Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Binghamton '14
    Nov 2009

05 Rockhopper upgrade help?

I recently got an 05 Rockhopper (someone threw it out at the scrapyard my dad works at), and i am looking to upgrade to disc brakes. I would like to do this as cheap as possible with used parts, but im new to biking and not to good with whats what in the industry. Any help doing this would be helpful.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnsD90
    I recently got an 05 Rockhopper (someone threw it out at the scrapyard my dad works at), and i am looking to upgrade to disc brakes. I would like to do this as cheap as possible with used parts, but im new to biking and not to good with whats what in the industry. Any help doing this would be helpful.
    Congratulations on your new bike! Here's my two cents.

Unless the brakes that are currently on the Rockhopper are busted/beyond repair. I would suggest keeping them.

Don't fall into the hype of disc brakes. Discs are better than rim brakes in a few situations (first and foremost mud, but also if you're hitting your rim a lot), but a set of well adjusted rim brakes will function fine and work fine for someone just getting into biking. Super cheap disc brakes won't be any better than decent rims and BB7s,arguably the standard mechanical disc brakes, go for about $50 per caliper.

If the brakes aren't working right, take it to your local bike shop and have them do a few adjustments (probably just be cable tension), or better yet do it yourself; there are a lot of online guides to bike maintenance; sheldon brown, park tools, or utahmtbers, just to name a few.

For now save your money, enjoy your new bike and if you like biking enough you can get a better equipped bike.

Binghamton '14
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Renovatio
    Congratulations on your new bike! Here's my two cents.

Unless the brakes that are currently on the Rockhopper are busted/beyond repair. I would suggest keeping them.

Don't fall into the hype of disc brakes. Discs are better than rim brakes in a few situations (first and foremost mud, but also if you're hitting your rim a lot), but a set of well adjusted rim brakes will function fine and work fine for someone just getting into biking. Super cheap disc brakes won't be any better than decent rims and BB7s,arguably the standard mechanical disc brakes, go for about $50 per caliper.

If the brakes aren't working right, take it to your local bike shop and have them do a few adjustments (probably just be cable tension), or better yet do it yourself; there are a lot of online guides to bike maintenance; sheldon brown, park tools, or utahmtbers, just to name a few.

For now save your money, enjoy your new bike and if you like biking enough you can get a better equipped bike.
    i hear you out, but im not looking to buy a different bike, and i am taking this bike to college next year cause you cant have a car freshman year, and i like to upgrade what i have. I replaced the pads in the rear and i had to replace the front brakes (whole setup) and there good but i'd rather have disc's. Its no different than in my car i would rather have the disc's than drums, they both will stop you but the discs are better.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Alright then you'll get my brake opinion then...Well you can't get much better than Avid BB7s when it comes to mechanical disc brakes. Cheapest I've seen them new. About $80 a set, what a bargain.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/187...p=115%20AVDB78

Then there is Hydraulic disc brakes, which will probably be overkill. Regardless, I don't think you can get much more of a bang for you buck than these Strokers for $140 front and rear. Really stellar price.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...kaging+09.aspx

Binghamton '14
    Nov 2009
    Alright then you'll get my brake opinion then...Well you can't get much better than Avid BB7s when it comes to mechanical disc brakes. Cheapest I've seen them new. About $80 a set, what a bargain.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/187...p=115%20AVDB78
    thanks, was that bargain comment sarcastic? How much for the disc ready wheels, or are the stock wheels disc ready?

2010 RockHopper Comp Disc
    Aug 2009
    I'll sell you my BB5's which are relatively new(only 15 or so rides, nothing major) for $40, send me a pm if you are interested. If you want the cheapest way this is likely it. I can negotiate also.
    Last edited by BeaverTail; 11-14-2009 at 11:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    thanks, was that bargain comment sarcastic? How much for the disc ready wheels, or are the stock wheels disc ready?
    No sarcasm, sorry if it came off that way, as I've seen them around $55 per wheel. Pretty much a 20% savings there.

I'm not sure about your wheels being disc ready, but that is not the only part. Your frame and fork have to be able to accept disc brakes too.

A fork that accepts disc brakes will look like one of these

A frame that accepts disc brakes will most likely look like this

A hub that accepts disc brake rotors will look like (excluding centerlock rotors)

Wheels can be found relatively cheap on ebay, and they should specifiy whether they are disc or not. Bicyclewheelwarehouse.com also has some notoriously low prices on wheelsets.

What about rotors, bolts, and adapters beavertail?

Binghamton '14
    Nov 2009
    No sarcasm, sorry if it came off that way, as I've seen them around $55 per wheel. Pretty much a 20% savings there.

I'm not sure about your wheels being disc ready, but that is not the only part. Your frame and fork have to be able to accept disc brakes too.

A fork that accepts disc brakes will look like one of these

A frame that accepts disc brakes will most likely look like this

A hub that accepts disc brake rotors will look like (excluding centerlock rotors)

Wheels can be found relatively cheap on ebay, and they should specifiy whether they are disc or not. Bicyclewheelwarehouse.com also has some notoriously low prices on wheelsets.

thanks

Aug 2009
    I have

-all CPS bolts and washers
    -2 160mm rotors and their bolts
    -one adapter as my front fork is post mount.
    -2 BB5 calipers
    -Semi new pads.

Binghamton '14
    Nov 2009
    Here is a pic of the bike, w/out the discs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 05 Rockhopper upgrade help?-bke.jpg  

cougarbait
    looks like you'll just need two bb7 kits and a new set of wheels (or hub swap, but that is not at all cost effective)
    I strongly recommend you invest in a set of speed dial7 levers for $17 and a jagwire ripcord kit for $20

that saddle is enormous
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

Binghamton '14
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambdamaster
    looks like you'll just need two bb7 kits and a new set of wheels (or hub swap, but that is not at all cost effective)
    I strongly recommend you invest in a set of speed dial7 levers for $17 and a jagwire ripcord kit for $20

that saddle is enormous
    well that saddle is nice and comfy. that other extra crap will come in time, right now i need to find a set of wheels that are cheap and disc ready, i just bought a full set of BB5's for $40, so im set on the discs.

cougarbait
    BB5 are a pain...bb7 are def worth the extra $40. there is a reason that guy was selling them. good luck with the infinite adjustments..
    you can consider these cosmetic blems
    http://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com...&productId=209
    or one of these
    http://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com...ewCat&catId=16
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

Aug 2009
    I dont think the BB5's are a pain, JohnsD wanted to get his bike up and working in a cheap fashion all while having quality parts. The BB5's are still a quality part, and while yes it is less adjustable than the BB7's,I must ask if they worth double the price to a HS student on a budget.

I think my BB5's are drastically better than any V brake ive ever used, they have more stopping power and way more modulation. Its all to common on this site for upgrades to be pushed when not needed, Not everybody needs the best brake possible or the best part.

cougarbait
    Quote Originally Posted by BeaverTail
    I dont think the BB5's are a pain, JohnsD wanted to get his bike up and working in a cheap fashion all while having quality parts. The BB5's are still a quality part, and while yes it is less adjustable than the BB7's,I must ask if they worth double the price to a HS student on a budget.

I think my BB5's are drastically better than any V brake ive ever used, they have more stopping power and way more modulation. Its all to common on this site for upgrades to be pushed when not needed, Not everybody needs the best brake possible or the best part.
    that's $40 more for brand new items, including pads and rotors with zero wear, not just the additional power, modulation, adjustment, and pad availability. the best would most certainly be hydraulic. Anyways, my point is that bb7 would get him the most utility for his money, keeping his needs in mind. I'm a college student with bb5's on my rigid singlespeed I ride around town and campus. They are much worse than the bb7's I had on my rockhopper. (the only reason why I have bb5's in the first place is that they came on my rockhopper and I don't care to upgrade the beater)
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

Aug 2009
    some like myself would consider pad and rotor wear to be a good thing. Sometimes $40 is alot of money or out of reach, I know when I was a college or HS student that was 5-7 hours of work. After paying for my bus pass and food, I had little money left over. So you have two rockhoppers? Or one that used to have BB7's but now has BB5's.

Binghamton '14
    Nov 2009
    some like myself would consider pad and rotor wear to be a good thing. Sometimes $40 is alot of money or out of reach, I know when I was a college or HS student that was 5-7 hours of work. After paying for my bus pass and food, I had little money left over. So you have two rockhoppers? Or one that used to have BB7's but now has BB5's.
    i paid for my car (97 4runner 5speed $2500) in full, and pay for gas. Now on a HS student income and after gas and other expenses it really doesnt leave much money for car and bike mods. And to whomever was saying that because the pads arent new they wont stop me as well, of course that gonna happen and when they are bad ill put a new set of pads on it will stop it nicely.

And me nor my father have ever used disc brakes and quite frankly $40 is what i would have paid for front and rear V brake assemblies so i got a nice upgrade. I know the BB7's are better but i can invest that $40-$60 into something else like wheels or a new chainsaw bar for my father for christmas.

cougarbait
    although I understand your point on the money thing, I don't see how worn pads and discs would be a good thing, unless you are reluctant to spend 10 minutes to bed them in. my rockhopper came with bb5, and i replaced them with bb7 because frankly, I did not like them at all. I am now running juicy7, the bb7 set is now on my sister's bike.
    the bb5, which are now on my rigid, don't perform a whole lot better than the rim brakes on my road bike.
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    although I understand your point on the money thing, I don't see how worn pads and discs would be a good thing, unless you are reluctant to spend 10 minutes to bed them in. my rockhopper came with bb5, and i replaced them with bb7 because frankly, I did not like them at all. I am now running juicy7, the bb7 set is now on my sister's bike.
    the bb5, which are now on my rigid, don't perform a whole lot better than the rim brakes on my road bike.
    Let the thread die Lambda. Its kind of obvious that he's really not in it for peak performance. I think the limiting reagent on this bike isn't the brakes, so I doubt he'll run out of BB5s.

Religion = Non-thinking
    just get one of the BWW closeout wheelsets with 6 bolt discs + the cheapest Avid Mechanical discs u can find (which will be BB5's) I've had good experiences with them and they stop find for anything thats XC. There was minor adjustments and brake rub but that was intermittent and will happen on the BB7's also.

bb7's are high end on a bike like yours...
    RH SL Pro

Binghamton '14
    Nov 2009
    Let the thread die Lambda. Its kind of obvious that he's really not in it for peak performance. I think the limiting reagent on this bike isn't the brakes, so I doubt he'll run out of BB5s.
    what is the limiting reagent? i dont get what you mean.

Binghamton '14
    Nov 2009
    if being used 15 times is worn out, than there is something wrong.
    Last edited by JohnsD90; 11-19-2009 at 12:58 PM.

Aug 2009
    what is the limiting reagent? i dont get what you mean.
    A limiting reagent in chemistry is the chemical that halts the reaction because it is ran out. He was saying that the reaction was you using the bike and the BB5's brakes are not what is going to stop you from riding.

Binghamton '14
    Nov 2009
    A limiting reagent in chemistry is the chemical that halts the reaction because it is ran out. He was saying that the reaction was you using the bike and the BB5's brakes are not what is going to stop you from riding.
    oh, thanks, well i pm'd you saying the brakes were in and how i appreciate all that went into helping me do the install, it will be a few weeks before they go on because i have to get the wheels.

Religion = Non-thinking
    what wheels did u get and for how much?
    RH SL Pro

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast