mtbr member
    Mar 2007

06 Specialized Epic Comp..reviews?

I am looking at getting back into mountain biking after 5 years off due to college. My last bike was an 06 Specialized FSR-xc.

I will be getting a used bike. Not sure if I will be doing any racing anytime soon, but I would like to get into a little bit of racing eventually, whether XC or endurance. My main motivation is to get in shape again, and for cross-training for motocross/hare scrambles. I am 6'1 and about 190 lbs, aiming to get down to 175 lbs.

I am wanting to stay under $1k for a bike. Bikes I have been considering are as follows:
    -Specialized Epic
    -Trek 69er (either 3x9 or the FS one)
    -Santa Cruz Superlight
    -Santa Cruz Chameleon

So I am wanting to learn a little more about the Epic's, particularly the 06 model. What is the good, the bad, etc.?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Technology has changed quite a bit since then. For $1k consider getting a hardtail, you'll get the best bang for your buck.
    MCH Co-Captain

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I just sold my 06 Epic to get a 2012. I loved my 06 and if I hadn't ridden it into the ground would still be riding it. Because you are getting used be sure and check to see if the rear suspension is tight. The shims wear out and things can get pretty loose at the back end at the joints. Mine did and I had to put a new shim kit on it. Besides that, it was a durable, fun ride. You'll love the brain.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I bought an 06 Epic Comp earlier this year. I wanted a bike that was a step up from my lower end (heavy) hard tail Treks. I also wasn't sure if I wanted to go full suspension because I'm so heavy so I went with an older bike. The bike was raced for a season then used for training/back up for a few years. It does have some interesting handling characteristics. When going under 10mph the steering feels slow and sluggish, over 10 and it feels like you only have to think about the corner and it goes right through it. Over 20mph just a slight shift in weight drastically changes your direction. Its handling reminds me of off road motorcycles. If you are heavier, I would recommend a taller stem. The factory one is very low; the outsides of my hands go to sleep at times. A pair of bar ends would probably solve this as well. I can ride further, faster on this bike than any of my others. It is light and has good components compared to my other bikes. I would like it to be known that I'm rather heavy and don't spend much time out of the seat so the rear suspension does a lot for me and my weight is also the reason my hands are going to sleep. I'm a heavier person than what was intended for the bike. Mine is a medium and weighs 26.5lbs with DMR V8 pedals. I originally bought this bike to see if full suspension was for me. I fell in love with its handling and the way it climbs, I might get more FS bikes in the future but this one will definitely stay in my stable.