Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 48
  1. #1
    reflexes of a puma
    Reputation: gcaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    57

    05 SJ FSR Cables Crossed

    I saw some mention of this in my search, but am still not clear. My LBS installed the shifter cables so they cross on the downtube right over the water bottle cage bosses. This seems stupid, and I'm thinking they routed the cables wrong.

    Should the shift cables be straight down the down tube, or are they supposed to cross?

    TIA!

    Edit: Found this on Specialized's web site:

    Crossed shifter cables
    Question
    Why are the cables on the downtube of my bike crossed? Shouldn't they be routed parallel?
    Answer
    Cables are usually crossed in front and behind the head tube to provide the straightest line to ensure the cleanest, smoothest shifting possible. This type of routing also helps minimize damage to the paint in the headtube due to constant pressure and abrasion by the cable housing. The second cross under the down tube to puts the cables back in alignment with their respective derailleurs.

    Thanks,
    Specialized
    So are they saying you should cross the cables on the down tube?? How could you install a bottle cage with this routing, and why does the cable rub against the cage bolt? Hmmm.
    Last edited by gcaz; 06-27-2005 at 05:17 PM.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wayneosdias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    839
    yes, supposed to cross.

    get a camelback and forget it.

    your welcome
    wayne
    89 Univega HT -???-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -stolen-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    94 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    97 Klien Mantra -sold-
    01 Specd enduro FSR
    02 Specd enduro FSR -sold-
    04 Specd stumpjumper FSR
    05 Specd enduro FSR Sworks

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    178
    They're crossed for a reason: keep your cables from getting snagged while riding. There's really no reason for a water bottle under the bike regardless of whether they put screws there or not. I agree with the above post, better to get a camelbak.
    Last edited by Fassn8; 06-27-2005 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Typo

  4. #4
    reflexes of a puma
    Reputation: gcaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    57
    I have several camelbaks and no intention of putting a bottle cage there. The fact remains, however, that the cables rub against the bolts.

    How will crossed cables get snagged less?

    Specialized, from my quote above, says it's to keep the cables coming from the shifters from rubbing against the head tube; my old bike has little clear stickers to protect the paint.

    So, forget the bottle cage -- my real question is to the merits of crossing the cables.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Red Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    29

    I'd like to see this...

    Can you post a photo?

  6. #6
    mtbr dismember
    Reputation: Wherewolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,333

    Supposed to be crossed

    I only use the top waterbottle mount on my Stumpjumper. On my Epic the lower waterbottle cages broke quite often from metal fatigue and the bottles popped out quite often on bumpy stuff anyway. I like to carry one waterbottle of Cytomax, in addition to my Camelback.

  7. #7
    reflexes of a puma
    Reputation: gcaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider
    Can you post a photo?
    [At least 5 characters.]
    Attached Images Attached Images

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Red Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    29

    That just looks wrong

    I also have an 05 FSR 120 and my downtube cable routing is parallel. I need to go home and look at my shift cable bosses but it seems pretty weird. All the bikes I've ever owned had parallel routing.

    I think that if Specialized's engineers designed for the cables to cross, I suspect they would have repositioned the cage bolts bolts so they didn't interfere with the cables.

    I guess the bigger question is whether your bike shifts well or not? If it shifts cleanly you might consider leaving it alone.

    Unless you're like me and lose sleep over it...

  9. #9
    reflexes of a puma
    Reputation: gcaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider
    Unless you're like me and lose sleep over it...
    Exactly -- it's going to bug me if it's not right. I see at least a few options:

    • Route the cables parallel
    • Put a liner over the cable
    • Get a lower-profile cage bolt


    Thanks for any insight! Seems like FSR's are being assembled both ways. I'll try sending specialized another email to follow up on their FAQ.
    Last edited by gcaz; 06-28-2005 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Spelling.

  10. #10
    Team Blindspot
    Reputation: S-Works's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,939
    Quote Originally Posted by gcaz
    [At least 5 characters.]
    Why are you running the rear der. cable to the right side of the headtube?

    It would be less of a bend if you went to the left side with the right shifter and right side with the left shifter. And not cross under the downtube.
    Last edited by S-Works; 06-28-2005 at 04:20 PM.
    Astigmatic Visionary

  11. #11
    reflexes of a puma
    Reputation: gcaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by S-Works
    Why are you running the front der. cable to the right side of the headtube?

    It would be less of a bend if you went to the left side with the right shifter and right side with the left shifter. And not cross under the downtube.
    It's a new bike. This is how it was done either at the factory or LBS (whoever put it together). That's why I'm wondering if it's on purpose or a mistake. This is what I quoted in my first post from the FAQ at Specialized's website, but it doesn't seem to make sense as they talk about crossing in front of the head tube, but my cables are not crossed in front of the head tube.

    Crossed shifter cables
    Question
    Why are the cables on the downtube of my bike crossed? Shouldn't they be routed parallel?
    Answer
    Cables are usually crossed in front and behind the head tube to provide the straightest line to ensure the cleanest, smoothest shifting possible. This type of routing also helps minimize damage to the paint in the headtube due to constant pressure and abrasion by the cable housing. The second cross under the down tube to puts the cables back in alignment with their respective derailleurs.

    Thanks,
    Specialized

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Red Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    29

    Apparently not that uncommon

    I did a quick search on google and found a few sites that suggest crossing the cables under the downtube to improve shifting performance.

    "Criss-Cross" Cables
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cables.html

    Now that I think about it, there's a lot of friction when shifting to the big ring on my FD. I wonder if crossing the cables would help.

    Maybe these guys are onto something.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Red Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    29

    Isn't that the same thing?

    Quote Originally Posted by S-Works
    Why are you running the front der. cable to the right side of the headtube?

    It would be less of a bend if you went to the left side with the right shifter and right side with the left shifter. And not cross under the downtube.
    isn't the left shifter the front deraileur?

    and if they didn't cross under the downtube, they'd be in the wrong position for the derailleur.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Red Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    29

    do your cables look like this?

    Quote Originally Posted by gcaz
    my cables are not crossed in front of the head tube.
    The black cables would be standard routing. The blue cables cross over routing.

    Just out of curiousity, your FD is on the left and RD on the right?
    Attached Images Attached Images

  15. #15
    Team Blindspot
    Reputation: S-Works's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,939
    Quote Originally Posted by gcaz
    It's a new bike. This is how it was done either at the factory or LBS (whoever put it together). That's why I'm wondering if it's on purpose or a mistake. This is what I quoted in my first post from the FAQ at Specialized's website, but it doesn't seem to make sense as they talk about crossing in front of the head tube, but my cables are not crossed in front of the head tube.

    My M2 hardtail had the right hand shifter to the left side of the headtube and then crossed under the downtube with the left hand shifter cable to the right side of the headtube.

    My 99 FSR XC was right shifter cable to right side of headtube, and left hand shifter to right side of headtube. The right shifter having a, relatively speaking, more severe bend in it, really rubbed the headtube raw without a little sticker for protection. So it makes more sense to me to cross over the other side of the headtube, and that it really does not make a difference to cross under the downtube of the newer SJ

    My thinking is that this crossin is for older bikes, like my old M2 hardtail not he 04/05 SJ. I've been looking at a lot of them becuase I'm getting an SJ frame replaced under warranty, and wanted to get a handle on the cable routing.
    Astigmatic Visionary

  16. #16
    Team Blindspot
    Reputation: S-Works's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,939
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider
    isn't the left shifter the front deraileur?

    and if they didn't cross under the downtube, they'd be in the wrong position for the derailleur.

    Yes, you are correct. I'm looking at the top of his picture. Under the BB, the right side cable (as you look at the pic) is for the rear der. it's coming from the right side of the headtube ( as you sit on the bike), and vice-verse for the FD. So this person has his right shifter-(for RD) in a tight bend to come down the right side of the headtube. Same for the lefthand side, but opposite.
    Astigmatic Visionary

  17. #17
    reflexes of a puma
    Reputation: gcaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by S-Works
    Yes, you are correct. I'm looking at the top of his picture. Under the BB, the right side cable (as you look at the pic) is for the rear der. it's coming from the right side of the headtube ( as you sit on the bike), and vice-verse for the FD. So this person has his right shifter-(for RD) in a tight bend to come down the right side of the headtube. Same for the lefthand side, but opposite.
    On my bike (from memory -- I'm at the office now) the right shifter cable (rear d.) goes to the right cable guide, then crosses over to the left of the bottom bracket, then is routed back to the right side to reach the rear d.

    The left (front d.) cable goes to the left boss, then crosses on the down tube to the right side of the BB and then straight up to the front der. So my bike doesn't look like your picture, except the right hydro line crosses in front of the head tube then heads down the bottom of the top tube to the rear disk brake.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Red Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    29

    Sounds like your LBS screwed up

    Quote Originally Posted by gcaz
    On my bike (from memory -- I'm at the office now) the right shifter cable (rear d.) goes to the right cable guide, then crosses over to the left of the bottom bracket, then is routed back to the right side to reach the rear d.

    The left (front d.) cable goes to the left boss, then crosses on the down tube to the right side of the BB and then straight up to the front der. So my bike doesn't look like your picture, except the right hydro line crosses in front of the head tube then heads down the bottom of the top tube to the rear disk brake.
    If I'm understanding this right, it sounds like you have the worst of both worlds. Maybe your LBS started to set up your cables as a cross over routing but only did half the job.

    Like S-Works was saying, you could route the cables with less bend and not cross your cables.

    Man. I really need to go home and look at my bike now...

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: druidh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    668
    Just checked mine.

    Left (Front) DR crosses across the head tube and goes down the Right side of the frame - and vice versa. This means that the cables run parallel down the frame and do not cross (until below the BB). No prob with bolts, obviously.

  20. #20
    Team Blindspot
    Reputation: S-Works's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,939
    Quote Originally Posted by druidh
    Just checked mine.

    Left (Front) DR crosses across the head tube and goes down the Right side of the frame - and vice versa. This means that the cables run parallel down the frame and do not cross (until below the BB). No prob with bolts, obviously.
    That's the way I'm going to run mine, if my frame ever gets here from S.
    Astigmatic Visionary

  21. #21
    reflexes of a puma
    Reputation: gcaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider
    If I'm understanding this right, it sounds like you have the worst of both worlds. Maybe your LBS started to set up your cables as a cross over routing but only did half the job.

    Like S-Works was saying, you could route the cables with less bend and not cross your cables.

    Man. I really need to go home and look at my bike now...
    I think you guys are right -- it's not routed correctly. I'm going in for the first tune-up sometime in the next 7 days or so, and I'll have them swap the cables. This makes sense as (1) it reduces the sharp bend needed for the cable to go from the shifter to the cable guide on the same side of the frame, and (2) it will make the cables head parallel on the down tube, thus avoiding the cage bosses. A cross on the DT is not needed as the cables "cross" (or would if they overlapped) after the BB.

    I'll see what the LBS has to say about all this. (I actually need to have them re-do the cables anyway as I flipped the stem and may (instead or also) remove some/all of the steerer tube spacers.

    Let me know what your bike does; I'll be interested to hear from any other FSR owners and how their bikes are set up.
    Last edited by gcaz; 06-28-2005 at 04:25 PM. Reason: cna't splel

  22. #22
    Gravity Rides Everything
    Reputation: endurowanker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,127
    mine don't cross. i assembled it myself, it shifts beautifully.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wayneosdias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    839
    Quote Originally Posted by endurowanker
    mine don't cross. i assembled it myself, it shifts beautifully.
    My enduro and SJ both assembled by LBS, both cross and shift fine.

    wayne
    89 Univega HT -???-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -stolen-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    94 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    97 Klien Mantra -sold-
    01 Specd enduro FSR
    02 Specd enduro FSR -sold-
    04 Specd stumpjumper FSR
    05 Specd enduro FSR Sworks

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Red Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    29

    Well I'll be damned...

    Quote Originally Posted by gcaz
    Let me know what your bike does; I'll be interested to hear from any other FSR owners and how their bikes are set up.
    Mine do cross over in front of the head tube.

    I guess you gotta hand it to those Specialized guys. They must have put some thought into their bikes when they were designing them.

    Someone at your LBS sure gapped though. I wonder what the hell they were thinking?
    Attached Images Attached Images

  25. #25
    Gravity Rides Everything
    Reputation: endurowanker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,127
    Quote Originally Posted by wayneosdias
    My enduro and SJ both assembled by LBS, both cross and shift fine.

    wayne

    hmm..

    well here's how mine is routed

    right shifter to left frame cable mount and vice versa, so basicaly they cross in front of the head tube. then they run parralel down the down tube and the left side cable is routed back to the rear shifter and the right side one goes up to the front derailler.

    the only reason I can think that crossing the cables would improve shifting is if it allows you to cross the cables in front of the head tube resulting in a larger, smoother housing loop at this point. as far as I can tel the specialized design negated the need for a downtube crossing due to the routing under the bottom bracket.

    does any of that make sense?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Time trial results: SJ FSR vs SJ HT
    By farmertan in forum Specialized
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-17-2005, 05:31 AM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-14-2005, 11:07 PM
  3. FSR Rider Considering an Epic - Thoughts?
    By FPC in forum Specialized
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-07-2004, 07:41 AM
  4. '99 FSR or '02 Rockhopper FSR?
    By Brooks04 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-02-2004, 06:08 AM
  5. '99 FSR or '02 Rockhopper FSR
    By Brooks04 in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-31-2004, 09:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •