mtbr member
    Sep 2004

'04 Stumpy FSR Pro Frame - A couple 'o questions

I'm contemplating purchasing an 2004 Stumpy frame and doing a build over the next couple of months to ease the boredom of a Canadian winter.

First question.......I have a rather gnome like body, I'm about 5' 9" but have short legs, probably a 29" inseam. The frame I'm looking at is 18" and I'm wondering if that's going to be OK in terms of fit. My current hardtail is an 18" frame but I'm wondering if a FS bike fits differently.

Second question.....is there anything specific I need to look for with this particular frame in terms of problem areas etc.. I've never owned a full suspension bike and I've never done a build before so any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    I ride an '04 stumpy FSR. I'm 5' 9.5" with 32" inseam. My bike frame is a medium, not sure about the inches. I believe I'm on the upper end for a medium size. I don't know of any problem areas, but I had to buy new bushings and reducers for the rear shock mount at the end of last year. I think that is normal bike wear, though. Hope that is helpful!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I ride an '04 SJ FSR XC size large. I'm 6'4" with about 35.5" inseam (typically 34" in "jeans-size"). I don't think they measured the '04s in inches. I had a HT that was supposed to be 21" and the SJ is a little bit smaller. It is also a little bit smaller than my friends Rockhopper 21" (model '03 or '04). I think 18" sounds about right for you, but I have noticed that a lot of people in the US use the Large, even if they are 4" shorter than me.

mtbr member
    I built up my 04 SJ Pro as a frame also, no problems at all, even with the dreaded Triad.
    I'm about an inch shorter than you and I run a medium. Like Ace Venture says, "Like a glove".

Lou.
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    Airborne Ti HT
    Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Thanks everyone for your responses. Definitely helps me with the decision making process. I'm guessing then that an 18" is probably a medium frame......cool.

Lou, I'm curious about your comments on the "dreaded" Triad rear shock. Can you elaborate?

Thanks,
    Paul.

EDIT: I think I found out what the issue with the Triad is........getting stuck down. I'll have to check the condition of the shock on the frame when I see it in person.
    Last edited by fatboyp; 02-03-2007 at 05:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Im 5'7" ride a med w/the stock stem, fit is perfect

wayne
    89 Univega HT -???-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -stolen-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    94 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    97 Klien Mantra -sold-
    01 Specd enduro FSR
    02 Specd enduro FSR -sold-
    04 Specd stumpjumper FSR
    05 Specd enduro FSR Sworks

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider
    I built up my 04 SJ Pro as a frame also, no problems at all, even with the dreaded Triad.

Lou.
    Not sure where "dreaded triad" comes from. The '04 stumpy fsr frames were far better than the following Septune shocks, and were pretty well known to be about the best you could get. I still have my '04 stumpy w/ full xtr and of course the triad and it outperforms these newer overpriced brain-using shocks today.

NormalNorm
    Quote Originally Posted by fatboyp
    Lou, I'm curious about your comments on the "dreaded" Triad rear shock. Can you elaborate?
    EDIT: I think I found out what the issue with the Triad is........getting stuck down. I'll have to check the condition of the shock on the frame when I see it in person.
    The 2004 Triad is junk.....Mine went twice in the first year. I sent it to PUSH industries after the third time(2006). Haven't had a problem since. Plan on the shock going on you. Also, check the bushings for wear on the linkage(ovalized hole). This is very common on the FSR's. Great bike though.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by linkbeat
    Not sure where "dreaded triad" comes from. The '04 stumpy fsr frames were far better than the following Septune shocks, and were pretty well known to be about the best you could get. I still have my '04 stumpy w/ full xtr and of course the triad and it outperforms these newer overpriced brain-using shocks today.
    The post directly above is where the "dreaded" comes from. Personally, I think it's a great shock and haven't had a problem with it. I may get it Pushed but that's just personal preference, had the Float R on my Enduro Pushed also.

Lou
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    Airborne Ti HT
    Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

mtbr member
    Just checked out the specs for the 04 Stumpy FSR Pro. I thought their FSRs only come in s, m, l, xl? Only their HTs come in inch sizes, where the 18" is like the model "between" their M & L. I have an 18" HT Stumpy. Did you measure the seat tube yourself to get that measurement? Not sure about their problem areas but check out the archive bike area. The geometry will be much different than HTs. A "L" standover is just over 29" and the wheelbase may be a bit much for you, so if you actually have a medium, you're good to go. Good luck!