mtbr member
    Dec 2005

06 S-works Stumpy or 08 Expert Stumpy

I am considering selling my 08 Stumpjumper expert and buying an 06 S-works Sumpjumper. My 08 already has Crossmax wheels so they would be pretty close. Which bike would you prefer? I ride exclusively cross country and would like to do some racing. Some of the trails in my area are pretty rough so I would rather not go with an epic.

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    Keep the 08. The rear end of the 08s is stiffer laterally and the functionality of the brain works
    more smoothly than the 06 brain. I had an 06, an 07 Expert and now an 08 29er.

I think the improvements to the brain are significant. There is much less of a threshold feeling on the new shocks. The fox brain had a bit of a notchy feel where it would stay firm for a split second before opening up. Not bad, but much smoother operation on the 08.

The rear bearings and linkage make for a stiffer rear end on the newer bike. Standing and digging hard out of the saddle on a short steep climb you'll find the 08 to be stiffer than the 06.

for three!
    Mar 2008
    what he said. Keep your 08.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    i don't know about the 08's but have an 07 s works stumpy with the spec brain and so far i've been very happy with it.