mtbr member
    Feb 2005

06 Brain on an 05 Stumpy Pro

Anyone know if you can add the new brain to the 05 stumpy pro?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    dont think there would be anywhere to mount the external "brain" part. plus its for 130 vs 120 mm

bg.
    mtbr member
    yes you can, or at least unofficailly Specialized has told me it's possible

You gotta change the seatstays and possibly the lower shock mount linkage,

That's next years upgrade for me.

just like a speeder-bike
    Quote Originally Posted by bg.

Really?! I didn't think you could buy any "Fox-made-specially-for-Specialized" shock (like the Triad, or Brain...). I thought you had to buy the bike or frame to get one of those!

K n e e m o i

Even if that is true, that is so not worth going through just to get the brain shock. Sure, if you change the rear triangle, it will be possible, but are you going to go through all that trouble?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Good point. I still think the jury is out on the whole Brain deal, but I'd love to try it out. I absolutely love my stumpy pro so I'm not really in a hurry to change it (although I would like to see what PUSH can do for my Talas and Septune).
    Last edited by Fassn8; 10-12-2005 at 04:24 PM. Reason: mistake

bg.
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barkdog
    Really?! I didn't think you could buy any "Fox-made-specially-for-Specialized" shock (like the Triad, or Brain...). I thought you had to buy the bike or frame to get one of those!
    Contact Specialized, they stock the shocks and will sell them. Otherwise, where would you get one if you crash and break the original?

As for whether it's worth it, I believe it is. I rode an Epic last year, I believe in the Brain. I used the Fox Septune for a month this spring, I have since upgraded to a 5th element air shock (with all sorts of modifications to the linkage to make it fit) the 5th is superior in performance and feel. The upgrade to the brain will be cheaper than changing the bike frame, and hopefully give even better performance than the 5th element.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I have since upgraded to a 5th element air shock (with all sorts of modifications to the linkage to make it fit) the 5th is superior in performance and feel.
    really? what kind of modifications? do you have a picture of the bike with the 5thE on it?

thanks

bg.
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yanick
    really? what kind of modifications? do you have a picture of the bike with the 5thE on it?

thanks

No pics, sorry.

The rear shock link is welded together down the middle, the weld has to be filed down to fit the shock, also, the seatstay has to have a small amount of filing down beneath the bridge, otherwise the SPV valve gets hit on bottom out.

I also had to file down the shock a small amount opposite the SPV valve, quite a nerve racking experience to mill down a shock that is already the lightest on the market, not much room for error.

I would not recommend it unless you really know what you're doing, it could be an expensive project if you bugger up a part. That said, I love the ride it gives, It's matched with a Minute 2 130mm in the front, full SPV baby!