mtbr member

'06 Bike Deliveries

Has anyone gotten their hands on an '06 Epic yet? I ordered mine last week and the dealer mentioned that it would be in by mid Sept. Also, are the '06 bikes made of M5 or M4 material? The European dealer book in another post seems to show M5 material for all models except for the S-works.

K n e e m o i
    Quote Originally Posted by Hourican
    Has anyone gotten their hands on an '06 Epic yet? I ordered mine last week and the dealer mentioned that it would be in by mid Sept. Also, are the '06 bikes made of M5 or M4 material? The European dealer book in another post seems to show M5 material for all models except for the S-works.

All of the epics (including the low end ones) are M5. Sworks is Carbon. I personally didn't notice a difference between M4 (05 non Sworks) and M5 (05 Sworks). The bike weight differences come significantly from the components when it comes to alloy frames.

It's a shame that they only offer anodized paint on the marathon now. If I were you, I would get the black ano marathon. The others have regular paint, which is heavier and chips easily.

Also, I wonder how the brain fade performs on the 06. I personally think the 06 shock is heavier from the 05 due to that extra "trail tune" feature on the 06. Since the Epic shocks only activate when it is necessary, I just don't understand why you would want to turn it off. If you turn it off to make it like a hardtail, it'll just be a hardtail with an extra weight on the back.
    Last edited by Daffunda; 09-04-2005 at 07:02 AM.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. How much lighter do you estimate the adonized paint job will be for an XL frame?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Hourican
    Thanks for the info. How much lighter do you estimate the adonized paint job will be for an XL frame?

About 150g-200g i'd say, plus anodized finishes don't scratch!

W

K n e e m o i
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Z11
    About 150g-200g i'd say, plus anodized finishes don't scratch!

W
    I was waiting for someone to answer, since I really didn't know the exact number, but 150g? I didn't think the paints would be that heavy. If that is really the case, I'm glad I have the anodized paint on mine Plus I changed out all the "OK" parts to "awesome" parts, so I saved quite a few grams from stock.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Sorry, i looked at the wrong frame! it's actually about 70g. After i posted that i thought something was wrong there...

Ez
    Last edited by E-Z11; 09-06-2005 at 12:31 PM. Reason: wrong figure