Pin it to win it
    Aug 2008

'06 FSR XC ---> slalom bike?

So I've heard some discussions on turning FSRs and Stumpjumpers into pretty sick slalom bikes. I've done a bit of looking at the geometry and it seems like it's fairly similar... short chainstays, low bb, etc.

How possible is this? And what would I need to do to make it happen? I was thinking stronger wheels, 1x9 setup with bashguard/chainguide, probably a super short stem... not too sure what else.

And yes, I know that it would probably be better to get a dedicated slalom bike. I don't really even race... but this was my first real bike and I'd rather not sell it.
    Speed has never killed anybody. Suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you.

www.danwalkerphotovideo.com

mtbr member
    shorter cranks would probably be good. Maybe one of those electronic height adjusting seatposts? thru-axles I imagine would be nice. I don't actually KNOW a lot of slaloms specific stuff so I'm just sort of winging it there.

cougarbait
    a height adj seatpost would just be wasted weight.. it's not like you're ever sitting during slalom

I don't know if the HTA, STA, and TT length on those bikes are well suited for slalom
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    A dual slalom race is a pretty violent act with super hard pedalling required. If you are really looking at DS, then one big difference would be suspension setup. DS bikes are set up much more firm than an XC rig. Suspension should work to soften a landing and help maintain traction, but can't be bobbing around under hard acceleration.

Look at some video of pro DS racing. Need to be able to go super hard without losing all that energy. Don't think you would want to ride that setup around as your normal XC bike as it is a pretty harsh ride.

Look at the first part of this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kup_pzkdSKU

cougarbait
    Klaus, dial in more Floodgate/ProPedal!!
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

Pin it to win it
    Aug 2008
    A dual slalom race is a pretty violent act with super hard pedalling required. If you are really looking at DS, then one big difference would be suspension setup. DS bikes are set up much more firm than an XC rig. Suspension should work to soften a landing and help maintain traction, but can't be bobbing around under hard acceleration.

Look at some video of pro DS racing. Need to be able to go super hard without losing all that energy. Don't think you would want to ride that setup around as your normal XC bike as it is a pretty harsh ride.
    I know. I have a 6'' bike that I use for normal riding. I was planning on running the bike very stiff. The thing right now is that right now my 6'' bike is both lighter and has more travel then the FSR. It also has much better geometry for how I ride (AM/FR). But I couldn't get much money for the FSR (especially since many of the parts were switched over to my DJ bike) and since it was my first real mountain bike I kinda want to keep it.

I don't know if the HTA, STA, and TT length on those bikes are well suited for slalom
    Actually, I was checking out the geometry last night and it is really very similar to the SX. Chainstay length and BB height are within a few millimeters; the TT is a bit longer, but the overall wheelbase is actually shorter. Not sure why the STA would matter... the seats gonna be slammed to the frame anyways. And as for the TT length, the bike is actually a bit small for me (for an XC rig), which I imagine would minimize the issue of the longer TT.

The only real difference is the HA. The SX is definitely slacker. I'm not too worried about that though... seems like on a slalom course it isn't going to be as big of a deal as it normally would be. Also, I might put a slightly bigger fork on it, which would slacken it out a bit.

Honestly I'm not looking to make a race bike. I'm just looking to make the bike into something fun and a bit different. I would probably use it mainly for bmx tracks, 4x tracks, dirt jumps, etc. I have a Steelhead that I use for all of this... but as I usually ride 6 and 8 inch travel bikes... the hardtail kinda makes me nervous in some situations. I'm just more used to jumping with suspension.

SX Geometry: http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...enuItemId=9250
    FSR Geometry: http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...2&menuItemId=0
    Speed has never killed anybody. Suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you.

cougarbait
    STA affects how you position yourself into turns, which are where slaloms are won or lost
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

Pin it to win it
    Aug 2008
    Hmm.... interesting. I didn't know that.

However, if you look at the spec sheets, the FSR's STA is 73 and the effective STA of the SX is 74.5. Not too much of a change.

Again, I know that it isn't going to be a perfect, top-of-the-line slalom race bike. But from the look of it, it'll still work pretty good and be a fun bike to play around on.

What I'm looking for is suggestions on component selection to make it as close as possible. Thanks.

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    Sounds like you've done your research and have another trail bike to ride. Should make for a fun project bike - especially since you already own it and can focus your funds on fine tuning the handling. A stiffer and longer travel fork would be a nice addition.

Good luck with it and post up on the changes and handling when you get it ready. Always interesting to see how something like this turns out.