mtbr member

New question here. '06 FSR XC Pro - SRAM X.9 vs. Shimano XT?

I'll be taking delivery Tues. of an '06 FSR XC Pro Test Bike (woo hoo!) in that funky blue test bike color. The bike comes with some great components: Fox Triad Rear, Rock Shox Recon 351 Air Fork, Avid BB7 Brakes, etc. The rear derailleur is a Shimano XT M-750 Standard Spring w/ Deore M510 Shifters.
    I'm moving from my Rockhopper Hardtail to this FSR XC. Currently on my Rockhopper, I have an X.9 Rear Derailleur with X.7 Triggers. I've got enough $$ budgeted to buy some new trigger shifters.

So, the question is: Do I buy some XT triggers for the FSR XC and stick with the XT Rear or move the SRAM X.9 to the FSR XC and buy a new set of 2007 X.9 triggers and move the XT/Deore combo down to the Rockhopper (which I'll be selling BTW)?

Thoughts?

2015 Specialized Fat Boy
    - Ordered!
    2007 Stumpy FSR Pro Sold
    2014 Specialized Crux Pro
    SRAM 2x10 Force, CG-R Post

z71
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I love the Sram X.9 trigger shifters they do not cramp up the room around the grips they are adjustable. I ran the XT's and I prefer the Sram componets much better. The XT's cramped the room up around the grip area. They shifted real nice and smooth but are not adjustable like the X.9's. And the X.0 rear derailer is nice and crisp shifting. The only XT part I am running is the XT front derailer they are hard to beat up front. By the way if you want some XT shifters I have some I took off my FSR XC Pro.

Boulder, CO
    Have you ridden SRAM? For me, the positive feel cannot be beat. Shimano is playing catch up. Some like the way it operates, however. My suggestion is to test ride some bikes at the LBS and see what you like.
    Rides:

Mountain:

2007 Specialized S-Works Enduro SL Carbon
    2000 Specialized S-Works FSR XC

Road:

2006 Pinarello Paris Carbon
    1987 Ciocc

Transports:

2004 BMW M3 Convertible
    1988 BMW M6
    1974 BMW 2002 tii

mtbr member
    I am a big XTR fan, but I truly hate the XT rear derailleur and the way it flops around. Go with the SRAM.

mtbr member
    I'd say go with the SRAM. I have them on my machine and they just work brilliantly. I also maintain 3 other bikes, an XT, DEORE and Tourney all by Shimano, and mine was deffo the easiest to get set up. The others all required that bit of tweaking to get right...
    Building: ​Boardman 2010 HT Pro
    Current Joy: '11 Giant Anthem X
    Previous Joy: '09 Commencal Meta 5 VIP

mtbr member
    Thanks - I was leaning towards the SRAM anyway, but you've all helped to convince me.

I'll be moving the SRAM X.9 Rear Derailleur off my Rockhopper to the FSR XC Pro. I just picked up a new chain and the SRAM '07 X.9 Trigger Shifters today.

Looking forward to receiving the FSR XC and tweakin' it!

2015 Specialized Fat Boy
    - Ordered!
    2007 Stumpy FSR Pro Sold
    2014 Specialized Crux Pro
    SRAM 2x10 Force, CG-R Post