mtbr member
    Mar 2005

'06 EPIC Comp Der. Cable???

OK bike gurus, maybe you can shed some light on this.

I noticed on the '06 EPIC Comp at my local bike shop, that it has cable housing on the entire length of the rear derailure shift cable. This is all the way from the shift lever to the rear derailure. I think this is the first bike I've ever seen that has this. It seems odd that Specialized would chose to do this, as I'm thinking that it would cause sloppier shifting at some point, when the cables start to wear. Also you'd need alot of housing when it is time to replace cables. Additionally, for weight freeks, it would be added weight for the additional housing.

Oddly, if you go to the Specialized web site and look at the blow-up pictures of this bike, it shows braze-ons (at least on the downtube anyway) such that it does NOT use cable housing for the entire length of the housing. So what they show on the website does not match what I'm seeing in the store.

The bikes in the shop have braze-ons, but they're different braze-ons, only for running tie-wraps to for holding the cable/housing to the frame.

Does anyone know the story here?

Would others agree that the long housing scheme is potentially inferior?

Do any owners have any real feedback on this?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Thanks,
    Eric

mtbr member
    I just picked up my '06 Epic Disc on 11/4. From what I hear, this bike has a history of shifting problems. This is most likely a result of the tight turn that the rear derailleur cable makes from the chain stay to the derailleur. Enclosing the entire shift cable run might be an attempt to reduce friction by preventing the introduction of mud and dirt into the housing. Right now, the bike shifts perfectly. Only time will tell if this is an effective solution, and it will be a bit of a pain to replace. Also, upgrading to a teflon-coated cable (such as the XTR) will usually solve these kinds of problems.

mtbr member
    Full length housing are way better on a bike where the cable runs below the bottom bracket. Riding in wet conditions will make the cables shift like crap after a while and dirty cables cause ghost shifting when the suspension compresses.

I'll probably install full length housings for both derailleur cables soon on my SJ120... I've had some ghost shiftiong problems when the cables get dirty and I've had to pay extra attention to keeping the cables clean and lubricated. Full length housings wouldn't need any maintenance. When riding in wet and muddy conditions, cleaning the drivetrain requires so much maintenace that I don't need any extra hassle with cables...

Upgrade to SRAM rear derailleur to get rid of the loop in the cable, SRAM shifts better than Shimano anyway. Or Install Avid Rollamagik to the rear der cable near the derailleur.
    Last edited by plussa; 11-07-2005 at 12:18 PM.