mtbr member
    Mar 2006

05' FSR Pro with Fox Float Septune?

hey all, just bought an 05' FSR Pro 120 with the Fox Float Septune in the rear, in the mtbr reviews everyone is complaining about the 7 different positions of the shock. couple of questions, i'm a big rider, 6'5" 250.. and from what i've read this bike can handle big riders.. my questions are: is there any big riders out there that have reccomendations of how i should set that shock up for aggresive xc? also the manitou minute one wasn't my first choice for fork, but i did get the bike for $1999.00..- so i couldn't swap for fox because i snagged an 05' on the cheap- so same question, any big riders out there that have this fork...imparticularly on this bike, that have reco's for setup?

thanks

~gh

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    gh,

I have the 05 Expert 120 with the Septune shock and the Talas RL up front. I am 6'3 (6'7 with the afro) and tip the scales at 240. Honestly, I have not noticed much diff in the 7 settings on the Septune. I keep it between 4-7 mostly. The detents are sloppy and feel cheap to me, but on your first few times out play with settings while you climb and descend and see what you think.. I would recommend getting a shock pump if you don't have one and pumping it up approx 20 psi above your weight and then ride . Check the stationary sag on the shock with the o-ring (you should have about 1/4 total sag) and also check the total compression of the shock after you ride more aggressively and make any adjustments with the shock pressure. I have mine set about 260 psi and have not bottomed out and get a nice ride.
    I love this bike. I came from a Rocky Mt Element Race and the SJ gives a much more stable and confident ride for obvious reasons. The suspension, brakes, and geometry really let this bike fly.
    As for the fork, I have the Talas and I do use the compression adjustments during climbs to get a forward lean. I really like this feature.
    You'll love the bike. Have fun.
    dk

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    thanks for the reply,

i would love that fork on that bike, like i said previously i practically stole this bike for $2k so i'll suck it up and ride the minute 1 for the summer.. maybe e-bay it half way through when i can afford to put the fork on that i want.. anyone run a marzocchi on their's? i'm thinking a marathon xc possibly? i hear nightmares about fox's customer service, and the only way i'll get a LBS service on it is if i pay that hefty price tag that they're asking, when you can get an 05' online for half of that.. so marzocchi's customer service, quality and durability is appealing to me. thanks for the advice all!

~gh

...soon to be sith lord..
    One review from a friend who had dealings with Fox.
    http://www.ntmba.org/messageboard/to...?TOPIC_ID=1405
    There is a fine line between control and catastrophe
    Northeast Tennessee Mountain Bike Association

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Body weight plus 20 is a good starting point for the septune. Why no love for the Manitou fork? It has a lot of adjustability and rides really nice. At your weight I would guess 70 -80 lbs in the fork as a starting point. Check your sag and use a zip tie on the fork leg to check total travel. Adjust accordingly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    can someone explain the spv to me on the manitou minute one? i'm really not familiar with manitou products.. i'm a marzoke man.. HELPP!! haha.. thanks all

~gh

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    From what I've gathered (limited I'll admit, since I have not riden the Marathon fork) both the Fox and the Manitou seem to be prefered over the Marzocchiis on this type of bike. I'm basing this on magazine reviews not personal experience so take it for what you want but I tend to believe that the mag writers have WAY more experience on different equipment than us average riders do. Your Minute 1 fork is only different from the higher end Minute forks by having a coil spring as compared to the lighter Minute 2 with an air spring and the 3 adds travel adjustment. Being as heavy as you are I would think that any weight savings by going to an air sprung fork from any manufacturer might be a silly way to spend money. From what I've read the Fox and Manitou forks have superior damping to the Marzocchis in this class, so if I were you I wouldn't be in a hurry to replace what isn't broken. Make sure your fork has the correct spring for your weight (Minute 1s are coil and can be easly changed) and ride!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    damn...you got that bike for 2k? wish i had an LBS like that

mtbr member
    I just got an 05 FSR exper 120 frame for a steal and am looking at getting a good shock for it, I was looking at the manitou minute 2 or 3, ( il like the adjustability factor)

I have also been looking at the Fox vanilla and the rlc from 04, as I am trying to just get a good ride, I dont race or anything just want something to match nicely, I am 5' 11" about 210 lbs.

Any ideas what is best for this frame build with linited cash $2-300 for fork

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mfsot
    can someone explain the spv to me on the manitou minute one? i'm really not familiar with manitou products.. i'm a marzoke man.. HELPP!! haha.. thanks all

~gh
    Some tips for setting up the SPV (I have a Minute 2 on my 05 S-works 120): Start with the SPV at around 60# and see how it feels on trails with chatter bumps (a series of roots or small ruts). If it doesn't soak up the small stuff well, let some pressure out.

Also check how much it bobs; just don't expect it to be bob free when standing, SPV won't cancel that out unless you really put a lot of pressure in there. Find a pressure setting eats up the small stuff but doesn't bounce up and down while sitting down. I'm running about 50# and weigh around 210-215 with gear on.

When changing the pressure, do it in small increments, 5# at time. Small changes can drastically change how it feels.

The SPV also affects how the fork bottoms out, less pressure will have a more linear feel.

You could also just run with the minimum pressure in the SPV so side, 30#, if you're not concerned about bobbing. That will give you the plushest ride.

punga!