks ago. Had a serious squeak/creak in the rear shock area after 15 minutes of riding. I removed the shock and discovered there was no lubrication in the bushings. After lubing with grease it's fine.

If Specialized is not lubing these at the factory it could explain premature wear.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I was freaked when this problem occurred durin the very firts ride.
    A quick check shown that the shock end bolt was not tightened during assembly.
    So far , the shock linkage is running silent.
    regs - fab

mtbr member

Resolution

Took the bike to the shop last week and they tightened up the shock mount as well as several other suspension points with torque wrench. Everything is as good as new! Seem that this is something that works its way loose with use.