TNC
    noMAD man

'06 base Enduro model today.

We just got one of these in the shop today, and basically it was a disappointment. The biggest problem IMHO was the Fox DHX 3.0 rear shock. Of course it had no boost valve or bottom-out chamber adjustment, but it had no Propedal adjustment either. The shock has a label indicating a Propedal feature but obviously no adjustability. We rode this bike around the area outside the shop, and it bobs very noticeably...and I'm mean noticeably. One of the other guys in the shop has an '05 Expert a Progressive 5th Element Air. It is very efficient with very little movement during pedaling. Actually the rear felt quite good in handling bumps, even severe square edged ones. It just appears it's going to be over active in most pedaling situations.

The second disappointment was the fork. It's badged as an "AM-SL", but it likely has OEM issues. It's supposed to be coil with air assist, but to get any plushness out of it, you lost a good deal of travel in sag.

The Brakes are hydraulic Hayes 9's, but the calipers are a cheezy single piston Sole model.

The rest of the bike was fairly decent for a base model. It even has a chain roller. The higher end models appear to be spec'd with a much better suspension package, but I'd still reserve judgement until I got to see and ride the actual product. Some of the previously discussed OEM issues that Specialized has incorporated into their line seem fairly prevalent on this base model, and I'd want to see how the higher models check out. Personally, this base model is one I'd avoid. It seems the higher end models will be better choices and probably worth the upgrades.

mtbr member
    I'm going to go ahead and give the link to that little tirad you referred to. And for the record, I myself am still taking the "risk" and going for an SX. If I have any weekends staring at a shockless bike though, you can bet I'll be a postin'.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=137618

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004

Money

Oh, let us know as well what it rides on the trails as well. For the last few years have ended up having frame only builds with part swaps with quality lasting items. i'e thomson XT etc.

I had a cannondale gemini as a full bike and the oem stuf on that were quick to give up the gohst too.

I'm sure you wont have problems with the sx trail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by catnash
    Oh, let us know as well what it rides on the trails as well. For the last few years have ended up having frame only builds with part swaps with quality lasting items. i'e thomson XT etc.

I had a cannondale gemini as a full bike and the oem stuf on that were quick to give up the gohst too.

I'm sure you wont have problems with the sx trail.
    I'm actually probably going to go full custom (rear shock aside). My old ride is 100% toast with no swapability since its 12 yrs old. I haven't heard back from my lbs on the pricetag for the dream ride I spec'd out, but I'm going to have a hard time saying no. In the end I'm darn sure I would be totally happy on the stock model, but being in my early 30's this is probably to last bad ass bike purchase I'll ever make and I don't have a wife to answer to so I'm thinking it should be an ultimate toy (I don't care about cars/boats cause I can't have 'em). I have no regrets going full bad ass 12 years ago because quality did indeed last (Rock Shox Mag 21 STILL works )...but it also makes me nervous.
    God I wanna ride so bad.

-kcavt

TNC
    noMAD man

Last "BA" bike at 30?

Quote Originally Posted by kcavtca
    I'm actually probably going to go full custom (rear shock aside). My old ride is 100% toast with no swapability since its 12 yrs old. I haven't heard back from my lbs on the pricetag for the dream ride I spec'd out, but I'm going to have a hard time saying no. In the end I'm darn sure I would be totally happy on the stock model, but being in my early 30's this is probably to last bad ass bike purchase I'll ever make and I don't have a wife to answer to so I'm thinking it should be an ultimate toy (I don't care about cars/boats cause I can't have 'em). I have no regrets going full bad ass 12 years ago because quality did indeed last (Rock Shox Mag 21 STILL works )...but it also makes me nervous.
    God I wanna ride so bad.

-kcavt
    Yeah, when you break into the 30's, you have one foot in the grave and a reservation lined up at the rest home...LOL! I think I know what you meant, but really, you have plenty of hardcore riding time left. I'm 54 and still having fun with big hit bikes. So have fun...and don't order that old folk's mobility scooter quite yet.

mtbr member
    TNC thank you! Just the reply I needed. I'm 31 and already thinking maybe I'm too old for this FR stuff. I know I'm wrong and even though kids on their FR machines are doing insane things doesn't mean I can't have fun either, right? So here I go and I'm ordering a BigHit tomorrow. No excuses, pure fun and I'm back to the roots of MTB again. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    Yeah, when you break into the 30's, you have one foot in the grave and a reservation lined up at the rest home...LOL! I think I know what you meant, but really, you have plenty of hardcore riding time left. I'm 54 and still having fun with big hit bikes. So have fun...and don't order that old folk's mobility scooter quite yet.
    Too funny, I saw that coming. I didn't forget to order the motorized EZ Lounger either.
    I want to ride a long time, so I'll be investing in some nice pads too. which I'm sure will do wonders for encouraging risks....hell of a lot more fun than an EZ Lounger.

Simin is in the right mood too, there's never too old just as long as the brain keeps the body in bounds. I want to ride as long as I can walk....maybe longer.

-kcavt

Bike to the Bone...
    I think he meant that 30's when you start having a nice solid income and not too many financial expenses and you can afford to pay for nicer toys. When you get married you get lot's of expenses, and less money to spend.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    What about coil shock options? This was the glaring issue that needed to be solved from the 05 models.

TNC
    noMAD man

Like the DHX coil?

Quote Originally Posted by ronny
    What about coil shock options? This was the glaring issue that needed to be solved from the 05 models.
    Ronny, wasn't exactly sure on your question. Do you mean, why there are no coils in the Enduro lineup and only in the SX lineup?...or something else? It is a shame there is no reasonably priced coil in any of the Enduros.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rzozaya1969
    I think he meant that 30's when you start having a nice solid income and not too many financial expenses and you can afford to pay for nicer toys. When you get married you get lot's of expenses, and less money to spend.
    While that was the main point, TNC was right on to bust on one phrase "this is the last bad ass bike I'll buy". I was indeed inferring age played a factor....and given my last kickass bike lasted 12 years, and this new one is so f'ing expensive, I really am hoping with proper maintanence this thing keeps me happy forever. Given the level of engineering these days it shouldn't be impossible.

I'll also note that if I hit the lottery, yea, I'll buy a stable.

-kcavt

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Coil on the Enduro.

Ronny, wasn't exactly sure on your question. Do you mean, why there are no coils in the Enduro lineup and only in the SX lineup?...or something else? It is a shame there is no reasonably priced coil in any of the Enduros.
    I was wondering about the Enduro and if there was a coil option. Last year Specialized only put the POS 5th air on the Enduro.

I don't know too much about the Enduro and SX line up this year. The 66 on the SX last year was way too tall for my liking, but I liked the 5th coil on that bike. I like the design of the new Enduro but Specialized has done some really strange things with the coil and air shock options on these bikes. No coil option on the Enduro = WTF!!! The DHX air is a step up from the 5th, but the Enduro needs a coil shock option.

I will check out the Specialized website and see if the new bikes are up.

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004

Coil

Yep this years sx trail bikes have the dhx coils.