Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 05 SX Trail

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

05 SX Trail

There is a fair amount of good info in the Enduro thread about this bike. I think it would be nice to have a thread dedicated to this bike and the problems with the 5th Element coil that comes stock on the bike. The fact that Specialized has spec'd a one off shock on this bike is not a great thing. The fact that this shock is useless and blows up on a regular basis with the type of riding that this bike was designed and is intended for is even worse. There are some viable solutions to this problem and it would be nice to see the Big S step up and do something about it. IMHO, this is not just a part defect issue but a manufacturer design issue.

Specialized needs to do something to correct the ongoing problem with the 5th Element on the SXT. Having the bike down for service on a regular basis because of a faulty shock Specialized had specifically designed for this bike is simply not acceptable on a $4500 machine.

mtbr member
    agreed. They should really make or sell kits which make a DHX to a remot resivor.I mean i like my 5th, but i believe i would like FOX more. i wonder if i can get an DHX air for cheap, cause i like the coil for downhill, but maybe the air shock is better.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

agreed

If I hear any info, I will post it up!

mtbr member
    question, do you think Pushed would offer something like making a DHX coil with a remote ressie that fit the SX Trail? i was looking at the DHR and i saw the remote piggy, and i was wondering if you can do that with a DHX, you could most likly do it to a different one, maybe PUSHED might do this, it would be pricey, but it's pushed, it would feel better than a new DHX AND even better than 5TH.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=98458

Your thread already exists, and has all the answers you are looking for.

Group Hug Participant

Thanks for the headsup, but...

that thread's a complete mess. If you re-read nsmb - synchro's post, this thread is specifically for the SXT.

Quote Originally Posted by bikenweed

Official Chocolate Fountain Spokesman

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I'm sorry it's not organized, but all of your answers are in there. No, it is not only about the SXT, but the majority of the info it supplies is about the SXT. That JakeWake guy, a Specialized engineer, makes several helpful comments there.

Personally, I put a Fox Vanilla on my SX, and it rides way better than with the 5th air that doesn't work anymore. After I read the other thread, it appears that I can get a DHX air for $150 from Specialized for my SX, something I will look into further once I get done with the world cups and get back into the states. You can do this too, speak with your local LBS and ask them. If they don't know what you're talking about, call up the big red S.

Good luck, it's a sweet bike, and even sweeter when it has a shock that works.

mtbr member
    I'm sorry it's not organized, but all of your answers are in there. No, it is not only about the SXT, but the majority of the info it supplies is about the SXT. That JakeWake guy, a Specialized engineer, makes several helpful comments there.

Personally, I put a Fox Vanilla on my SX, and it rides way better than with the 5th air that doesn't work anymore. After I read the other thread, it appears that I can get a DHX air for $150 from Specialized for my SX, something I will look into further once I get done with the world cups and get back into the states. You can do this too, speak with your local LBS and ask them. If they don't know what you're talking about, call up the big red S.

they don't have this upgrade for the coil... well atleast not for 150 more like 400 +79

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

other than continuing to get the shock rebuilt, which is not an appropriate solution, that thread does not provide any realistic solutions. i am more interested in hearing from other owners to see if specialized has done anything for them before i go to specialized myself. thanks for trying to help tho.

mtbr member
    that thread is about the 5th element coil shock problems, and i've only seen things about the dhx air, and the cane creek shock. the DHX air will cost us about 400-479 to replace since we have a coil. the canecreek is pretty expenxive, but a DHX coil would be nice, but that just doesn't fit.but they have a coil with a remote piggy on a turner, so why didn't they get one of those... i know the one on the turner doesn't fit but if it's custome they might be able to make it for people like us.

asp
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    i think they simply don't mind about us.
    it is now a lot of months with the problem and a lot of people from all part of the world asking... specialized customer service just gives stupid useless answers and at fox they simply don't answer. or just tells you... it's not possible.
    it's unbelieveble and it doesn't make any sense to a company like specialized!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    the 5th element on the sx trail 2005 it doesn't work any good, and you can't buy another shock because it won't fit! that's the only answer we got at the moment. in usa, in europe and anywhere else!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    C'mon guys we all know Kyle Strait ran the DHX 5.0 on his SXT all last season, Jakewake stepped up and told us how to mount one on our bikes but apparently a lot of people missed that info.

You need to use the slack shock shuttle (68.5*) with an '06 (recessed boost valve DHX) 8.75x2.75" and then for the coil spring you need the progressive coil clip (offset lower spring retainer) for the '05 SX-T. I ordered one today from Progressive for about $5 or so. I'll post up the part number on monday when I get it.

That is the recipe to mount a DHX-C on an Enduro plain and simple. Fox and Specialized do not openly endorse this setup but they acknowledge that it can be done. I am still debating giving it a shot or not, I love the DHX-A and I've been running it for hundreds of miles w/o incident. The only thing urging me to try the DHX coil is the extra travel and the slight increase in buttery-ness.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by punkassean
    C'mon guys we all know Kyle Strait ran the DHX 5.0 on his SXT all last season, Jakewake stepped up and told us how to mount one on our bikes but apparently a lot of people missed that info.

You need to use the slack shock shuttle (68.5*) with an '06 (recessed boost valve DHX) 8.75x2.75" and then for the coil spring you need the progressive coil clip (offset lower spring retainer) for the '05 SX-T. I ordered one today from Progressive for about $5 or so. I'll post up the part number on monday when I get it.

That is the recipe to mount a DHX-C on an Enduro plain and simple. Fox and Specialized do not openly endorse this setup but they acknowledge that it can be done. I am still debating giving it a shot or not, I love the DHX-A and I've been running it for hundreds of miles w/o incident. The only thing urging me to try the DHX coil is the extra travel and the slight increase in buttery-ness.

Try it and let us know how it works. Also, I can't believe you got the retainer for $5.00. Stupid me lost the air-valve cap (the mushroom shaped one) for my 5th coil and Progressive wanted $12.50 for it and $2.00 to ship it. I said no thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Good News... PUSH are doing a DHX COIL kit for this frame, will be released next month.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Digga
    Good News... PUSH are doing a DHX COIL kit for this frame, will be released next month.
    Sweet. I'm glad someone is still thinking about us--especially with the rumors floating around about Progressive getting out of the MTB biz.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Funny because I am in the process of doing my own kit as we speak. I have figured everything out as far as what's needed. I wonder if Push's kit will safely bump the travel to 167mm this mine will?

All you need is this:

1) '06 DHX coil shock, 8.75 X 2.75" with recessed boost chamber schrader valve
    1) Progressive conical coil-spring retainer (part# to come,OEM on '05 SXT 5th)
    1) Fox Shox conical bushing set for rear shock mount (Same as Enduro-specific DHX-Air)

Remove rear DU bushing from DHX and then install Progressive conical lower coil-spring retainer. Install shock on bike and run it. That's what Kyle Strait ran on his '05 SXT so I already know it works. I have the Progressive coil retainer on hand and the shock is on the way, I'll keep you all posted.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    ...That's what Kyle Strait ran on his '05 SXT so I already know it works. I have the Progressive coil retainer on hand and the shock is on the way, I'll keep you all posted.
    How do you get Air in the shock ?
    Do you have te remove the shock each time you want to put air in it ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by preppie
    How do you get Air in the shock ?
    Do you have te remove the shock each time you want to put air in it ?
    yes, although annoying it is better than on the Enduro specifc models that have no ability whatsoever to adjsut the boost valve pressure. Of course you can adjust the volume of the boost valve with the shock on the bike and that affects the pressure because it increases or decreases the chamber size. The idea would be "set it and forget it" Ronco food dehydrator stlye.

asp
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    yes, although annoying it is better than on the Enduro specifc models that have no ability whatsoever to adjsut the boost valve pressure. Of course you can adjust the volume of the boost valve with the shock on the bike and that affects the pressure because it increases or decreases the chamber size. The idea would be "set it and forget it" Ronco food dehydrator stlye.
    i'm doing the same.
    i'll post some pics.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    to get air in the boost valve of the dhx shock you only need to remove the front bolt that goes through the shuttle.

put your bike in a stand
    remove front shock bolt
    lift the rear end forward enough so you can attach a shock pump
    hold it up with a bingy cord
    add air

easy as pie.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    After I read the other thread, it appears that I can get a DHX air for $150 from Specialized for my SX, something I will look into further once I get done with the world cups and get back into the states. You can do this too, speak with your local LBS and ask them. If they don't know what you're talking about, call up the big red S.

the issue i'm raising is that the shock that came with the 05 sxt is basically useless. a $150 upgrade to a dhx air is not too tough a pill to swallow. having to pay full pop for a dhx coil is not acceptable. having the option to run either the air or the coil would be nice. in situations where the bike is gonna be used for all day riding in a bike park (whistler), the coil is the much preferred option.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Digga
    proof?? i emailed them and fox about that and they told me no

mtbr member

Shock options on Enduro SX

I read your post on putting a "Fox Vanilla on my SX" and wanted to get in touch. I've just purchased 2nd hand a 2005 enduro SX with 4.1 inches of travel and the 5thE Air on it. I dont much like the shock either and really purchased the bike with a view to put a longer
    i2i/stroke shock on it and turn into a 6+6 bike. What size vanilla did you put on yours? I read JakeWakes post that all of the 05 enduros except the SX could run the longer stroke 5thE Air or coil or DHX air and thought..oh cr*p, have I dont myself oout of another 2 inches....

Anyway, would appreciate your feedback on what you've done with your SX.

Double post - sorry
    Extracting stings from wasps in flight.

mtbr member

Shock options on Enduro SX

I read your post on putting a "Fox Vanilla on my SX" and wanted to get in touch. I've just purchased 2nd hand a 2005 enduro SX with 4.1 inches of travel and the 5thE Air on it. I dont much like the shock either and really purchased the bike with a view to put a longer
    i2i/stroke shock on it and turn into a 6+6 bike. What size vanilla did you put on yours? I read JakeWakes post that all of the 05 enduros except the SX could run the longer stroke 5thE Air or coil or DHX air and thought..oh cr*p, have I done myself out of another 2 inches....

Anyway, would appreciate your feedback on what you've done with your SX.
    Extracting stings from wasps in flight.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

shock update

For those of you that don't know, it is true that Specialized will do a shock upgrade to a dhx air for $150 for sxt owners.Head to your lbs to get the details. Unfortunately, this deal is only available in the US, Canadian owners get screwed as Specialized Canada is not doing this. I think i shall have to send off a letter to Specialized's head office or hopefully JakeWake will read this and can provide an answer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast