Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

05 FSR XC Comp Build

5K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  JohnsD90 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, so its not a build thread it more of, I built it in stages on what i could afford and what parts i had on hand.

It's a Long story, feel free to skip to the Pics....

The story is my dad brought home in Oct 09 a 2005 Rockhopper Base model from the scrapyard he works at, it had a large dent in the frame, but it was only cosmetic, and like the car i owned, i quickly wanted to modify it, so i bought some Avid BB5's, a new wheelset, and now i had a Bike with disc brakes, So my grips ripped and i put a Wanted thread up and a fellow member donated a sweet set of ODI Lock on's too me. Then my father bought an 08 FSR XC Comp, and it was awesome to ride, everything about it i loved, it was far better than the rockhopper in almost every way. So i went on the hunt for a Cheap Full suspension bike by specialized, and after a month of searching i found an 05 FSR XC Comp with the frame, Crankset, Fork, and rear shock for $250, so i immediatley jumped on it. Being a HS/College Kid, i cant afford to have both bikes, so i Vultured the parts i could use from the Rockhopper and sold the rest of it to a good friend. I had a bit of a wierd setup with a 9 speed chain, 9 speed cassete, Broken rear derailer, and 8 speed shifters, Whenever i rode my new improvised FSR XC, it was like driving a car with a blown transmission, Not a lot of good gears and never the right on worked. So Last week i Bought some Juicy 3's with 9 speed shifters and rear dereailer for $75 shipped, and now i have a good working bike, with almost everything Installed by me.

The Specs:
-05 FSR XC Comp Frame, Fork, Shock and Crankset
-Handlebars from Rockhopper
-Cassette is unknown
-Sram 9 Speed Chain
-Shimano Deore Rear Derailer
-Shimano Alvio Front Derailer
-Avid Juicy 3 with 160mm rotors
-Shimano Deore 9 speed Shifters
-Serfas "Fat Ass Seat"
-Mavic 117 wheels
-And some other stuff i forgot/dont know

Heres some pics of the Build:

The Rockhopper

Then Later i got the FSR XC Comp like this:

Transfered Some Components

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
Thanks guys, The Bike is at the shop today getting a tune up and bled brakes, But in the meantime I decided to build a Bike stand so i Could work on it without spending $100+ for a stand. (the bike in the stand is my fathers 08 FSR XC Comp)

It took 2 2x4's and a Footing boarding i had lying around. Its a little hard to put the bike on it as you have to take the seat off, and put the seatpost throught this 1 1/4 Inch hole i drilled and then lifted the bike up to that, but it makes it very secure without being complex.

If anyone wants dimensions i wrote them down, so just ask. I know there are probably alot of you that have already down this, but here it is anyway.

#6 ·
This is the last update till i break something, I'm at college now so the bike is set up how i want and need it to be.

Here's the updates:
-Painted Brake capilaers and levers black instead of gold.
-Installed undersaddle bag, filled with a spare tube and tools to change a tire and work on the bike.
-And also put some Oddessey BMX pedals on there now, so much better too pedal, best $20 spent on the bike so far.

Pics:

#8 ·
Update, I decided to finally fix the drivetrain of the bike, and bought a 9 speed low end Deore Cassette, I also decided to upgrade the Stem and Handlebars to a wider and more updated style. So i bought a Gravity Light handlebar from a racer buddy for $30, and a Truvativ Stylo Race stem (i think 60mm) for $20, so now i have nice wide handlebars, i am pumped to hit the trails this saturday, Also through a michelin tire on the rear.

Pics:

#9 ·
So i hit up Diablo before it closed last year, nearly killed my fork, but he's been to hell and back at this point and still kickin, clutch went in my truck so i couldnt buy a new fork :/ , i got some sweet new tires for christmas, i also wrapped my rear triangle with blown tubes to protect them from the chain and debri's:

Photobucket

Photobucket

And At Diablo Freeride Park:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.