otbmbc.com
    Dec 2004

05 SJ Expert 120 Seat Binder

After only a couple of rides on the Expert 120, the paint around the colar of the seat tube just under the quick release binder is starting to chip. Is this normal? The aluminum material at the tube looks pretty thin also. I don't know, the thin-nes of it just makes me worried.

Also, the binder is collecting dirt and sand on just about every ride. When I get home from a ride the first thing I do is clean the binder.

The openning at the bottom of the seat tube sucks because dirt gets in underneath. When I lower the seat for a descent I can hear all the little sand bits scraping around in there. It doesn't seem safe to have all that sand and dirt in the tube when riding.

Anyone else have these problems? Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    The 2006 Specialized catalogue mentions a "Forward Seat Clamp" on the Rockhopper - says that it "prevents flicked and dirt and water off the back wheel compromising smooth seatpost adjustment". Arguably, this is Spesh admitting a design flaw in the use of rear-facing seatclamps? Have other '06 models had the same alteration?