mtbr member
    Jul 2007

05 enduro DHX tuning??

Anyone have any thoughts about how to make the DHX 5.0 air go through rough stuff better? I have the version with out the boost chamber valve so I cant mess with that pressure. I have tried messing with it a bunch but have never been able to get the thing to go through rocks well. To be honest I think the 5th element that came on it went better through rocks but everyone says that the dhx is much better but so far it has not been like that for me. If I cant get it figured out I am just going to get a coil shock I guess. So I guess my real question is can a DHX Air be tuned to go through rocks well. Im just looking for it to be decent im not ecpecting it to go through like a coil shock.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    First use the air pressure to set up the sag. (Does the shock have any compression controls?)

Chances are the key is in good rebound, you want the wheel to track the ground well - yet still be ready to take bigger hits - so set that air pressure correctly, not too hard. Roll the garden with rebound almost off, fast as possible. Then make it sslower in small increments, each time rolling the same garden. You should be able to find the sweet spot that way.

trail addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Teamsuzukirm19z
    Anyone have any thoughts about how to make the DHX 5.0 air go through rough stuff better?
    I weigh about 170 with all riding gear and I have found a 170 psi to be a pretty good air pressure for me. I run no propedal. Bottom resistance almost all the way in (like a half-turn out from all the way in). I was running very high rebound (like like 3 or 4 clicks from full) but I found that I needed faster rebound for fast, bumpy trails, so now i run rebound about half.

For my riding, with these settings, low-speed stuff doesn't always feel good. That is a compromise I am willing to live with for great mid to high-speed handling. I do get good pop for pumping and jumping. I can enter a rocky section slowly and actually feel the bike settle down as I accelerate through it.

HTH
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy
    First use the air pressure to set up the sag. (Does the shock have any compression controls?)

Chances are the key is in good rebound, you want the wheel to track the ground well - yet still be ready to take bigger hits - so set that air pressure correctly, not too hard. Roll the garden with rebound almost off, fast as possible. Then make it sslower in small increments, each time rolling the same garden. You should be able to find the sweet spot that way.
    The shock has propedal and bottom out adjustments but lacks the boost valve adjustment I think I read on here it is pre set at 150lbs. I will try messing around with the rebound I have tried with pro pedal all the way off and felt like the shock was just being overworked and never had a chance to settle. I also have the bottom out all the way in, not because I bottom it with it out but it feels really mushy when the bottom out is not set in. Im only 155lbs and I usually run 160psi in the ait chamber I am going to try measuring my sag now and see what it is Im curious if my bottom out adjuster being all the way in maybe im not using the traval the right way??

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Six Pack
    I weigh about 170 with all riding gear and I have found a 170 psi to be a pretty good air pressure for me. I run no propedal. Bottom resistance almost all the way in (like a half-turn out from all the way in). I was running very high rebound (like like 3 or 4 clicks from full) but I found that I needed faster rebound for fast, bumpy trails, so now i run rebound about half.

For my riding, with these settings, low-speed stuff doesn't always feel good. That is a compromise I am willing to live with for great mid to high-speed handling. I do get good pop for pumping and jumping. I can enter a rocky section slowly and actually feel the bike settle down as I accelerate through it.

HTH
    With all riding gear im prolly closer to 160 so only 10lbs off I will give your settings a try. I always run really fast rebound and the bottom out about all the way in I think I may have been running about 7 clicks of pro pedal though so maybe that is killing the small bump however I have tried with it off and felt is as if the shock was being over worked and with some propedal I thought it had a little better mid stroke compression. I should mention that I want to use this bike as a mini DH bike. As the bike is now it jumps great turns amazing and will handel any drop I send it off of but when It sees a rock garden its like it gets scared.