trail addict

'06 Demo 8 I vs newer versions of demo?

According to the geometry numbers on the website, the 06 Demo 8 is really not all that different from the newer version(s).... so I was wondering if anybody who has ridden both the old ('06) and newer ('07-09) or newest ('10) could let me know if the 06 really gives up anything in the areas of handling or suspension.

I know the HA and BB have changed a little, but the '06 in the slack setting sounds like a really good compromise on paper (I don't need WC DH geometry). I can also see that the shock is driven a little differently and the frame tubes are very different, but functionally, it all seems very similar.

As for components, the stock set-up on the '06 Demo 8 I seems adequate (but not excellent)... any weaknesses there to watch out for?

My 160mm coil-susp enduro has served me well, but it is starting to hold me back at higher speeds and rougher terrain. My next bike will see local shuttles and east-coast bike parks over the summer along with maybe a couple of beginner races. My main use is just for fun, not racing. And my budget is tight, but I have been seeing lightly used 05-06 Demos really dropping in price.

Would I be making a mistake in shopping for an '06-ish Demo 8 I or II?

Thanks for any insights...
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I ride a 2006 Demo 8 I, so I can talk a bit about that. Unfortunately, I can't help you with the comparison part of your question.

The short synopsis is that it's a great working man's freeride and park bike. In the slack setting, the head angle is a full two degrees steeper than a new Demo, which you would definitely notice on steep terrain. Even at the time, that wasn't really DH geometry. It's a good parts-spec for durability and price, though.

Things to watch out for?
    1. I don't love the brakes. I find the Juicy 5s to be about the same as Hayes HFX-9s of the same vintage, which is to say, not a lot of modulation and mediocre stopping power.
    2. The fork is decent, but not awesome. If you ride the stock 888 RC2 and then a more expensive fork in back-to-back runs, you will definitely notice.
    3. I have a tiny bit of play somewhere in the shock mount when in the slack setting. I have replaced the DU bushings to no avail. I am starting to wonder if the mounting holes are slightly ovalized. Not sure if this is common or unique to my bike.
    4. The bottom bracket and cranks can be problematic. I had to replace the original BB and even still, the non-drive side crank will occasionally back itself off. Just means I have to carry an 8mm tool and check it periodically. Not a big deal, but a bit of a pain.

The bottom line, though, is that I love my bike. It's the first big bike that I have kept for more than two seasons. When it comes time to replace it, it will almost certainly be with another Demo ... or maybe an SX Trail. I do between 10 and 15 days per year at bike parks around BC, and so far it has stood up to the abuse admirably.

mtbr member

hi

[QUOTE=Thaumaturge]
    3. I have a tiny bit of play somewhere in the shock mount when in the slack setting. I have replaced the DU bushings to no avail. I am starting to wonder if the mounting holes are slightly ovalized. Not sure if this is common or unique to my bike.

I had that same problem on my 06. Turns out there wernt enough threads on the foward mounting bolt. This fixed it for me: Put a 1 mm washer under the hex head of the shock bolt. You should be able to tighten the bolt more because more threads are available. Good luck
    I'm [SIZE="4"]GNARcissistic[/SIZE]

trail addict
    [QUOTE=Demodude]
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaumaturge

I had that same problem on my 06. Turns out there wernt enough threads on the foward mounting bolt. This fixed it for me: Put a 1 mm washer under the hex head of the shock bolt. You should be able to tighten the bolt more because more threads are available. Good luck
    Yeah, I heard about the shock play somewhere else... seems like an easy fix, though...

Thamaturge: I appreciate your insight. I know the HA will give up a little bit of stability, but I'd do better with a slightly less-choppered bike on most of my riding. My bud's Demo 7 feels about right to me, should be close to the geo of the '06 D8 (give or take a degree/mm here and there).
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Demodude
    I'm going to give that a whirl. If this works for me, you are my hero!