mtbr member
    Feb 2005

05 Stumpjumper 120 chainstay

my chaintstay snapped and so far Specialized are refusing to warranty it...they have assessed (thru e mailed pictures by my LBS) that it broke from impact damage...doean't make any sense to me cos i haven't crashed hard on it, banged the chainstay or do savage drops or any of that stuff...very disappointed that specialized are not willing to honour their warranty...anyway, i have 3 questions:

1)has anyone else broken a chainstay on their Stumpy? just wondering if its a common fault..

2) has anyone had a similar experience with them and successfully appealed their decision? if so, whats the best course of action?

3) my LBS is quoting a new chainstay/rear triangle (can't remember which they specified ) for 240 / $292...a guy in my club told me that he was quoted $50 for a new chainstay for his EPIC on this forum last year...anyone know where i can get a cheaper deal on a chainstay (or whole rear triangle, if necessary)?

thanks in advance lads

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I don't think that you will need a whole triangle. The rear triangle is actually 2 pieces.
    If you can't get it taken care of through warranty, contact specialized directly and ask if the portion is available separately. I bet it is. Then ask them for the part number. Have your lbs order that part using the number. This should save you a few bucks. Also, can you post pics of the chainstay?
    And if you have a chance, check out my thread about the 05 stumpys: Important: Attention All 2005 Stumpjumper Owners
    I also have an 05 stumpy 120