mtbr member
    Oct 2005

'05 RockHopper demo for $350?

Hey all,

I'm looking for my first 'real' bike and found this clearance deal at a LBS. Its an '05 rockhopper and theyre asking $350 for it. it was a demo bike. think thats a pretty fair deal? should i try to negotiate further down? any tips/advice for me and this deal? I was looking for a bike under $400 so this would be great at this price. i'm also 6'4 225 and i heard the RH frame is tougher than the hardrock which i was originally looking at. they also have a size 19 and 21" in stock so i can see which i prefer.

thanks!

Nightriding rules SuperModerator

Good deal!

Quote Originally Posted by HuffyMan
    Hey all,

I'm looking for my first 'real' bike and found this clearance deal at a LBS. Its an '05 rockhopper and theyre asking $350 for it. it was a demo bike. think thats a pretty fair deal? should i try to negotiate further down? any tips/advice for me and this deal? I was looking for a bike under $400 so this would be great at this price. i'm also 6'4 225 and i heard the RH frame is tougher than the hardrock which i was originally looking at. they also have a size 19 and 21" in stock so i can see which i prefer.

thanks!
    That sounds sweet, just make sure you get the right size (sounds like the 21 to me).

Good luck,
    Cris

HammerHead
    If you put 700 miles next year on it then its worth it. But sounds like a good deal. 06 RH basic MSRP is $520
    $Bike Cost = 1/2 anual mileage i.e if you are riding 1000 miles a year get a $500 bike (advice from BIKE magazine). Looks like 21" is the right size for you
    2012 Cannondale Flash Carbon 3 29er
    2013 Tarmac Sport
    2009 Langster Moscow
    "What is wrong?"
    "You need a new bike"

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Hey guys, thanks.

Yeh its awesome! i was amazed when i took it for teh test ride at how nimble it felt and how well it shifted compared to that old POS. I did get the 21", i tried both 19 and 21" and the guy felt the 21" was right. standing over the top bar i have aobut 1.25-1.5' of clearance.

i took it for our first ride together yesterday and crashed and busted my ass twice. perfect! bike didnt hiccup in the least. i'm really happy w/ it. i also road to the grocery store and it again was easier than the old huffy on the streets.

they were stil selling the new '05 RHs for $500 and the '06s for $520. so this was a deal for $350 i think. the guy also said since it was a 21" it didnt get used nearly as much as the other demos.

i did manage to put a wobble in my rear wheel when i tighted up a few really loose spokes.. :/ so i'll bring it by the shop today to see if theyll take care of that for me.