aaarrrggghh!

06 Enduro Shock Swap

So I realize this topic has been breached but I wanted to show how my shock swap worked out. I stole the DHX Air from my 06 Enduro Pro and put it on my Transition Blindside. It reduced the travel on the Blindside from 8.1 to 7.3. Since I run a 170mm Marzocchi 66 on it I wanted to see how the bike felt as a 7" x 7" bike. The result is it felt great.

Now for the Specialized content. The DHX Air felt super smooth and almost better than coil-like on the Enduro Pro. However, it would bottom out like crazy regardless of air pressure. So I did the shock mod on it where you shim the external air chamber and it certainly made it better but not perfect. Then I put it on the Blindside, aired it up with about 50 extra psi to compensate for the 3:1 leverage ratio, and it felt fantastic. Perfect sag, super smooth, and perfect ramp up at the end of the travel. All this with absolutely no bottoming out. Weird I know and certainly not what I expected. But I was stoked nonetheless.

So then I was out a shock for the Enduro. I purchased a Pushed Float RP3 from a dude who weight a lot more than me and it felt like ass. But he also had a Float AVA for $75 extra and I bought it too. I put it on the Enduro and it feels great. Not quite as smooth as the DHX Air, a better platform, and absolutely no harsh bottoming. I used the steep head angle shock shuttle with this shock, 8.5 x 2.5, and the geometry is the same as the stock 8.75 x 2.5 DHX Air.

So for all of you who have never liked the DHX Air on the Enduro I would suggest picking up a Float for cheap and using the steep shock shuttle. It completely fixed the only thing I didn't like about this great frame. Hopefully this was helpful for those of you who didn't want to thread through the bajillion post mega enduro thread concerning this same topic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 06 Enduro Shock Swap-enduro.jpg  

06 Enduro Shock Swap-enduro-shock.jpg  

06 Enduro Shock Swap-ava.jpg  

06 Enduro Shock Swap-blindside-air.jpg  

Stray Bullet
    I'm running a 8.5 x 2.5 RP23 with the slack shuttle. Head angle is 64*. Super fun on the DH.

RP23 is leaps and bounds above the DHX Air. One of these days I'll send the RP23 to PUSH.

How hard was the canister swap?

aaarrrggghh!
    Holy crap, 64 is SLACK for a trail bike. Sounds fun though, it must rip in the turns. I'd like to Push the AVA at some point but it's not totally necessary.

I didn't swap the canister, I just took the outer sleeve off and put a plastic shim in there to take up the volume so it would be more progressive. It's been done by others and it worked pretty well. For some reason it feels great on the Blindside. All in all I came out pretty good on price and performance. My buddy is going to buy the other from me so I'll be into the whole thing for around $115, which is nice.