mtbr member
    Oct 2004

'05 or '06 Epic Comp?

Is it worth it to pay around $500 more or so for a '06 which has the M5 frame, 10 more mm of rear travel, and brain fade (although reading a thread below there doesn't seem to be much if any of a diff. between the '05 brain and the brain fade on the Epic)? Are there any other significant differences I may have missed from the two years?
    Is SJ a "safer" choice than an epic?

K n e e m o i
    Quote Originally Posted by collinja
    Is it worth it to pay around $500 more or so for a '06 which has the M5 frame, 10 more mm of rear travel, and brain fade (although reading a thread below there doesn't seem to be much if any of a diff. between the '05 brain and the brain fade on the Epic)? Are there any other significant differences I may have missed from the two years?
    Is SJ a "safer" choice than an epic?
    2006 M5 frame and 2005 M4 frame - I doubt there is a significant difference. Maybe 100g at the most.

10mm more travel - I doubt you notice a difference.

Brain fade - Supposedly they alleviated the "on-off" feeling that was present on the 05 shock, and added adjustability, so that it can go from fully locked (like a hardtail) to very firm propedalish feel. I think it is one of those gimmicks. Locking out the rear shock on an Epic seems pretty stupid, and that extra function probably adds more weight.

After a year of hard riding, I am saying goodbye to my epic as the bike is just too racy for me, but good luck on your purchase.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Daffunda
    2006 M5 frame and 2005 M4 frame - I doubt there is a significant difference. Maybe 100g at the most.

10mm more travel - I doubt you notice a difference.

Brain fade - Supposedly they alleviated the "on-off" feeling that was present on the 05 shock, and added adjustability, so that it can go from fully locked (like a hardtail) to very firm propedalish feel. I think it is one of those gimmicks. Locking out the rear shock on an Epic seems pretty stupid, and that extra function probably adds more weight.

After a year of hard riding, I am saying goodbye to my epic as the bike is just too racy for me, but good luck on your purchase.
    Moving to an Epic I fell will be a fine transition for me given I have only had a hardtail to date. However, I plan on trying to demo both an Epic and a Stumpy before pulling the trigger. Did you have an '05 Epic or earlier year?

K n e e m o i
    Quote Originally Posted by collinja
    Moving to an Epic I fell will be a fine transition for me given I have only had a hardtail to date. However, I plan on trying to demo both an Epic and a Stumpy before pulling the trigger. Did you have an '05 Epic or earlier year?
    Yes I still have the epic, but will transfer all the parts I have changed on it to the new Titus. I came from a hardtail also, but I just wanted a more active FS bike, as the epic is not fully active.

The only problem with the Epic is that when you are going over consecutive bumps, you feel the shock delay where you feel it activating unexpectedly. (You feel when the shock "gives" and feel it working, when you expected it to work all the time on those consecutive bumps.) This is the trait of the Specialized brain shock, which I really don't like.

I haven't ridden the 06 brain, so I can't say for sure, but if you are a serious racer, Epic is probably right for you. I thought I was going to get into some serious racing when I got the bike, but decided racing is not for me, as all the titanium hardtail guys with sub 20lb setup is passing me, when my epic weighs around 25lb. If you are going to be "half-assed" like me and not really a serious racer, then I think you'd be happy with a stumpjumper.

But I do love the fact that you get zero bob even when you hammer out of the pedal though.