mtbr member

"06 Brain Fade/Stumpy FSR Pro Review

I rode an '06 Stumpy Pro with the Brain Fade today. I was interested to see the Brain Fade felt compared to the Brain onmy '05 Epic. I was very surprized. Even set on full "hard" the Brain Fade was never locked out like on my Epic. To me, it works like Pro Pedal only alittle better. This is not a slam, just different than I expected. I think it is a killer bike. I hope the Brain Fade on the '06 Epic locks out because I like that feel better for XC racing.

Boomslang

Brain Fade - Epic vs. Stumpjumper

Your observation is correct. The Stumpjumper Brain is a "Trail Tune", which mean never locked out firm like an Epic. It gives you a range of firmness to adjust your pedaling feel, but still allows you to sit at your sag point. Also, remember that the Brain is superior to any pedal platform because it goes away when the terrain gets rough. Compression damped pedal platforms are always on.

The Epic is a "Race Tune" brain, which is adjustable from lock out firm to a medium Trail Tune.

Jake Wake

mtbr member

How different..

Jakewake,

How different is the '06 Epic Brain than the '05? I have an '06 Epic on order. I know it will feel some what different than my '05, but how so?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Yes, you are right.

The Stumpy brain will not fully lock out, but it provides a firm ride nonetheless. There is small shock movement when seated (2-3mm) and if you don't try to bounce on it then you can expect it to ride very well on tarmac and up fire trails. Similarly, standing up and pedalling hard will induce some movement, however I have found that the first pedal stroke will use up a bit of travel but then the shock stays compressed and movement is still only about 2-3mm, even with rebound set mid-range. I was quite happy with this.

The Epic brain will definately lock out, in fact the 06 brainfade version can be permanently locked out (why you would I don't know) and on the soft setting will perform more like the Stumpy brain. There is no initial movement with an Epic brain - they are still the XC race bike.

Initially I was concerned about the movement in the Stumpy, but now that I've ridden it a bit I can definately see the benifits for general trail riding and climbing. How can the Stumpy be better than an Epic climbing I hear you say? Perhaps from an efficiency point of view the Epic would win quite easily, and on an extended non-technical climb the Stumpy may fall slightly behind. But from my experience, the more active yet still firm Stumpy brain sticks the rear wheel to the ground really well, and from my rides on an Epic (although not a new one) the Stumpjumper can climb rocky and technical stuff more easily. A downside is that it takes a while to get used to the Stumpy geometry as the front end tends to lift up a little easier, especially if you're used to reafing on the bars of an Epic to pop the front.

Overall, I would say
    Epic: Hardtail firm, adjustable from firm but not locked to fully locked
    XC race geometry
    Suitable for racers who want a hardtail with compliance

Stumpjumper: Firm shock with minimal movement and great small (and big!) bump sensitivity
    More trail riding geometry, but still aggressive
    Not as good for racing as some efficiency lost, but great for the trail and downhill

Personally, for the weight penalty of full suspension (my Stumpy Pro weighs 27lbs) and for the more sport rather than race riding I do I would rather have the plushness and technical abilities of the Stumpy under me. The Epic is a great bike, but my riding is so much more fun on the Stumpy. People out there will still love their Epic more than a Stumpy and that's just the way it is, but don't be put off by the Stumpy movement before you've had a real go on it. You might change your mind like I did.

K n e e m o i
    Quote Originally Posted by EPICYZ
    I rode an '06 Stumpy Pro with the Brain Fade today. I was interested to see the Brain Fade felt compared to the Brain onmy '05 Epic. I was very surprized. Even set on full "hard" the Brain Fade was never locked out like on my Epic. To me, it works like Pro Pedal only alittle better. This is not a slam, just different than I expected. I think it is a killer bike. I hope the Brain Fade on the '06 Epic locks out because I like that feel better for XC racing.
    EPICYZ, do you upgrade your bike every year, 04, 05, and now 06 Epic?

If so, is it really worth doing?

mtbr member

Probably not worth it but...

Fun anyway. Boys and their toys.