mtbr member
    Sep 2005

06 carbon epic S-WORKS

Has anyone had a chance to try one out yet.

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    Haven't seen one yet, but the new Mountain Bike Action (1/06) tests it. Pretty good review.

Are you talking to me?

It had better.

For $7000, it had better have a good review.
    gfy

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Did MBA Action test the disc version or rimbrake version?

What did they say it weighed?

Cyclovore
    Well you better add about a hundred bucks for a set of pedals.
    Bliss is thumping the prophet through the woods, as "Painkiller " wails through your phones. Ride a metal monster.

mtbr member

carbon

I know that someone from my LBS has ordered one (paid in full) and there are a handful of poeple waiting to see it. I am hoping to get a quick spin on it.

mtbr member

I was told mid -December for the frame

I have the frame on order and was told mid-December, but I expect it to be later. They usually ship bikes before frames.

mtbr member

What did MBA say?

Quote Originally Posted by sthrnfat
    Haven't seen one yet, but the new Mountain Bike Action (1/06) tests it. Pretty good review.
    Can you give some details as to what the MBA test said? Basic pros/cons.

K n e e m o i
    Quote Originally Posted by EPICYZ
    Can you give some details as to what the MBA test said? Basic pros/cons.
    Here is one I posted on the different thread.

Quote from MBA Magazine:

"Specialied has spend four years making the Brain shock more forgiving while competitors have been dialing in their rears suspension to work with platforum shock like the Fox RP3 or Manitou Swinger. The performance gap between the orgiginal Fox brain shock and platform shocks (applied to well designed suspension) has narrowed dramatically during this development period. Today's dual suspension cross country playing field is more level than 2003."

So, the 2005 brain and earlier brains were not that good, (I kinda agree, riding the Epic for year.) or below the other bikes with platform shock. The new brain fade is obviously better, but it just is catching up to the field with the other platform bikes with RP3's and swingers. So from my opinion, the S-Works Epic is not really the "da bomb" bike that it claims to be, the carbon front triangle made it more competitive with the others with the RP3 and other designs.

"It responds to the demands of the most talented pro level CC racer, but it does all this at a price."

No Way! Really?

"Specialized's decision to use the Brain Fade shock has forced them to use exotic materials in other areas to get the bike's weight in lin with the competition, and this puts a premium on the bike."

You don't say, eh?

So brain fade is heavier than the predecessors, so they used CF to bring the weight down to a competitive level. I guess the S-Works carbon is the hardcore bike that is "more level" on the playing field with other platforms.

It does make sense, more parts, more weight. Hmmm... very interesting. So the Non-Sworks Epics (M5) should obviously be heavier. I guess they made it "better", but with a significant sacrifice in weight. Maybe next year, they'll come out with carbon fiber rear triangle.

By the way, for you weight weenies, the weight they stated was 25.1lb for disc brake Carbon SWORKS version.

I don't know, for weight weenies, then this bike may not be the one to have. Why would you pay 7K+tax and get a bike that is "in line" with the competition when you can get others for half that? If I am going to pay 7K for a bike, I am going to want one that is "da bomb" per se.

I know, inertia valve, but to tell you the truth, after riding my Epic for a year, I noticed that it really lacks small bump compliance. To me, as I don't really race, a rear shock that only activates on significant bump is just extra weight. I have checked the air pressure and adjusted it to my weight, but the "delay" I feel on consecutive bumps is really turning me off. (You go down the 5th or 6th dip and then after you go down, the shock activates a second later with a "conk" feeling.) This is the nature of the inertia valve, and I personally can't stand this feeling. "Will it open or will it not" feeling has been criticized in "What Mountain Bike" magazine.

The new Brain fade is adjustable to "SOFT" to eliminate that problem to get small bump compliance from what others have stated, but then it will be like the PROPEDAL RP3. I have ridden several RP3 and DhX Air shock equiped bikes at the trail demo, and I only could notice a "hint" of bob when I hammer out of the pedal. To some, this "hint" is not acceptable, but hey, everyone has his or her own preferences. I don't know, maybe in a few years, the Epic will be the most ultimate bike, right now, it just doesn't seem like it.
    Last edited by Daffunda; 11-26-2005 at 12:10 PM.

K n e e m o i
    I have the frame on order and was told mid-December, but I expect it to be later. They usually ship bikes before frames.
    That's the beauty of working at a bike shop. you get to see the new stuff first, and get discounts on them.

mtbr member

MBA Review

Very good review. Liked the Brain Fade over the Brain IQ from last year. Liked the 100mm travel. Really liked the improved geometry. Only real negative was the price compared to bikes that are getting closer in performance. Sounds like the less expensive models are the way to go.

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    Very good review. Liked the Brain Fade over the Brain IQ from last year. Liked the 100mm travel. Really liked the improved geometry. Only real negative was the price compared to bikes that are getting closer in performance. Sounds like the less expensive models are the way to go.
    Take a look at the Epic Disc. The same basic ride characteristics as the carbon with a frame that shouldn't weigh more than about a quarter pound more than the carbon - with respectable parts list - all for $2200. All the things that they liked in the review can be found in the Epic Disc.

For XC racers you can take a look at the Pro Circuit to see that other FS bikes just aren't as efficient. There are certain courses where other teams are opting for a hardtail for increased efficiency over the FS bikes that they have at their disposal - especially if there are short steep climbs that will have to be climbed out of the saddle. Specialized riders are still using the Epic on those courses because it really is that efficient. If it weren't then they'd just ride their S-Works hardtail instead.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I don't think the aluminum Epic frame is any more heavy than comparable frames. 5-5.5 lbs., something like that.

K n e e m o i
    Quote Originally Posted by GrantB
    I don't think the aluminum Epic frame is any more heavy than comparable frames. 5-5.5 lbs., something like that.
    Well, I don't know the specific numbers, but getting the weight "in line" with the competition (since it has the new heavier brain fade) was the purpose of the carbon, from what I read in the reviews.

I think the new epics are a great bike, maybe weight weenies would complain. The Epic Carbon frame CLAIMED weight (with shock) is 5.1lb, which is "in line" with the competition. (Yeti ASR, Titus, Blur, etc etc.) 7100 smackers to get the weight "in line" with the competition is just unacceptable.

But hey, take a good dump and you'd be up to competition i guess.

K n e e m o i
    Quote Originally Posted by sthrnfat
    Take a look at the Epic Disc. The same basic ride characteristics as the carbon with a frame that shouldn't weigh more than about a quarter pound more than the carbon - with respectable parts list - all for $2200. All the things that they liked in the review can be found in the Epic Disc.

For XC racers you can take a look at the Pro Circuit to see that other FS bikes just aren't as efficient. There are certain courses where other teams are opting for a hardtail for increased efficiency over the FS bikes that they have at their disposal - especially if there are short steep climbs that will have to be climbed out of the saddle. Specialized riders are still using the Epic on those courses because it really is that efficient. If it weren't then they'd just ride their S-Works hardtail instead.
    It also depends on where you ride though.

Although I think there is more than a quarter pound difference. (My guess, at LEAST half) If it only was about 0.2 or less pounds difference, then it would be an ultimate waste of money. In that case, I think specialized messed up big time, but hey, some want the "carbon" namesake and it is worth that extra price and that small weight difference.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    There may not be enough carbon in the bike yet, but don't forget that carbon can provide a different/better feel too -- I love my carbon road bike.

Maybe reports on how the carbon epic rides will be useful in deternining if it makes a difference for anything other than grams.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

MBA Article

The MBA article tested the disc brake version which is spec'ed with heavy fox fork and disc brakes. The rim brake version has lighter 06 Reba fork, DT Swiss XR 1540 wheels and Sram XO Carbon shifters/XO Derailler. It is probably a good 1lb lighter. Ned O. rode one at National Championship that weighed at 22.6 lbs with disc brakes. It had Reba forks, Mavic wheels (no crossmax) and disc brakes.

I ordered RIM brake version and it is due in mid December. I sold everything I have (bikes not kids) so I hope I like it. -BRD

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    While the brain may not give you extra comfort in small stuff or give you more traction on some climbs, it does bomb down technical single track much easier than a HT. I'm sure it shaves quite a few seconds on the right trail for me. I would say on the right race course it would shave 30-100secs per hour if the dh are very rough. Does the extra weight slow me down 30-100secs per hour...not sure, but doubt it.

On a smooth trail that does not activate the brain much...yes extra weight.

mtbr member

Aluminum frame is lighter this year

Don't have the weights, but the frame is lighter due to new tubes up front and the new rear end.

K n e e m o i
    Don't have the weights, but the frame is lighter due to new tubes up front and the new rear end.
    Someone should go out and measure the weight of the frame, although it is hard when the bike comes assembled. The new brain shock is heavier, but the new frame is lighter, so......

Oh man, I'm getting infected by weight-weenie-itis. Time to convince myself to go take a dump.

Mtc
    mtbr member
    Oh man, I'm getting infected by weight-weenie-itis. Time to convince myself to go take a dump.[/QUOTE]

Imagine if you took a dump AND your bike was lighter. That would be light.

Dude!
    Chicks dig carbon fiber...

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mo-Tay
    Chicks dig carbon fiber...
    ... and taking dumps

mtbr member

Next week!

My LBS said my Carbon Epic frame set is scheduled to ship next week! Man I can only hope.