Addicted
    May 2006

05 Enduro Comp 130 project bike

After a lot of testing of the 2010 Stumpjumper, 2010 Enduro and 2010 Reign and a good chunk of help from a thread on here I decided to buy a Reign. Giant unfortunately has no more Reigns in stock. The shop I work at does but I'd rather order one straight from Giant at cost, which means waiting until 2011. I'm not one to let the summer go to waste and while I've got plenty of bikes to ride, I really wanted something to thrash around on at places like Post Canyon, Falls Creek and what not. So I went in search of something that would get me through the summer.
    The main idea what good geometry and damn cheap.

I picked up an '05 Enduro Comp 130 for $250 with an XT Octalink crank, LX derailleur and stock headset.
    I quickly flipped the link to get a 68* headangle and 12.8" bottom bracket height. Bearings were in fantastic shape. I washed the bike and began throwing parts at it that I had sitting around.

The fork is a Fox Float RL 140 off a Fisher Fat Possum.
    Bashguard is an FSA poly guard that a local BMXer that I ride with sold to me for $5 as he was parting out his mtb. The guard is brand new.
    Wheels are just basic shimano centerlock hubs with Specialized double wall rims.
    I've got some LX shifters sitting here for it
    Brakes are an older set of Magura Julies. A customer couldn't bleed them because the top cap bolt was stripped. I sold him some XT's and he gave me the brakes. I drilled the head off, bleed the brakes and threw a new bolt in.
    The cassette is a Sram PG970(not shown)
    Pedals are Cannondale Grind.
    I'm a tire whore. I've got over 100 tires right now and the Ardents didn't thrill me too much on the DH bikes so we'll test them out for more all-mountain/jumping/general thrashing.

I need to order a stem, handlebars and a longer seatpost. I should come in at under $400 for the complete build.

I've recently started to reorganize the garage and ended up with a bigger mess as I just ended up throwing different parts on different bikes. As of right now I have no more room for any more bikes but will be added a new road bike and a Reign in the next coming months.
    Once the Enduro is all together I'll start building a 16 bike double decker rack that will house my bikes and of course the tires that don't fit in my current moto tire rack.

DSG
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    That bike is still an awesome ride. Handlebars & stem would be useful!

Stray Bullet
    I"d put a 7.5" x 2.0" shock on it. Lower the BB even further.

Addicted
    May 2006
    A new rear shock would add to the total build cost, slack out the head angle as well as the seat angle and making it less fun for climbing.
    I'm already at a 67.5* head angle and have no desire to go any slacker.
    The stock geometry will work for now, I just want to get it built up and riding. With 15 bikes in the stable already(new 2010 Demo 8 II showed up yesterday) and 2 more planned next year, I've no desire to make this thing absolutely perfect, just fun and cheap.

Maybe somewhere down the rode I'll take your suggestion and try it out.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    wow, that's a lot of bikes!! Nice deal on that Enduro! I use to have 2001 enduro and it was rock solid. Still running with my bro in law!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Nice. I had that exact bike for a while, sold it and bought an 02 frame that I built from the ground up. (The 05 was a medium frame, too small for me)

The only thing I would suggest is to find a trash can and install the rear shock within it. That shock is TERRIBLE. My new build has a coil 5th element, which makes a world of difference compared to the RP23. It does change the geometry slightly, since it's a 7.875x2.25, but I'm running a Duc 32 up front, so I think it evens out, but I haven't actually measured the head tube angle.

Addicted
    May 2006
    I made a wee bit of progress today.
    I was screwing around in the garage getting my gear ready for TDB support tomorrow and got side tracked and ended up throwing some bits at the Enduro.

Stem: Thomson 70mm. I pulled it off my Foes Fly as I've got a 60mm stem en route for the Fly.
    Bars: Specialized Demo bar. I wasn't too thrilled about the handlebar height on my 2010 Demo 8 II complete so I threw a new bar at the Demo, and the Enduro got the Demo bar
    Headset: Still the stock headset, however... I grabbed a wee little spacer and stacked it on top of the compression ring and stuck an old trashed Directset top cap on and found a lower race that matched up to get things rolling smooth with a minimal stack height.
    Brakes: Bleed the brakes and installed them. Rear line is a tad short so it's routed next to the crank arm instead of below the BB, but nothing rubs so for now it's going to work.

The match to the front shifter is on my Arrow DSS. I'll pull it off that and swap an LX shifter onto the DSS.
    The front derailleur has some nasty gunk caked on it and it's been soaking in a mild solvent for a bit. It's all clean and ready to be installed.
    I've got a smaller rear tire for the Enduro. I'll swap a High Roller on there. I can't stand mismatched tire brands. Simple pet peeve of mine; the Ardent fits, but barely so the High Roller will have to do.

Current status:

I haven't been too concerned about getting this thing done as I'm having too much fun on the Foes ProLite XC hardtail and this little guy: