mtbr member
    Sep 2005

05 Hardrock Comp Disc or 05 Rockhopper or 06 Rockhopper

I have pretty much narrowed it down to the Specialized bikes. My budget is around $500 for a bike. After going in and looking at them here is where I am at:

05 Hardrock Comp Disc (Red/Black) for $550
    05 Rockhopper (Blue) for $500
    06 Rockhopper (Black/would have to order) for $520

I will not be replacing any parts anytime soon. I plan to use this bike to commute at first, then see how involved I want to get.

My usage will be transportation on streets/bike trails with very light off-road. I'm hoping once I get into this, I will venture out to more off-road, but I have to see how well my lazy ass progresses.

I would like a no BS comparison between those three. Everything I have read so far say's the Rockhopper is a better choice, especially the frame. The Hardrock is the bottom of the line, but does stepping up to the comp bring the components above the base Rockhopper?

Everything I have read also say's to stay away from discs unless you are spending $1000 or more on a bike. Basically that the disc brakes on $500 bikes are junk.

Lastly, it looks to me that Specialized did a dramatic change of components from the 05-06 Rockhopper. I noticed the 06 uses Rock Shox forks, SRAM derailers and shift levers. Are these better or worse than 05 Manitou Axle Comp forks, Shimano Alivio/Deore derailers and Shimano Alivio shift levers.

Thanks for any help to this newb. I would like to get the wheels rolling (pun intended) this weekend if possible.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Amazing

It's amazing that 45 people are viewing the specialized thread right now, but everyone's too busy to help a brother out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

06 Rockhopper!

I had an '03 hardrock comp, which was an excellent first MTB, particularly the frame. Having said that, I would automatically rule out the 05 Hardrock Comp Disc because it has the same drivetrain setup as mine did, Shimano Alivio/Acera. These are crap components that don't shift gears well at all, especially the front derailleur under load. As for discs vs rim-brakes, my 03 also had Tektro rim brakes, and trust me, for your application they will be more than adequate in terms of stopping power.

So that leaves us with the 05 and 06 Rockhoppers. The 05 still has a Shimano Alivio front derailleur, while the 06 has all SRAM. I don't have any experience with SRAM components, but again, I do know the Alivio stuff is crap. As for the forks, having a lock-out feature on the rockShox of the 06 model is HUGE. One last thing, the 06 looks tough in that black ano finish, which won't chip like a painted finish.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks for your input Bulldozer. Your right in the fact that the 06 Black looks Bad-Ass! I wish I could find more out about the SRAM components, but I think I am going to just go with the 06 Rockhopper. I do like the Black better than the other colors of the 05-06.

Any other advice is greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    05 Hardrock Comp Disc (Red/Black) for $550
    05 Rockhopper (Blue) for $500
    06 Rockhopper (Black/would have to order) for $520
    Well if the 06 is only $20 more than 05, go for that
    Here in Uk I got an 04 for £100 less than the 05
    worth taking the 'older' one for that reduction.

Personally the basic Rockhopper is better than the top Hardrock - frame etc etc

If you can step up to the Rockhopper Disc - that's worth it
    haven't got the 06 spec here in uk but Discs were Hydrolic on 05
    Steve

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Those SRAM components can't be any worse than Shimano Deore/Alivio, and are most likely better. And the fork alone on the 06, specifically because it has a lockout, is worth way more than the $20 difference in price between the 05 and 06. If you're gonna use it for commuting on pavement, the lockout is pretty much mandatory. So go ahead and order it already!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldozer27
    Those SRAM components can't be any worse than Shimano Deore/Alivio, and are most likely better. And the fork alone on the 06, specifically because it has a lockout, is worth way more than the $20 difference in price between the 05 and 06. If you're gonna use it for commuting on pavement, the lockout is pretty much mandatory. So go ahead and order it already!
    That's the first I have heard about why the Lockout is good. That makes sense, I guess the less movement (front shock) the more energy to the tires. With the lockout, I guess it makes it more like a street bike?!

I am going to order it today. Any chance I can get them work me a deal on the price? I have heard that a water bottle/cage is pretty standard. Any average price/value of the extra's I can get them to throw in? Or should I be trying to get them to upgrade something for free?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Got it!

I just went to order my 06 Rockhopper in Black, and they just got one in. So, I got to pick it up and bring it home. Haven't had a chance to really ride it yet, but it is sweet.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by hotwls13
    I just went to order my 06 Rockhopper in Black, and they just got one in. So, I got to pick it up and bring it home. Haven't had a chance to really ride it yet, but it is sweet.
    have you weighed it? im curious how much that bike weights..

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    It's amazing that 45 people are viewing the specialized thread right now, but everyone's too busy to help a brother out.
    I'll try...

I had a 2003 Rockhopper, kitted out with Avid V brakes and a Manitou Axel fork, which was bought for 600 pounds (that's Pounds Sterling, not lbs!). My mate bought a Hardrock Sport at the same time as a biatch bike when he didn't want to get his Enduro dirty so we could compare like for like.

The Axel fork on the 'hopper was a whole order of magnitude better than the awful RST Gila on the Hardrock, plus the 'hopper came with disc-ready hubs etc. Within two months I'd upgraded to Hope Mini discs and ended up with a very nice bike indeed for around 820 pounds total spend.

The Hardrock really is indestructable, you can seemingly repair anything on the bike with a two pound hammer and some gaffer tape. It feels very overbuilt for trail/commuting but has a great frame - with the right fork choice the Hardrock would be a very, very good bike indeed.

Over here you can get a Hardrock XC with a slimmed down frame and rigid forks which would be a much more sensible place to start for a commuter bike. They're priced in the UK at 200 pounds with an RST Gila equipped model for about 40 or 50 pounds extra.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Antiloop
    have you weighed it? im curious how much that bike weights..
    Yes I did weigh it. It came in at ........30 lbs. My walmart mongoose comes in at 39 lbs. I don't know if it matters but my 06 Rockhopper is a 15". I think a large 21" would weigh more, but I could be wrong.

Also, i used a home scale, weighed myself 183.5 and then with the bike 213.5. So, I guess it is accurate to within 1/2 lb.

Hopefully with the amount of riding I plan to do, the 183.5 will be much less.

...the wave won't brek
    Good Choice!

You won't be sorry.

The SRAM drive train will be excellent especially for your needs.

I dumped Shimano Deore and LX on my 03 Rock Hopper FSR-XC for SRAM X9 Rear Derailer and Shifter and have never looked back.

Front Der is next on the chopping block...

It has been my exsperiance that the SRAM components require much LESS adjustment then the Shimano parts.

Enjoy your new bike

A
    2008 Santa Cruz Superlight SPX-XC Kit

2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR-XC Comp

2006 Specialized Allez Sport Double

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Good job! update on your ride my Brother

hey hotwls13...
    hoping you can give us an update.
    ok, hope you can give ME an update!!!
    i think i am close to getting Rockhopper.
    i would like a more killer bike, but truth is the hardrock or the Rockhopper is all i probly need!
    i can get a Rockhopper for$416 .an 06 on closeout.
    i wish it had a disc , but dig that it has lockout!

so, how bout an update.
    tell a brother where you have ridden. do ya wish it had disc's?
    how well does it stop?
    how bad have you beaten it up?
    etc,etc,etc,etc, you get the picture!!!!

thanks for any info!!!!!!!
    not to hijack the thread...but anyone else want to talk about thier Rockhopper's

thank's all.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    so, how bout an update.
    tell a brother where you have ridden. do ya wish it had disc's?
    ---Well, since I bought my bike I have taken it out maybe 10 times. I can come up with a ton of excuses (working 2 jobs, weather, etc, etc) but basically I just haven't taken the time. I have only taken it on paved trails and a little dirt trail. I personally think you will be fine without discs unless you have a lot of $$ to spend. All the bikes with discs out there
    in the same price range as the Rockhopper are going to be lower quality.

BTW, that's a great price on a new 06 Rockhopper. I paid over $100 more last year. What color are you getting?

how well does it stop?
    ----Just fine

how bad have you beaten it up?
    ----Haha, not at all, looks brand new (oh yeah, it pretty much is)

Just an update though, we are currently looking to relocate to Boise. Voted #1 Mountain Bike city in the U.S.! We plan to buy a house close to the trail system, so I will be able to commute on bike as well as enjoy all the riding they have. I expect to put alot of miles on my RH!

Bakersfield is just not a Bike friendly town, unless you are right next to the bike trail that goes through town. Plus in the summer it's too hot April-September.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    hey hotwls 13....
    i know what ya mean about time!
    havnt had time to get down to the dealer again.
    plus looked at a couple of other bikes. gary fisher and iron horse, but keep thinkin i like the rockhoppers looks better. i think the gary fisher is a better bike in terms of components, but a $100's more.
    but i love that flat frame on the rockhopper!! and in flat black it looks nasty!

btw.. thinking of getting black.
    the dealer is 40 mls away, that has the 06 in black.
    dealer near my house has an 07 in red for $480. but the 07 frame looks a tad different, and i dont like the red. also hear that the compnents arent as good as the sram on the 06.
    the frame on the 06 looks better some how to me!
    and no.. i dont think i need disc, but dang they look good.
    maybe this weekend , if the wife and kids wanna go for a drive , i might get to drive down to the shop for a test ride!

hey thanks for the reply!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Bellsguns:

I like the flat black alot. I don't like the flashy colors, and the flat black is easy to maintain.

Good luck, and let us know if you get to do the test drive.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    will do!!

thanks