mtbr member

'05 Enduro Expert vs. '06 Enduro Elite?

Hmm, so here's my dilemma.

My LBS can get me either the '05 Expert, or the '06 Elite (the new Comp version basically) for the same price. One one hand, the '06 has the better rear shock, but on the other hand, the '05 has the better front fork for the same price. The '06's also have a lot more SRAM parts, but to be honest, I don't mind Shimano parts at all, have had nothing but good luck with them

'05 Enduro Expert:
    Fox 36R Talas 110-150mm
    5th Element

'06 Enduro Elite
    Fox Float RL 130mm
    Fox DHX Air 4.0 w/ProPedal

I'll be using this bike for everything from small urban stuff, to technical singletrack, to long XC rides on smooth crushed limestone trails. I tend to be a fairly aggressive rider, and am getting this bike to replace my '05 Stumpy HT Disc. Great bike, but time to move up to a sturdier full suspension ride.

So, is it more important to go with the better rear shock or front fork, in your opinion?
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mechmann_mtb
    i just got an 05 Expert and it rocks. i don't think the 06 is much of an improvement.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mechmann_mtb
    i just got an 05 Expert and it rocks. i don't think the 06 is much of an improvement.
    Me too. The '05 Expert is awesome.

mtbr member
    Oh man, you guys are no help Just kidding.

No issues with the rear shocks, I thought some people were having problems with them?
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I just got an 05 Expert too, love those runout sales . Its a great bike, I dunno about rear shock longevity yet, but the 36R is awesome, I'd rather have this fork and maybe upgrade to a DHX Air later if I have problems with the Fifth Element.

mtbr member
    Same here. You'll love the 36. Mine 5th is running great (after they changed it). I run less psi than reccomended and simply enjoy the ride. Sorry for not helping you, ha,ha. Sweet problems indeed.

mechmann_mtb

what i was told about the 5th element...

i talked to two of the top mechanics in my area, this is what they had to say about the 5th Element.

1) The issues with shocks dropping pressure were due to a leaky schrader valve. The factory will send you free replacements. ALWAYS MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR VALVE CAPS ON AND TIGHT TO REDUCE THE CHANCES OF CONTAMINATING THE SEALS.

2) People complain about some oil leakage, if the shock is new some oil leaks out. Clean it. If the shock is totally beat up and you don't take care of the seals it will leak. Take care of your equipment and it will be fine.

3) Improper adjustment accounts for most of the rest of the complaining. Read the manual and follow the directions.

according to these guys, Progressive Suspension engineered the air shock technology to the point it is at now. they said that all the mistakes were made by progressive so when Fox entered the market the pitfalls were identified. the absense of all the little adjusting knobs is half the reason people don't like the shock.

bottom line: the shock is good. if it fails it will most likely be covered.

mtbr member
    i'd get the 05, but then again the 06 has a nice component spec. also i heard they have a chain guid thing on it and some other cool stuff. i'd get the 06 if you do trail riding maybe downhill and freeride and some XC. if you do more xc and not much freeride or dh i'd get the 05 cause then the chain guide won't bee needed that much and it will be more suited for xc stuff compared to the 06. but for my style i would go with the 06 since it already has the DHX air and upgrade the fork to an RC if you can.both bikes would be good for singletrack and trail riding. so i say get the 06

mtbr member
    Thanks guys, much appreciated!
    Tarekith.com