mtbr member
    Oct 2005

06 Epic on REALLY rocky courses/ Epic vs. Turner FLux

Hi,

I'm looking at getting a new bike/frame due to needing a bigger one. It will be used as a XC racing frame on courses ranging from super easy (Wakefield in Annandale, VA) to extremely rocky and technical (Bear Creek & Michaux in PA).

Currently I'm thinking about a 06 Epic Marathon (speced really well for 06) or a Turner Flux.

Any ideas on how these two frames/bikes (XL) compair in weight?

How does the Epic work for on extremely rocky courses that could almostbe concidered freeriding?

Thanks!

Gravity Rides Everything
    epics can take some pretty rough stuff. It's a well designed rear suspension that happens to have an inertia valved shock. They are both 4" bikes right? (flux and epic...) I'd say your debate should really be between the stumpjumper/5-spot and the epic/flux.

The epic and the flux will be more efficient on smooth courses
    but hte stumpjumper and 5-spot will definitely take bigger hits with more grace.

It also depends on how you are as a rider. If you're real powerful with limited technical skills, you'll probably be faster on a longer travel bike. if you're a smooth rider you'll be fine on the shorter travel stuff.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Well, the Bukit Timah trail out here in Singapore is pretty rocky and has lots of tree roots, holes, etc and my 05 S-Works Epic handles it really well. In fact, it works so much better than my old Kona Kikapu even thou it had a slightly longer rear travel. IMHO, unless you need to take big drops or jumps, the lack of long rear travel for rocks and stuff isn't much of a concern.

K n e e m o i
    Quote Originally Posted by endurowanker
    epics can take some pretty rough stuff. It's a well designed rear suspension that happens to have an inertia valved shock. They are both 4" bikes right? (flux and epic...) I'd say your debate should really be between the stumpjumper/5-spot and the epic/flux.

The epic and the flux will be more efficient on smooth courses
    but hte stumpjumper and 5-spot will definitely take bigger hits with more grace.

It also depends on how you are as a rider. If you're real powerful with limited technical skills, you'll probably be faster on a longer travel bike. if you're a smooth rider you'll be fine on the shorter travel stuff.
    I'm not real powerful, but I have decent technical skills and ride smooth, so I guess I am fit for the Epic. I pick lines where I get the least amount of resistance.

I ride pretty fast, and I pass decent amount of people on the trails, but every time I see an ultra fast dude on the trail who whizzes by me, he is always:

1. On a HARDTAIL. (Most of the times, Titanium frames, expensive.)
    2. Tall Skinny guy with bulging legs. (I'm short with short legs, so kinda at a disadvantage. I think some of those hardcore guys are on something.)
    3. Wearing FULL spandex (No thank you. I don't want that)
    4. Wearing something with company logos on the spandex. (Unless if you are sponsored, then I think this is 100 percent poser spec.)

It kinda makes sense that I rarely see a ultra fast dude on a 4 inch plush travel dualie like the Stumpjumper. Epic being a "Hardtail Convert" bike, it is pretty darn fast.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Daffunda
    I ride pretty fast, and I pass decent amount of people on the trails, but every time I see an ultra fast dude on the trail who whizzes by me, he is always:

1. On a HARDTAIL. (Most of the times, Titanium frames, expensive.)
    Same here. Then again, its the experienced dudes who normally shell out the cash to buy those expensive titanium frames.

Anyway, I guess the Epic does feel more like a hard tail with the added advantage of having more traction due to to a full suspension design when things get bumpy.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Did anyone notice that the new turners don't use horst links anymore?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks for all the replies and info! Sounds like either bike will work well for me although I'm thinking of the Turner Flux as I will purchase an cut fork at the same time. I can't find from Specialized how long the steer is on an 06 XL Epic so it might be to short, meaning the bike would still be to small.

The first thing I think I will do about my poor rock garden riding is to do some upper body weights. Wimpy arms may be as much of a problem as really low handle bars!