mtbr member
    Oct 2005

05 base Rockhopper or 06 Hardrock Comp Disk.

I am new to the MTB scene and I know already what the bikes are for and both would do the job . My question is do I go for the rockhopper which feels solid and much lighter and cheaper at $399 or should I go for the 06 Rockhopper comp disc? What's appeling about the 06 Hardrock is all the extra's you get like the disk brakes and the good fork and the Sram derailers, I really wouldnt have to do much as far as upgrades for the Hardrock comp disk but it is also $200 more than the 05 Rockhopper and much heavier.

Over all, which bike is a better buy and one that I will be happer with on 40% urban 60% trail riding.

I live Inner Houston and will make the occasional trip to some Austin trials,just to give you an idea of my biking scenario.

TXAG
    Oct 2005
    Hey man I am hopefully going to be buying a Rockhopper in the next couple months. I have ridden both and I just like the Rockhopper a little better. The discs on the Hardrock are really not all that great either. I also live in Houston and ride the anthills all the time. I would go with the rockhopper if you can spend the cash. Either way, just get out and ride whatever you can.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I have had 2 RockHopper Disc's 04, then 05 - about to get my 3rd the '06 (don't ask why)
    but it's very robust. Im a novice but ride it hard over hard rock / ground or roots.
    It's not let me down once apart from a broken Drop Bar (still don't know how)

So if you can upgrade to RockHopper Disc - I would
    If not leave the Hardrock and get the base RockHopper - good frame
    Steve

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

05 Rockhopper or 06 Hardrock Comp Disk

Thanks for all the feedback and I think you are both right. The Rockhopper is an all around better bike. It was amazing how much better the Rockhopper felt compared to the Hardrock not to say the Hardrock sucks but the Rockhopper felt so much lighter and easier to just throw around. I soon as I tried both of them It was clear which one felt better, I guess it was the aggressive look and all the extras you get with the Hardrock Comp Disk that kept me thinking.
    There's no doubt that if I had an extra few hundred I would go with the RockHopper Comp Disk.