mtbr member
    Jul 2003

'06 Enduro DHX questions, paging Jake

'06 Enduro SX Trail/DHX 5.0 coil. Is the IFP "Boost" valve adjustment a non-adjustable preset air pressure?

for random information, how about the dhx air 5.0's on the rest of the enduro line up and for that matter the aftermarket dhx 5.0 kit from fox?

Do all these shocks have non-adjustable preset IFP "Boost" valve air pressures?

Does this just mean fine tuning the proper sag/feel will be more reliant on the coil spring rate or the air pressure given in the dhxAir main air chamber?

If the pressure is set and non adjustable is it set at the factory 125psi setting? Then you would mainly rely on tuning the bottom out adjustment to help with well bottom out resistance. As well as the propedal to help firm up the beginning stroke? I'm thinking this may be the idea behind this..... (speculation)

Jake if you want to shoot me a email or phone number feel free ICastle36@cox.net

I've tried contacting both specialized and fox without getting real solid answers, I was hoping I could find some.
    Last edited by Castle; 10-12-2005 at 12:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    You have asked the exact same questions that I was going to start a thread with. Maybe they should have called the rear shock a DHX 4.5? If the pressure is in fact set at 125 psi hopefully the propedal and bottom out resistance will provide all the tuning that an average weight rider will need.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    I'll wait to get the official word from Jake or a Specialized employee, but I talked to a fella at Dizzy's in North Van and he had alot of helpful info.

From what I can tell, the valve is plugged and preset at a 125psi, using the boost valve adjuster knob, you can raise that pressure to about 165 from what I understand.

This all means that the correct spring rate or amount of air pressure in the main chamber will be more important then if it had the air boost valve to help aid bottom out.

really not much of a drawback, but still intersting that they choose to plug it on these frames.

I personally would've opted to leave the valve and have the ability to add air if need be, even if it meant removal of the shock from the frame before adding air.
    Last edited by Castle; 10-14-2005 at 09:09 PM.

mechmann_mtb
    i think they learned from the 5th element shocks that the more things you give a consumer to mess with, the more problems you will have. the 5th shocks have a horrible reputation and this is probably at least partially due to the fact that people don't know how to set them up.

mtbr member
    can someone clear this up for me? and what is the bottomout reistance, what does it do?

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by freerider167
    can someone clear this up for me? and what is the bottomout reistance, what does it do?
    resists bottom out. helps prevent the shock from harshly blowing through the end stroke, or it could be said as how much a shock will ramp up near the end of it's travel...

RJN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Castle
    resists bottom out. helps prevent the shock from harshly blowing through the end stroke, or it could be said as how much a shock will ramp up near the end of it's travel...

Glad i found this thread, only just got mine up and rnning over the weekend and was looking at other manuafaturers bikes with a DHX5 and thought i had a bit of my shock missing!

great bike though

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by RJN
    Glad i found this thread, only just got mine up and rnning over the weekend and was looking at other manuafaturers bikes with a DHX5 and thought i had a bit of my shock missing!

great bike though
    have you built it? where are the pictures?

RJN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Castle
    have you built it? where are the pictures?

There you go.