mtbr member
    Feb 2005

05 Enduro - Stock stem length?

Anybody know the length of the stem that comes stock on the 05 Enduro?

I'm trying to decide between L and XL and I want to get the geometry right. The Large fits great, but the XL will also work and it opens up some availabilty options for me.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Techfreak
    Anybody know the length of the stem that comes stock on the 05 Enduro?

I'm trying to decide between L and XL and I want to get the geometry right. The Large fits great, but the XL will also work and it opens up some availabilty options for me.

Thanks!
    The L comes stock with 90mm, and the XL comes stock with 105mm. I believe both are 8 degree rises. You can find some of this stuff on the S-works specs at Specialized.com, but its not in the specs on the non-S-works for some reason.
    Phat ride - good luck!

-kcavt

Who are the brain police?
    I think there's a range of stock depending on the type of Enduro. My sxt has a syncros bearhug of 50mm I think. I'm not home to actually measure it, but its very short..
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    That is all excellent news. The Large fits really well (I ride fairly aggrro and like a shorter feeling cockpit), but it sounds like I could throw a 50mm stem on an XL and get just about the same feel.

Hey Locoman, are you going to the Harpoom Adventure Series in Wendell at the end of the month? (July 24) You should. There is some really great riding out here.

mtbr member
    That is all excellent news. The Large fits really well (I ride fairly aggrro and like a shorter feeling cockpit), but it sounds like I could throw a 50mm stem on an XL and get just about the same feel.

Hey Locoman, are you going to the Harpoom Adventure Series in Wendell at the end of the month? (July 24) You should. There is some really great riding out here.

Locoman is right that the SX verions of the Enduros would be coming with a different stem than I had mentioned.
    As for the XL, note that there's an extra big top-tube jump between L and XL. XL jumps all the way to 25.8" effective TT, up from 24.5" on a L. For comparision, the M is a 23.5" TT. I would think to be on an XL you would want to be at least 6' 3" or so...probably even 6' 4" (not a professional opinion, but spoken just from riding each one for just 20 min). I'm 6' 1.5" with a 34.5" inseam and was good on a L, but was comfortable on a XL too (with a shorter stem).

-kcavt

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kcavtca
    Locoman is right that the SX verions of the Enduros would be coming with a different stem than I had mentioned.
    As for the XL, note that there's an extra big top-tube jump between L and XL. XL jumps all the way to 25.8" effective TT, up from 24.5" on a L. For comparision, the M is a 23.5" TT. I would think to be on an XL you would want to be at least 6' 3" or so...probably even 6' 4" (not a professional opinion, but spoken just from riding each one for just 20 min). I'm 6' 1.5" with a 34.5" inseam and was good on a L, but was comfortable on a XL too (with a shorter stem).

-kcavt

Yep. I'm 6'4" with a 6'8" wingspan. 35"-36" inseam. I've been having a hard time finding a bike that fits me right, unitl the 05 Enduro (Expert), that is. If the L runs a 90mm stem, then a 50mm on an xl would be about right.

mtbr member
    Yep. I'm 6'4" with a 6'8" wingspan. 35"-36" inseam. I've been having a hard time finding a bike that fits me right, unitl the 05 Enduro (Expert), that is. If the L runs a 90mm stem, then a 50mm on an xl would be about right.
    At your size can be a bit more of a pain, and Speshy is definitely fitting the bill with that XL enduro. I guess some people your size do ride L's, but I myself need that stretched feel.

You could also look at Turner 6-Packs since they make an XL with 25.2 effective TT. The frame isn't oodling with all the technology of the Enduro (massive forged BB/downtube), but I've never heard of quality issues. I was headed to the Enduro myself but decided it was too much bike for my riding style, and instead of the Stumpjumper 120 I looked at the Turner 5-Spot and am headed that route. The Turner linkages balance pedaling and responsiveness best of any ride imho.

And not to make you nervous, but your a big guy, and the 5th Elements on the Enduros haven't been the best with reliability - not terrible either. There will be Fox DHX Airs available that will fit in the slack position, and I believe for '06 it will come standard on at least some Enduro models.

-kcavt

Thanks for the tip:-) I wasn't aware, but just looked it up..
    http://www.mtbadventureseries.org/mt...re/Wendell.htm

I might get down there, but not sure if my sched will allow it.. I'm going to be absurdly busy for some time...
    Last edited by Locoman; 07-12-2005 at 01:43 PM.
    Ween - The Grobe

One of these posts has a Spesh guy saing the DHX coils are in the works too. And I thought I understood that both shock shuttle positions would eventually be available..

And maybe it means something but there's a pic of an '05 Enduro in this months DirtRag sporting the new CaneCreek coil.
    Ween - The Grobe

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    The air shock on the rear of the Enduro is a bit of a question mark. I'd rather go coil and hopefully Fox will do a DHX coil for it. That and the Van 36RC would be a sweet upgrade!

mtbr member
    The air shock on the rear of the Enduro is a bit of a question mark. I'd rather go coil and hopefully Fox will do a DHX coil for it. That and the Van 36RC would be a sweet upgrade!
    One thing for sure is they're building a DHX Air for it - they even put it on the cover of their 2006 rear shock manual. I would think at least the high end '06 Enduros would come with it stock (Pro and S-Works). If I were to get an Enduro, that would be the set-up for me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kcavtca
    One thing for sure is they're building a DHX Air for it - they even put it on the cover of their 2006 rear shock manual. I would think at least the high end '06 Enduros would come with it stock (Pro and S-Works). If I were to get an Enduro, that would be the set-up for me.
    The Fox DHX Air does sound good. I guess the advantage to air is the tuneability. Another good combo might be the Fox DHX Air and a PUSHed 36 (to fix the travel loss issue with the fork that some people are reporting.)