brain shock
    XT brakes
    X0 shifters/derailler
    specialized tires

SJ cons
    brain shock
    not as nice of wheels
    more expensive
    talas fork is a gimmick that i can't service myself (imho)

Trance Pros
    Crossmax wheels
    XTR/XT deraillers (known entity instaed of something new)
    cheaper
    neat suspension that has been getting great reviews-possible better lateral stiffness
    nice simple float 100 fork

cons
    less travel
    might not like the fit
    hayes brakes (prefer XT)

questions I got: which is lighter, which is more reliable (pivots/shock)

I know I'm gonna get a lot of spec'd lovers, hell I am a specialized guy myself, but this trance thing is really fascinating me.

The bike is gonna be used for a lot of all mountain riding and a fair amount of endurance and XC racing (long races mostly)

mechmann_mtb
    talas is more than a gimmick if you use it correctly. the change in HA and CG etc. are significant. the bike climbs way better with the talas dialed down, and descends way better with it dialed up.

other than that the bikes are probably pretty close. the trance was one of the bikes that we looked at when we were shopping. i didn't like the components on the 05 that much. there was better stuff on the SJ IMO.

Gravity Rides Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by mechmann_mtb
    talas is more than a gimmick if you use it correctly. the change in HA and CG etc. are significant. the bike climbs way better with the talas dialed down, and descends way better with it dialed up.

other than that the bikes are probably pretty close. the trance was one of the bikes that we looked at when we were shopping. i didn't like the components on the 05 that much. there was better stuff on the SJ IMO.

i have a talas now. most of the riding in my area is rapid ups and downs with few extended climbs. I found it easier to just get used to climbing with the fork in the full travel position. I don't like tweaking stuff that much. if it just had 2-3 positions i'd use it, but it takes too long ot wind that thing down.