endorphin addict
    Aug 2007

05 / 06 enduro owners, hows your bike pedal?

I just finished a build on a pristine 05 enduro expert frame that I picked up on ebay. I weighed at the lbs came in at 32.5 pounds. I'm wondering how that weight compares with other builds and how your bikes climb.

It's a little over three pounds heavier than my fisher hifi pro (which I just broke). I've got three or four rides in on it now and it's kicking my ass on the climbs. I didn't think 3 or 4 pounds would make such a difference. Hopefully I'll adjust to it? think I need to ditch the huge front tire, maybe it will roll faster with a 2.35 front. The bike descends like a dream once it's up to speed, which can take a little bit. Rock gardens that used to challenge me on the other bike are already getting boring. Here's my build:

05 enduro expert frame size M
    5th element air shock
    '07 Fox 36 Float R 160mm ($689 @ greenfish, yeah!)
    '07 XT crankset
    XT Shifters
    XT Shadow R der
    XT Front der
    XTR chain
    XT rear Cass
    RaceFace Bash Ring
    647 pedals
    Bonty Rhythm Elite 28mm wheelset
    Maxxis Highroller 2.35 LUST rear
    Bonty Big Earl 2.5 (more like 2.7) tubless non-UST
    Juicy Five 185 front / 160 rear
    Thomson 90mm stem
    Titec Hell Bent (gold) Bars
    Spesh Headset, seat post clamp
    Bonty Race seat post
    WTB Laser V seat
    ODI Rogue lock-on grips

eBiker
    My 06 Enduro pedals like poo if I get on the gas (stand and mash) and don't have the shock set up correctly. These Enduros have a fair amount of squat under hard pedaling, but they are super plush on the downs and a great ride.

I put an aftermarket 5th coil 6way on mine and after a while of tuning and notes, it's plush and a good pedaler. Now I only adjust preload for my conditions.

I don't know the adjustments on the 5th air, but take notes and ride until you get it in the ballpark.

P

dirt visionary
    5th air is crap get a dhx air or coil both have propedal which can tune out that bob.

endorphin addict
    Aug 2007
    Ya I noticed standing up and hammering doesn't seem to be an option except for short bursts to clear rocks or something.

endorphin addict
    Aug 2007
    I've got that DHX Air on my wish list

Fat Skis/Fat Tires
    I had an '06 Ebduro before my SL, with a heavy build (DH rims, 36 hole, 12 gauge spokes) and 2.4 Tires front and rear.

It came in at a dainty 38lbs. but still pedaled pretty well with the DHX 5.0.

I used the attitude adjust on my Manitou Sherman to squat it to 110mm on almost every climb, but never do it on my SL.
    Last edited by El Castigador; 12-11-2007 at 06:44 AM.

Wuss extraordinare
    just watch those chain stays on the left side, I just busted mine! I've got an 05 as well.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BushPilot
    I've got that DHX Air on my wish list
    Get a DHX coil instead. With a Ti spring it only weighs half a pound or so more than the DHX air, but is so much better. I had the DHX air for 2 years and could never get it right. Had it serviced and rebuilt under warranty several times, but it still wasn't great. Since getting the DHX5 coil through Specialized in the right size (8.75 x 2.75, spaced down to 8.75 x 2.5) its been fantastic.

Its easy to loose a bit more weight from elsewhere if its a concern, but mine weighs around 32/33 and I use it for everything - XC, street, "All Mountain", and a bit of freeride too. Having 2 or 3 different wheelsets help with that...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    That chainstay problem is a real nuisance - I've broken two myself and am now on the third replacement. But that one is made differently and has an extra plate welded on the inside of the left hand stay - where they always snap.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by geetee1972
    That chainstay problem is a real nuisance - I've broken two myself and am now on the third replacement. But that one is made differently and has an extra plate welded on the inside of the left hand stay - where they always snap.
    curious about this chainstay problem and how they get snapped. What were you doing when it snapped? I find it hard to believe that they could because the rest of the frame is super beefy. Do you have a pic of the new chainstay? I'd like to see if they improved that on the 06 models-Btw mine pedals pretty good but it has the dhx air. I don't win any xc medals with it, but it hooks up over rough/steep terrain better than my XC ellsworth truth-

Wuss extraordinare
    Take a look at this, not my bike but exactly where mine broke
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by albino rhino
    Take a look at this, not my bike but exactly where mine broke
    for some reason i'm not able to see the pic, my browser keeps making me login
    let me guess the break point- it's the part where it connects to the seatstay right? I was looking at the left chainstay and that part looks to be a weakspot...

dirt visionary
    Well bike parks and freeriding an all mountain bike can do that. I have an 06 and freeride it also but never have broken a chainstay.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    mine pedals very wel but ill have to wind the propedal up.
    Only thing is that i always pedal strikes