mtbr member
    Sep 2005

06 Rockhopper, 2 days old, Parts falling off/breaking off

I went home and started installing the water bottle cage I had picked up. When going to thread the allan screws back in (by hand to prevent stripping) both sets of threads (the part welded or crimped into the frame) came loose/broke off.

A little background:

Sunday afternoon I went to order my new 06 Rockhopper in Black. To my surprise, they actually had one in my size in-stock! So, I came back an hour later and picked it up in my truck. By the time I got home I didn't have time to ride. So I was planning on going riding Tuesday night after work. I went home and started installing the water bottle cage I had picked up. When going to thread the allan screws back in (by hand to prevent stripping) both sets of threads (the part welded or crimped into the frame) came loose/broke off. I had a hell of a time trying to get the screws back out, I succeeded with one, but couldn't get the other out. The one I did get out, left the threads/nut bouncing around inside the frame. I finally gave up on the other one, and ended up zip tying the cage to the frame to prevent it from banging all over on the way back to the LBS.

When I got there, they were very cool about the whole thing, and said they would have a new bike for me tomorrow. They also said they had never heard of this happening, especially to a Specialized.

So, I get to go tonight to pickup my second new Rockhopper. I am going to have them install the cage, just in case. I don't want them to think it is me breaking these things.

Has anyone ever heard of this? Should I be worried about my Specialized? Is there quality going south?

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    nope, not at all, no big deal, there is actually a tool that represses those lil buggers too........ I've seen it happen to every brand that I've worked with atleast once at some point in time. I'll add that I've also used the press tool to install new ones for folks and have yet to hear back from them some are probably going on over 5 years or so ago.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Good to hear it's not unusual. So, how do you get the nut/threads out of the frame? Do you have to take the crank off? Also, what makes these fail? Too much pressure when crimping them on? Does this damage the frame integrity at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Castle
    nope, not at all, no big deal, there is actually a tool that represses those lil buggers too........ I've seen it happen to every brand that I've worked with atleast once at some point in time. I'll add that I've also used the press tool to install new ones for folks and have yet to hear back from them some are probably going on over 5 years or so ago.

smw
    pedal pusher
    [QUOTE=hotwls13]I went home and started installing the water bottle cage I had picked up. When going to thread the allan screws back in (by hand to prevent stripping) both sets of threads (the part welded or crimped into the frame) came loose/broke off.

A little background: back to the LBS.

Yep, the shifting assembly fell off my 6 week old Enduro. The rear brake was repaired once, and now is being replaced. The rear hub makes a growl(like sand is in the bearing) and the spoke tension on the rear wheel was horrible. I bought a new wheel because I dont trust the stock one now. The bike shop is repairing the other stuff, but so far the bike has been in the shop more than its been on the trails.
    The frame, no problems, no wonder Specialized switched to Sram.

Are you talking to me?

The shop did not have the crimping tool?

Quote Originally Posted by hotwls13
    Good to hear it's not unusual. So, how do you get the nut/threads out of the frame? Do you have to take the crank off? Also, what makes these fail? Too much pressure when crimping them on? Does this damage the frame integrity at all?

This happens fairly often. I am supprised that the shop did not do a quick fix on that bike. If you have the tool, and the bolts are out, it takes 5 minutes. You do not hae to take the cranks off.

The thread insert is spinning in the frame. It is no big deal, and once repaired, will never be an issue again. It does not damage the frame in any way.
    gfy

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by damion
    The thread insert is spinning in the frame. It is no big deal, and once repaired, will never be an issue again. It does not damage the frame in any way.
    When i said take the cranks off, what I was talking about is the nut/threads that are now inside the frame banging around. I know the piece banging around in there wouldn't hurt anything, but it would bother me to have that piece clanking everytime I hit a bump. It would be like having a sound (like something trattling around) in the door of your new car.

I know it sounds a little anal, but I want my new bike to be flawless, at least until I get to take it out and bang it around. Otherwise I would have bought a used bike.

Are you talking to me?

That may be tougher.

Quote Originally Posted by hotwls13
    When i said take the cranks off, what I was talking about is the nut/threads that are now inside the frame banging around. I know the piece banging around in there wouldn't hurt anything, but it would bother me to have that piece clanking everytime I hit a bump. It would be like having a sound (like something trattling around) in the door of your new car.

I know it sounds a little anal, but I want my new bike to be flawless, at least until I get to take it out and bang it around. Otherwise I would have bought a used bike.

I did not understand that the thread insert had dropped in to the frame. THat would drive me nuts. I am not sure that there will be a way to remove it. They may try to glue it in place throught the bb, but that will not involve you, more than likely.

I am sure that the dealer will take care of you. I know we would. This is one of the reasons that you went with a local dealer. Post the results.
    gfy

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Update

LBS ended up getting my new bike to me last Tuesday. They were very cool about the whole thing, gave me new cage/bottle, put a new Specialized stem on (the other one was too short) and gave me a $50 store credit. The Manager did everything possible to make sure I was happy. Good customer service goes a long way with me, and I will be back there soon spending more than just my $50 credit.

I love the bike, and look forward to riding it everyday. I especially like the lockout, since most of my riding will be commuting on streets and bike paths.