Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004

06 Epic / 06 FSR Anyone Riding The New Stuff??

I'm torn between an FSR and an Epic. I want it all - firm climbing efficiency and plush active travel. Concerned that an FSR may not be efficient enough while an Epic may not be plush enough. A few sport class races and a couple of team 24 hour races a year. Really like to ride technical, rough and rooty trails, and still want to be competitive on group rides.

Has anyone ridden (extensively) an 06 Epic with the new adjustment that is supposed to allow the rider to tune how firm or plush the brain shock works. I'm interested to hear how active the suspension is when in the full open position. How does the new one compare with previous Epics - especially with the new adjustment.

I like the idea of the 06 FSR 120 - an efficient trial bike. Looking for feedback as to how the triad shock works under hard accelerations - like having to put out alot of power to get over a shorter steep climb. I know that if it came down to it I could send the shock off to Push to firm it up, but don't want to have to spend any more cash than I have to.

Look forward to feedback from both camps - and especially feedback from someone that has had a chance to ride both bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I don't have a lot of experience, but I've ridden an 06 epic comp a couple of times in the last week on trails.

The rear adjustment makes a big difference. On 'firm' it is a very firm, but it feels almost like a regular shock if you soften it all the way. I put it on full soft to take out all the rattle I was getting on a washboard dirt road where the firm was rattling my teeth because it wasn't a big enough bounce to activate on firm.

I think you will find the epic has a lot more acceleration and response when you step on the pedals. Also a big difference is the geometry. It puts you in a more forward aggressive position.

You might be able to find a specialized dealer that's setup with test center bikes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

I had the Same Delemma

I was having trouble making up my mind between an '06 EPIC Comp and an '06 SJ FSR. Of course I had no shortage of commentary from alot of others. The current trend seems to be getting something with 5 inches or more of travel. However, i've always been more of a cross-country rider though. My conclusion is the only way to really know that your making the right decision is to ride both bikes on the terrain you normally ride on.

My LBS had just got the new '06 EPIC Comp and an '06 SJ FSR "demo" bikes in. They're painted a funky green and say "test" on them. I took them out on some local trails that included tight singletrack up-hills and downhills, bomber 4WD roads etc. I was worried that the EPIC wouldn't be plush enough compared to the SJ FSR. It turned out to be plenty plush in almost all situations. For me, the only case where the SJ FSR might be better would be on really fast and rough downhills. While they were both incredible compared to my old '95 Trek Y22, I ended up deciding on the EPIC. The EPIC put me in a more aggressive position for climbing and tight cornering. I was clearing technical stuff (uphill and downhill) that I couldn't previously. In short, the EPIC was faster for the kind of riding I do. I picked up my new EPIC a week ago and have ridden it alot. I really love the way you can stand-up out of the saddle and accelerate like it was a hard-tail.

The "remote brain" that they now offer on the higher-end SJ FSR bikes might be a good alternative as well, where you get the brain technology combined with the travel of the SJ FSR frame. However to get the remote brain it looked like you had to spend quite a bit of $$.

I think that within the EPIC line, the Comp is the best price point. The Marathon seems overpriced given that all you get for another $1000 or so is a little better fork and tubeless tires plus a few minor upgrades.

It's all personal preference and for me I couldn't decide what to get with any amount of retoric from others. But when I took both bikes out the choice was clear and I knew I was getting the best bike for me. I would really recommend going to whatever trouble it takes to demo the bikes for yourself. Then you'll be confident that you're really getting the bike that's right for you when you pluck down the $$.

Hope this helps.

-Eric

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rentschl
    I was having trouble making up my mind between an '06 EPIC Comp and an '06 SJ FSR. Of course I had no shortage of commentary from alot of others. The current trend seems to be getting something with 5 inches or more of travel. However, i've always been more of a cross-country rider though. My conclusion is the only way to really know that your making the right decision is to ride both bikes on the terrain you normally ride on.

My LBS had just got the new '06 EPIC Comp and an '06 SJ FSR "demo" bikes in. They're painted a funky green and say "test" on them. I took them out on some local trails that included tight singletrack up-hills and downhills, bomber 4WD roads etc. I was worried that the EPIC wouldn't be plush enough compared to the SJ FSR. It turned out to be plenty plush in almost all situations. For me, the only case where the SJ FSR might be better would be on really fast and rough downhills. While they were both incredible compared to my old '95 Trek Y22, I ended up deciding on the EPIC. The EPIC put me in a more aggressive position for climbing and tight cornering. I was clearing technical stuff (uphill and downhill) that I couldn't previously. In short, the EPIC was faster for the kind of riding I do. I picked up my new EPIC a week ago and have ridden it alot. I really love the way you can stand-up out of the saddle and accelerate like it was a hard-tail.

The "remote brain" that they now offer on the higher-end SJ FSR bikes might be a good alternative as well, where you get the brain technology combined with the travel of the SJ FSR frame. However to get the remote brain it looked like you had to spend quite a bit of $$.

I think that within the EPIC line, the Comp is the best price point. The Marathon seems overpriced given that all you get for another $1000 or so is a little better fork and tubeless tires plus a few minor upgrades.

It's all personal preference and for me I couldn't decide what to get with any amount of retoric from others. But when I took both bikes out the choice was clear and I knew I was getting the best bike for me. I would really recommend going to whatever trouble it takes to demo the bikes for yourself. Then you'll be confident that you're really getting the bike that's right for you when you pluck down the $$.

Hope this helps.

-Eric
    For what its worth I have both bikes. However, I find that I ride the Epic more often and my Stumpy feels sluggish and slow. If you are really into technical downhills the Epic will suffer ( and break alot!) so its really going to be a tradeoff. I also race endurance and the Epic is the sure bet way to go here. Good luck choosing.

K n e e m o i
    So does the epic bob when you put it on full soft? Does it activate or fully locked out on firm?

mtbr member

Stumpy Pro..

I have been riding a '06 Stumpy Pro for the past two weeks while I wait for my new Epic. While the Stumpy is a great all around trail bike (much better than a Blur), it is still too plush for racing in my opinion. It just feels like it's zapping my energy on climbs.

K n e e m o i
    Quote Originally Posted by EPICYZ
    I have been riding a '06 Stumpy Pro for the past two weeks while I wait for my new Epic. While the Stumpy is a great all around trail bike (much better than a Blur), it is still too plush for racing in my opinion. It just feels like it's zapping my energy on climbs.
    What makes stumpy better than the blur? care to elaborate?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I would say that the 06 epic doesn't bob on full soft (at least compared to other fs bikes), it just activates at a lower threshold. I found it perfect for taking out the washboard vibrations. Likewise, the suspension will still activate when on full firm - it just requires a bit jolt to do it. I don't believe it has a real lock-out mode.

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I found a thread that stated that there is a shop that is set up for test rides in the NC mountains. I plan to check in with them to see if I can schedule a test ride on both bikes.

For those with the Epics - is the brain fade adjustment a variable adjustment or does it have clicks, and if so how many positions are there on the clicker? With the lighter frame do you think the durability is still there for XC riding?

Victor - - can you firm up the SJ with increased air pressure, or does it just make the suspension inactive? Where is the plushness of the Epic when open relative to the plushness of the SJ when it's in ProPedal mode?
    Last edited by NCtrailX; 11-21-2005 at 08:51 PM.

K n e e m o i
    Quote Originally Posted by walkman
    I would say that the 06 epic doesn't bob on full soft (at least compared to other fs bikes), it just activates at a lower threshold. I found it perfect for taking out the washboard vibrations. Likewise, the suspension will still activate when on full firm - it just requires a bit jolt to do it. I don't believe it has a real lock-out mode.

Thanks for clearing that up. I guess it is very similary to the blowoff threshold, except the transition from full lock to activation is smoother.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sthrnfat
    For those with the Epics - is the brain fade adjustment a variable adjustment or does it have clicks, and if so how many positions are there on the clicker? With the lighter frame do you think the durability is still there for XC riding?

If I remember correctly, there are 13 or 14 clicks of adjustment on the Brain Fade knob. As for being a tough frame, the Epic appears plenty robust to me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sthrnfat

If I remember correctly, there are 13 or 14 clicks of adjustment on the Brain Fade knob. As for being a tough frame, the Epic appears plenty robust to me. Ripe for abuse.

mtbr member

Stumpy Pro vs. Epic

I have raced on a Blur so this is not just speculation. The Blur is hard to "setup". It just feels like water bed to me even setup correctly. I like the geometry of the Stumpy better and the Brain Fade really makes it pedal better in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

clicks on epic brain

That's one of the things I didn't like so much on 06 epic comp brain. There is a cap on top of the brain that you twist to go from firm to soft, but it is really hard to tell exactly where you have it. It's a very soft click if you can call it that. I had to kind of guess where I had it set.

I saw a picture of an '05 epic marathon that had little bars on the cylinder that gave you a much better idea of exactly where you had it set.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That's one of the things I didn't like so much on 06 epic comp brain. There is a cap on top of the brain that you twist to go from firm to soft, but it is really hard to tell exactly where you have it. It's a very soft click if you can call it that. I had to kind of guess where I had it set.

A little mark with a Sharpie on the knob when you have it on the medium setting would clear that right up I think.

K n e e m o i
    Quote Originally Posted by EPICYZ
    I have raced on a Blur so this is not just speculation. The Blur is hard to "setup". It just feels like water bed to me even setup correctly. I like the geometry of the Stumpy better and the Brain Fade really makes it pedal better in my opinion.
    Eh.....I don' t think brain fade for stumpy is better than the RP3 on the blur. As I test rode the SJ Pro with the air set up right, I also rode the 06 Blur. I did not notice that one was "bobbier" than the other. They were about the same, with parking lot and little trail riding at the demo.

Compared to my Epic, they are "bobbier" though, although you can barely tell the difference when pedaling with the RP3 on Propedal.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

05 brain vs. 06 brain

I saw a picture of an '05 epic marathon that had little bars on the cylinder that gave you a much better idea of exactly where you had it set.
    The shock is quite different from the 05 to the 06 model. It's not just the knob replacing the lever. I've got limited time on the 05 bikes, and I've ridden the 06 SJ Pro, not the Epic -- but I think the following applies to both:

The Brain Fade on the 06 models is an adjustment of the low speed compression damping. In other words, before you hit a bump that unseats the inertia valve, the Brain Fade controls how firm the shock is. On the Stumpie, you can adjust it from firm to soft. On the Epic, I believe the adjustment is from nearly locked out to soft. In either case, once you hit a bump, the valve opens and you're running on the high speed compression damping circuit, which is much more plush.

This is different than the IQ adjustment on the 05 models. That was adjusting the threshold -- the size of the bump required to unseat the inertia valve. You couldn't adjust the low speed compression damping on those guys at all.

In any case, I couldn't feel any clicks in the Brain Fade knob. But the Sharpie trick would certainly work -- if you don't mind taking a marker to your $4000 new toy.

Anyway, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's the difference, and it explains why they look very different.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by adstads
    But the Sharpie trick would certainly work -- if you don't mind taking a marker to your $4000 new toy.

Think of the Sharpie mark as value added.

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    After testing several different bikes including the epic, fsr and a cannondale rush, I ordered an FSR Saturday. I've Owned a flock of Fisher dual suspsions bikes over the years including a Joshua, a Sugar, a Sugar Plus, and currently an 04 Cake. The FSR handling feels balanced (based on riding demo bikes), and the suspension gives a good balance of efficiency and compliance.

I went with the standard FSR with the Avid Mechanicals in Grey - it should be here by the end of the week!

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=12791

Can't wait for it to show up!. I know the 06 Triad shock doesn't have as much adjustability as the Septune equipped bike I've been testing, but I'm hoping it will work as well.

I'll post some impressions once I've had a chance to spend some time on it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

I'm having problems w/the 06 fsr pro

I purchased the 06 fsr pro about 4 weeks ago. On her first trip out the seals in the rear suspension failed. When the bike shop contacted Specialized, the tech person referred us to Fox. Fox said it was a seal kit, we sent the whole system back and got it back on the bike in about 3 weeks. (the Holidays slowed everything down).

Today I decided to take her out again and within 5 minutes, the rear suspension bottoms out and once again the seal is blown. Now the logical question would be what the hell was I doing to screw up another seal. I'd love to be able to say that I did an 8' drop from my neighbors roof but the fact is, I was riding on a rocky but tame section of trail at about 16 mph, jumped a small step down and POP. I weigh 204, the shock was adjusted according to my weight and I'm pretty pissed off right now.

I keep thinking that I should have purchased the comparably priced Epic Marathon. I've got a feeling that there's a problem in the design. The FSR is designed to have more flex when it isn't "engaged" than the Epic does. (ie. when you sit on the bike gently, you are supposed to have approx. 25% movement in the rear suspension).

If anyone else is having similar problems, please respond. Other than that I think it's a beautiful bike with some great components. The Specialized stem is ugly as heck but the silver Thompson seat post is growing on me. The XT hydr. disc brakes are sweet and I've always used xt or xtr shifters and derailleurs but I've got to tell you the 30 minutes I've ridden this bike I'm VERY impressed with the SRAM equipment.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smiller
    I purchased the 06 fsr pro about 4 weeks ago. On her first trip out the seals in the rear suspension failed. When the bike shop contacted Specialized, the tech person referred us to Fox. Fox said it was a seal kit, we sent the whole system back and got it back on the bike in about 3 weeks. (the Holidays slowed everything down).

Today I decided to take her out again and within 5 minutes, the rear suspension bottoms out and once again the seal is blown. Now the logical question would be what the hell was I doing to screw up another seal. I'd love to be able to say that I did an 8' drop from my neighbors roof but the fact is, I was riding on a rocky but tame section of trail at about 16 mph, jumped a small step down and POP. I weigh 204, the shock was adjusted according to my weight and I'm pretty pissed off right now.

I keep thinking that I should have purchased the comparably priced Epic Marathon. I've got a feeling that there's a problem in the design. The FSR is designed to have more flex when it isn't "engaged" than the Epic does. (ie. when you sit on the bike gently, you are supposed to have approx. 25% movement in the rear suspension).

If anyone else is having similar problems, please respond. Other than that I think it's a beautiful bike with some great components. The Specialized stem is ugly as heck but the silver Thompson seat post is growing on me. The XT hydr. disc brakes are sweet and I've always used xt or xtr shifters and derailleurs but I've got to tell you the 30 minutes I've ridden this bike I'm VERY impressed with the SRAM equipment.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.
    WTH! The seal on my Triad is busted too. I have had the bike about a month and a half. I noticed severe bouncing with it locked out. I checked the bike and found oil all over the frame and BB. Took it to the LBS and they confirmed that the shock was blown and would have to be sent back for seal replacement. I haven't had it out of any of the "rough" trails yet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

06 Epic

I took out two of the Spec demo bikes - a Stumpjumper full suspension for 2 days and then an Epic over the Christmas weekend. I thought the Stumpjumper had me too laid back - I'm used to a hard tail. Then I rode the Epic - just felt right.

Anyway, ordered the black Epic (base model) and it should be in this week, can't wait ! ! !
    There will always be someone faster than you up and someone faster than you down.

mtbr member
    I have the base 06 Stumpy FSR for almost 3 month now, I weight around 245lbs with camelback and evrything and my bike rides great!! I love it on the downhills and climbing but I don't do drops, so no problems to report.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Found the problem

Here's the scoop. According to FOX, they received seals that weren't up to spec. The rubber/plastic doesn't react well to cooler/cold temperatures. In some cases, (mine) the faulty seal can cause a vapor/air lock which prevents the rear suspension from rebounding.

The fix is to replace the seals with the good ones.

After dealing with this problem twice, I sent an e-mail to Fox voicing my displeasure. What I didn't expect was to have someone call me within 30 minutes, explain the situation and expedite the repair.

If this takes care of the problem, I'll be very impressed with their customer support.

Steve