mtbr member
    Feb 2005

05 Enduro Expert vs. SX Trail: where's the weight?

I know the Expert is aroung 32# and the SXT around 40#, but where is the weight? I know a couple of pounds are in the fork, and I'm assuming that some is in the tries/tubes. Am I missing anything else?

Also, there are the same frames with different paint, right? I'm trying to figure out which way to go between these two. Right now I'm thinking the Expert might be better, but I am wary of the air shock. I love the build of the SXT, but not the height of the fork (seems like it would be WAY too slack for general trail riding - which in my case means really technical singletrack with tons of short climbs and descents). I think the perfect bike would be a blend of the two: an Expert with a coilover rear shock and a bash guard (and a higher rise bar); or an SXT with a 36.

Any words of wisdom?

mtbr member
    well i think(correct me if i'm wrong) the shock mounts are stronger than the regular enduro just so it can take the coil and since it is stronger it is also heavier. also the shock of the SXT is heavier than the regular air. you can get an SX trail to around 33-34, but that would take a lot of money to get the parts.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by freerider167
    ...the shock mounts are stronger than the regular enduro just so it can take the coil and since it is stronger it is also heavier.
    Jake-Wake would be the one to argue that point. But he still hasn't got back to me on the coil-over Specialized recommends for use on the Enduro. He referred me to Progressive??? Like Progressive guarantees my frame. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...224#post930224

Broken
    the weight is in the wheels, shock, fork and tires...I believe these are the biggest differences. I was looking at the same two bikes and the sales guy asked me If I like to drop or not. I like to drop so the SXTrail was my choice. I thought the same thing you did that the SXTrail would be sooo much better with the 36 instead of the 66...

It's a great all-around bike...I can ride DH, DJ, XC, FR and around the neighborhood. The SXTrail also comes with an extra shock mount to change the head angleand raise the B/B.. Any other questions let me know....here's a pic to show you what the SXTrail can handle

http://=http://www.pinkbike.com/modu...w&image=524301

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Gleeke
    the weight is in the wheels, shock, fork and tires...I believe these are the biggest differences. I was looking at the same two bikes and the sales guy asked me If I like to drop or not. I like to drop so the SXTrail was my choice. I thought the same thing you did that the SXTrail would be sooo much better with the 36 instead of the 66...

It's a great all-around bike...I can ride DH, DJ, XC, FR and around the neighborhood. The SXTrail also comes with an extra shock mount to change the head angleand raise the B/B.. Any other questions let me know....here's a pic to show you what the SXTrail can handle

http://=http://www.pinkbike.com/modu...w&image=524301
    Thanks for the info. So are you running the 66 on the front and if so, how does it do as a trail bike? This is what has me so mixed up between the SXT and the Expert. East coast singletrack (gnarly New England rocks and roots) is full of short climbs and descents, and the thought of hauling a 40 lb bike through that is a bit, well, unsettling. At the same time I live near Mt. Snow, Jiminy Peak, etc and my wife's parents have a cabin at the base of Sun Peaks in BC which we can use whenever.

What is the head angle with the 66? How steep does it get, how slack?

Broken
    I live in RI so I'm riding in almost the same conditons that you are. Head angle is 68.5/69.5 depending on which rear shock mount you have in. I ride in the 68.5 as far as a trail bike goes i can ride this thing anywhere. I was in Arcadia, RI last week...A month ago I was at Attitash, NH...This past sunday I was at Vietnam in Milford, MA...It's the swissarmyknife of bikes.

Do you Huck off anything...if not got the expert and buy yourself a bashgaurd. Also which is cheaper to replace a coil shock or an air shock? Whichever bike has the more $$$ shock that's the one to buy. You can always buy the shock that's less $$$ later if you don't like the one you've got.I like this bike more than my old Bullitt if that's any help.

Good Luck..

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I live in RI so I'm riding in almost the same conditons that you are. Head angle is 68.5/69.5 depending on which rear shock mount you have in. I ride in the 68.5 as far as a trail bike goes i can ride this thing anywhere. I was in Arcadia, RI last week...A month ago I was at Attitash, NH...This past sunday I was at Vietnam in Milford, MA...It's the swissarmyknife of bikes.

Do you Huck off anything...if not got the expert and buy yourself a bashgaurd. Also which is cheaper to replace a coil shock or an air shock? Whichever bike has the more $$$ shock that's the one to buy. You can always buy the shock that's less $$$ later if you don't like the one you've got.I like this bike more than my old Bullitt if that's any help.

Good Luck..
    Wait, it is still 68.5/69.5 even with the 66 on it???
    If so, that's awesome. Yes, I do huck off of stuff - (or at least as much as I can on a rigid bike. Which limits me to maybe the 4 ft range), so the SX trail is looking better and better.

Broken
    That's what Specialized's site says....If you like to huck off things go w/ the SX

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    That's what Specialized's site says....If you like to huck off things go w/ the SX
    Yes, but it also says that about the enduro withthe 36 on it. Unless I'm mistaken these are the same frames (give or take a bit of strengthening here or there), so it stands to reason that the SX will have slacker angles if you run it with a tall fork like the 66. I'm just not sure how much.

All the same, the SX Trail looks like the bike for me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Techfreak
    Yes, but it also says that about the enduro withthe 36 on it. Unless I'm mistaken these are the same frames (give or take a bit of strengthening here or there), so it stands to reason that the SX will have slacker angles if you run it with a tall fork like the 66. I'm just not sure how much.

All the same, the SX Trail looks like the bike for me.
    Here is my Enduro build at exactly 34lbs. When my DHX air comes in the weight will still be well under 35. My build is bomb-proof, in fact many of the parts are stronger than the SXT build. I had a Firefly before the 36 and it was awesome that way too. I'd suggest getting the SXT but "upgrading" to a Sherman Flick 150mm (TPC rocks!) and a Ti spring. Other than that a different set of tires and tubes for trail riding and you are golden.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    SWEET !
    Nice bike! Thanks for the input. Instead of the Flick, what about the Marzocchi Z1.1? Actually, I wish the '06 66 with the lower axel to crown height was available.

Who are the brain police?
    I hear that. I got a stock STX and I'd love to know the real angle on it. If you look at the Specialized website and check out the Enduro's with 150 travel, they all give the same geometry -and doesn't that have to be impossible if the 66 is so much taller than the 36?

I don't trust the listed specs.

But I can say the bike rocks. I live in MA and use it as an all day trail type bike. The weight penalty is offset by it pedaling and the rock solid feel it has.. IMHOP.

Since the fork is tall I use the steeper setting, but change it to slack if I'm going to a place with a ski lift.. I'd love to put some light, but still strong, bling like that other guy, but the $$$ money isn't there for the extra nice stuff since there's a kid on the way.. But even with the weight, I love this bike..
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    FWIW: I measured my head angle with a digital angle finder and with the 36 in the 150mm setting it came out to ~66.8 if I remember correctly. I measured the angle and then flipped the bike 180 dgrees measured again and then averaged the two numbers to be as accurate as possible.

I know what you mean about "not having the money", the only way I was able to build this bike up was by selling my other two bikes (for 2K a piece) and then using the special pricing I get from being in the bike industry. I wish everything else I owned was as tricked out as my bike but that's not the case. I decided that it would be "cost effective" to build one do-it-all bike so I wouldn't be tempted to (over extend myself) and buy a dedicated DH bike. What I'm trying to say is that I justified building this bike by convincing myslef that it was the frugal thing to do I understand my logic, but my girlfriend thinks I'm nuts.

I am really curious as to how one of thses bikes would feel with the Avalanche woody shock. I be it would make a really nice nimble freerider. I'm goinng for the DHX air because I pedal a lot but for DH only I'd love to slap an Avy on there. They actually make the correct size (8.75x2.5") so all you would need is custom bushings/mounts. Also if you jumped up to 9.0X2.75" the travel would jump to 170mm. and the BB would only be minutely higher. That would be really nice with an '06 170mm 66 fork I bet. In fact I wouldn't be surprised to see something like that stock on the SXT for '06, or at least I wouldn't be disappointed anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Locoman
    I hear that. I got a stock STX and I'd love to know the real angle on it. If you look at the Specialized website and check out the Enduro's with 150 travel, they all give the same geometry -and doesn't that have to be impossible if the 66 is so much taller than the 36?

I don't trust the listed specs.

But I can say the bike rocks. I live in MA and use it as an all day trail type bike. The weight penalty is offset by it pedaling and the rock solid feel it has.. IMHOP.

Since the fork is tall I use the steeper setting, but change it to slack if I'm going to a place with a ski lift.. I'd love to put some light, but still strong, bling like that other guy, but the $$$ money isn't there for the extra nice stuff since there's a kid on the way.. But even with the weight, I love this bike..

You've got a sweet whip there.. high drool factor.

I could get some upgrade scratch if I sold my XC bike.. -but I'm too attached. Plus I like having the second bike for times I'm waiting on a replacement part etc..
    Ween - The Grobe

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Hey Locoman
    I'm in MA too. Great riding - especially the singletrack - around here. I heard that there are only 3 of these things in my size left for the year. But that kind of sucks since I won't be buying until the end of August.
    Does anybody know if there will be an '06 version of it?

Good question. I haven't heard anything about '06.. ????
    Ween - The Grobe

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    [IMG]

I have the Enduro Expert and it rocks. Great all mountian riding and some freeride. My bike weights 33lbs and that all stock but stans tubeless. I love the bike the 36 is smooth.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Techfreak
    Hey Locoman
    I'm in MA too. Great riding - especially the singletrack - around here. I heard that there are only 3 of these things in my size left for the year. But that kind of sucks since I won't be buying until the end of August.
    Does anybody know if there will be an '06 version of it?
    i hope, but i'd like to know the specs