mtbr member

'04 Stumpy FSR - Fox Float R rear?

I am thinking of getting a new 2004 Stumpjumper FSR. A local store says they got a shipment of overstock base european models and are selling them at a good price. About $800 less than an '06.
    These are red with solid white lettering, have a fox float R rear, manitou black elite fronts (coil springs), V-brakes, LX/XT drivetrain. Its a lower spec model, but still has the M4 frame. I cant find that model anywhere else, even on specialized european site. Does anyone know of this model, or is the store trying to pass off old parts?
    I cant really afford a full '06 stumpy so this sounds like a good option if those parts are ok.

Humpmaster general
    I don't know the exact model you talking about, but with the exception of the color it sounds like the 2004 base model Stumpjumper.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkM...zia77e9.j27001

I did not think there was a base model released in europe.

I don't know what price you were quoted, but I got my 2004 FSR SJ in Feb of 2005 for $1250.

I think it is a great bike. I am looking into a 120mm bike though.
    your moma's so ugly, one time she looked out of the window and got arrested for mooning

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hass
    . I am looking into a 120mm bike though.
    Did you give up on putting on a Talas and the 120mm rear link thingy?

I love my 2004 SJ but was thinking about putting the Talas up front.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info.
    Yes that one is close, seems just a different colour. I dont think the base model is officially sold here in canada. I hope that doesnt affect the warranty.
    No medium size '05 left around here so my only other option would be the '06 pro disk for $2200-2500CAD.
    How does the rear end hold up after use, does it lose air or show worn bearings? Im hoping this bike will last a few years for me.

Humpmaster general
    Quote Originally Posted by crashtoomuch
    Did you give up on putting on a Talas and the 120mm rear link thingy?

I love my 2004 SJ but was thinking about putting the Talas up front.

I decided to stay away from the Betd 120mm link, because I am 225 lbs right now and believe with the extra leverage ratio I would be running near the max of the pressure limit of the rear shock.

If I was below 200 pounds. I would do it.
    your moma's so ugly, one time she looked out of the window and got arrested for mooning

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hass
    I decided to stay away from the Betd 120mm link, because I am 225 lbs right now and believe with the extra leverage ratio I would be running near the max of the pressure limit of the rear shock.
    What about just doing the Talas? Seems like the 125mm could be nice on rocky downhill sections.

Any idea if the Talas RL is an ok version? I think they make an RLC, so this would be missing the C - compression adjustment?

Humpmaster general
    Quote Originally Posted by crashtoomuch
    What about just doing the Talas? Seems like the 125mm could be nice on rocky downhill sections.

Any idea if the Talas RL is an ok version? I think they make an RLC, so this would be missing the C - compression adjustment?

I never heard anything bad about the Fox Talas. I have never seen a RL, only a RLC. The adjustable travel on the Talas would be right on time.

In theory, the added 1 to 30mm extra travel would throw off your handeling. I have seen people do it with the old 80 and 100 mm FSRXC, with no apparent problems, but I have never ridden one.

You already have a Fox Float on your SJ right. I don't think I could justify the extra $600 for 30mm of adjustable travel you would get moving up to the Talas.

Seems like you could sell your bike, take the $600 you would have spent on the Talas, the $150 you would have spent on the betd link, throw in a $100 or so and get a 2005 120mm Stumpjumper.