mtbr member
    Nov 2005

05 SJ Pro vs 06 SJ Pro

Trying to decide between these two. This will be my first FS bike having ridden a $800Novara HT for 2 years and ready to make a fun investment in a decent bike. I live in SLC, 6ft 2in and 240lbs and ride xc with only a few small drops of 1-2 feet depending on the trial. I can't see myself hucking anything larger. I am concerned about my size causing bobbing of the bike while climbing. I do most of my climbing in the seated position.

Anyway the question boils down to the fact I found a 05 SJ Pro for $2500 stock w/Septune, manitou minute, shimano integrated shifters/brakes XT version all which weigh in about 27.5 lbs. $2500 seems to be a good deal for this setup.

The 06 SJ Pro has the brain, fox talus shocks and non-integrated shifter/brake setup. I understand both of the 06 shocks have greater lock-out features than the 05 setup. The 06 weighs in about 1 more lb. The 06 is at a price for $3500. Thus the question "Is the 06 worth the additional $1000? How good is the brain feature? As I mentioned before I want to make a good investment and could afford the $1000 but is it worth it? On the other hand I don't want to look back in a year and kick myself for not getting the 06...hmmmmm any insights or thoughts?

At $3500 should I consider the Turner 5 spot also/instead??

I did ride both the 05 & 06 around on the streets and the size large felt like a good fit.
    Thanks for any input. Mark

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I have an 05 S-works that is in shop while the fork gets rebuilt. They've got me on a loaner 06 S-works (hard to complain with a loaner like that). I will say that i feel the Brain equipped version climbs better, however, I don't know that it's a $1000 better. I will also say that while I don't have the dual controls levers on either bike, I've ridden with them on a rental before and hated them. The X0 stuff on the 06 shifts _very_ nicely however compared to my XT set up, which already works pretty good. X0 or X9 will be in my future.

So comparing to the 2 bikes, I'd say the 06 is a better ride overall, however you'll have to be the judge if it's worth $1000. It's kinda like comparing a Lexus to an Infinity, both are nice rides and you won't be disappointed.

punga!

SXtreem now
    GB, The Pro is well worth the $1000 more. The Septune did not work well on the stumpy, is why it only ran for 1 season. The new Brain Fade is Awome!! Sram X.0, Fox Talas, mavic/dt swiss, you cant go wrong. Come see me(Justin) at the Bingham Cyclery in Provo, got a large on hand.