mtbr member
    Feb 2005

05 Enduro Expert vs. SX Trail: where's the weight?

I know the Expert is around 32# and the SXT around 40#, but where is the weight? I know a couple of pounds are in the fork, and I'm assuming that some is in the tries/tubes. Am I missing anything else?

Also, there are the same frames with different paint, right? I'm trying to figure out which way to go between these two. Right now I'm thinking the Expert might be better, but I am wary of the air shock. I love the build of the SXT, but not the height of the fork (seems like it would be WAY too slack for general trail riding - which in my case means really technical singletrack with tons of short climbs and descents). I think the perfect bike would be a blend of the two: an Expert with a coilover rear shock and a bash guard (and a higher rise bar); or an SXT with a 36.

Any words of wisdom?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Dont doubt the 5th air because its not a ordinary 5th air either its on roids i guess. The air chamber is huge and the this is super smooth. I love the fact that Spec sends you two rear links to swap in and out. One raises the BB and pulls the fork in for trail ridiing and the other spreads it all out for some fast downhill. get the expert put a bash gaurd and high rise bar and ride the thing.