mtbr member
    Apr 2004

New question here. '05 Enduro Comp-help a soldier out!

Hey, I want to get an enduro as a gift for my brother. I just need some advice on size. Specialized lists the specs, but no recommendations for sizes. My brother is 6' 2". He is a semi-aggressive rider. He rails singletrack, but is timid on steep technical stuff. Would he be alrite on a medium? OR should I get him a large frame?

Thanks in advance...

This is bat country.
    I would recommend a L since he is so tall. I'm 6'4" and ride an XL Stumpy. I feel right at home on that thing. What size does he ride now?
    If the rig made the rider, I'd be pro...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbiker731
    I would recommend a L since he is so tall. I'm 6'4" and ride an XL Stumpy. I feel right at home on that thing. What size does he ride now?
    Thanks for replying!

Great question. Unfortunately, I can't go look at his bike in the garage. I'm in the middle-east right now. He rides a trek HT at the moment. I believe it's a 19" frame... Would that be equivalent to a Specialized size Lg?

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbiker731
    I too ride a Stumpy XL and I'm 5'11". I think that for me the bike is just a little large, but with a shorter stem I feel it is a very good fit.

mtbr member
    A large in the Enduro should be perfect for him.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    I'm 6'-1" and ride an XL, I rode an XL stumpy... I think that L might be too small... I also rode a L bighit, and didn't like the short cockpit at all...

mtbr member
    Ist of all thank you for your SERVICE....get home safe!!!
    Your brother might feel better riding the XL ....He should be fitted to the bike.....buying the bike for him is cool of you but I think the chance of getting the wrong size is a poss
    Good luck!

~Boat

Track Junkie
    If he's agressive, get the Large. Just get the Large. Large. L.

-B
    I get paid to ride shotgun.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    For what its worth, I am 6' 2" and ride a 04 Enduro L. Its a perfect fit for me. I recently tried a meduim 06 Enduro at my LBS and it did feel a bit small.

Gravity Rides Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by praetorian
    Thanks for replying!

Great question. Unfortunately, I can't go look at his bike in the garage. I'm in the middle-east right now. He rides a trek HT at the moment. I believe it's a 19" frame... Would that be equivalent to a Specialized size Lg?

i believe the spec'd Large is about 19" if he's 6'2 on a 19 it seems he prefers a slightly smaller frame (often helps for standover clearance and maneuverability) so i'd say the L frame is probably a better choice than the XL.

the geometry specs for all the bikes can be found on the specialized website

huffin' n' puffin'
    I'm 5'11" with a 31" inseam.
    I ride an "L" '05 Enduro Comp and it feels great.
    I rode an "M" and I felt really cramped.

Hope this helps...

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

I'd go with the larger...

Since you mentioned that he is timid on the downhills. Choose a bike that will improve his weaknesses. I like a larger frame with a shorter stem (80mm) for downhills. It inspires confidence and you don't feel like you might go over the bars... Just my opinion... I am 5' 5" and ride a medium 04 enduro. I am faster on this bike than I ever was on my small 2000 enduro. I used to be timid on technical downhills. Now, on the downhills, I shift to the large chainring, and let her rip!

Oh, and.. Can I be your other brother?
    Last edited by FSRguy; 11-12-2005 at 12:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Good job!

Ist of all thank you for your SERVICE....get home safe!!!
    Hey, it's good peeps like you all that made me choose to serve. I appreciate your kind words. Thanks again for your input. I decided to get him a Large. The cool vibe in this forum makes me even more confident about getting him a Specialized, even tho I'm gonna buy a Nomad!

Quote Originally Posted by FSRguy
    Oh, and.. Can I be your other brother?
    You already are! We're riding brothers!!