Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    PSI
    PSI is offline
    I want that one
    Reputation: PSI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,037

    New question here. 06 bighit w/front derailleur and 22/32?

    Has anyone tried this setup?

    my lbs is offering me a very sweet deal on a 06 bighit II. they have setup a bighit with an e-type front derailleur with 32/44 chainrings before and they say that they can do a 22/32 setup but need to swap the crank to one that can take a 22 chain ring. It all sounds good, the only unknown is will it screw up the chain line. anyone know?

    Also, will the e-type derailleur interfere with a double ring chainguide (e13 has one i think) if i want to add one in the future?

    Thanks, PSI

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: henryl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    312
    I have an 06 Bighit 2 frame and I have been trying to put a front derailleur on it for a while now. An E-type mounts fine (whether it interferes with a chainguide, I don't know) but the frame doesn't have a cable guide under the bottom bracket so I have not been able to hook up the derailleur to the front shifter. A standard under the bottom bracket cable guide will not work and my shop and Specialized tech support knew nothing about a custom cable guide. Did the bike you are interested in have the front derailleur and shifter mounted and was it functioning? If so, how was the cable routed under the bottom bracket?

  3. #3
    PSI
    PSI is offline
    I want that one
    Reputation: PSI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,037
    Quote Originally Posted by henry
    I have an 06 Bighit 2 frame and I have been trying to put a front derailleur on it for a while now. An E-type mounts fine (whether it interferes with a chainguide, I don't know) but the frame doesn't have a cable guide under the bottom bracket so I have not been able to hook up the derailleur to the front shifter. A standard under the bottom bracket cable guide will not work and my shop and Specialized tech support knew nothing about a custom cable guide. Did the bike you are interested in have the front derailleur and shifter mounted and was it functioning? If so, how was the cable routed under the bottom bracket?
    its weird. couldn't find the second cable stop around the bb area either. whats even weirder is that the frame has e-type derailleur tab above the bb on the drive side which would indicate that the frame was intended to be front derailleur friendly.
    the mechanic that put the the front derailleur on a big hit before was around to ask, but im assuming you could go the continuous housing route ignoring the one cable stop that is there.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: henryl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    312
    Yeah it's weird that they would put the tab on for an E-type and the cable stop under the down tube for the housing but not have a way to route the derailleur cable under the bottom bracket. The E-type derailleur I have does not have a cable stop on it so you could not run continuous housing to it. I have never seen an E-type with a cable stop built in, not to say they don't exist.

    Let me know how your shop has that one set up with a front derailluer and shifter, if it actually does. Right now I am wedging a 10mm dia rod into the front derailleur pivot that puts the derailleur in the right place for the 32 tooth ring and then I manually remove it to go into the granny. Shifting if manual but since I only use the granny for long climbs up, it isn't a big deal.

  5. #5
    PSI
    PSI is offline
    I want that one
    Reputation: PSI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,037
    Quote Originally Posted by henryl
    Yeah it's weird that they would put the tab on for an E-type and the cable stop under the down tube for the housing but not have a way to route the derailleur cable under the bottom bracket. The E-type derailleur I have does not have a cable stop on it so you could not run continuous housing to it. I have never seen an E-type with a cable stop built in, not to say they don't exist.

    Let me know how your shop has that one set up with a front derailluer and shifter, if it actually does. Right now I am wedging a 10mm dia rod into the front derailleur pivot that puts the derailleur in the right place for the 32 tooth ring and then I manually remove it to go into the granny. Shifting if manual but since I only use the granny for long climbs up, it isn't a big deal.
    im suppose to be at the lbs monday. ill keep you updated.

  6. #6
    PSI
    PSI is offline
    I want that one
    Reputation: PSI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,037

    solution found!

    Henry, looks like a ran into the big hit II that just got a fr derailleur. its basically a piece of plastic that most specialized have, it attaches to the bb and runs around it and behind popping the cable out right under the derailleur (red arrow). doh. i think what threw me off was the location of the one cable stop which results in a massive length of exposed cable... anyways here's some pics courtesy of my new cell phone.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: henryl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    312
    Hey thanks a million for posting pics! Now I know it can defintely be done. What was throwing me off was I had a cable guide similar to the one in the picture but it was from an older Enduro and it didn't even come close to fitting. Obviously there could be (and appearently is) other designs of the plastic cable guide but my Specialized dealer didn't know of one that would fit (Spec tech support wasn't helpful either). My bottom bracket shell doesn't have a tapped hole for mounting the plastic guide, I guess this one snaps into place in the small hole that is on the BB shell?

    Thanks again for posting pics. I will ask my dealer again or go to another dealer and see if they can hook me up with one.

  8. #8
    PSI
    PSI is offline
    I want that one
    Reputation: PSI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,037
    Quote Originally Posted by henryl
    Hey thanks a million for posting pics! Now I know it can defintely be done. What was throwing me off was I had a cable guide similar to the one in the picture but it was from an older Enduro and it didn't even come close to fitting. Obviously there could be (and appearently is) other designs of the plastic cable guide but my Specialized dealer didn't know of one that would fit (Spec tech support wasn't helpful either). My bottom bracket shell doesn't have a tapped hole for mounting the plastic guide, I guess this one snaps into place in the small hole that is on the BB shell?

    Thanks again for posting pics. I will ask my dealer again or go to another dealer and see if they can hook me up with one.
    any time. ill give you more detailed mounting info if i go ahead with my bighit deal, which is looking even better now the ft dr issue is sorted out.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1
    Hi folks..

    Thanks for posting solution to front derailleur for big hit 2006 but was also wondering if the same (or similar) plasic bracket is compatible with 2008 big hit? Also which derailleur could be used?? I have already bought Shimano XT FDM7780 but now looking at pics don't know if this is the right one as the bolt which clamps the cable is not on the drive side of the cranks. Can anybody help??

    Cheers
    Last edited by msk_74; 05-04-2011 at 02:15 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •